Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2015, 07:45 PM

495 posts, read 684,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It was but it wasn't at the same time and I loved it for that reason.
It was almost exactly the same as A New Hope and a bit of empire and jedi. Thats why I was so enraged as I left the theater. This was supposed to be Star Wars VII not an almost identical plot for plot copy of A New Hope. It just shows you how lazy and unoriginal Jar Jar abrams and disney are.

And forget major plot lines J J had the balls to put in two minor characters from A New Hope doing the EXACT same thing. Dicktrunk( spy at the canteena looking for the droids) and Porkins( fat x wing pilot attacking a death star). The only difference in Awakens is that dicktrunk is a woman and porkins doesn't die. Where is my original sequel jar jar abrams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 08:19 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I do also tend to agree with this, and I think I leaned toward the "extended trailer" concept in my previous post.

For sure, the most fun thing about A New Hope was the way it combined so many action-adventure movie tropes--sci-fi, western, pirate, detective-- into a fascinating new view and story. But The Force Awakens did depend wholly on the Star Wars saga itself.
That's one of the reasons my friend didn't like this movie. It was all just too much of the same to him.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:39 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader44 View Post
It was almost exactly the same as A New Hope and a bit of empire and jedi. Thats why I was so enraged as I left the theater. This was supposed to be Star Wars VII not an almost identical plot for plot copy of A New Hope. It just shows you how lazy and unoriginal Jar Jar abrams and disney are.

And forget major plot lines J J had the balls to put in two minor characters from A New Hope doing the EXACT same thing. Dicktrunk( spy at the canteena looking for the droids) and Porkins( fat x wing pilot attacking a death star). The only difference in Awakens is that dicktrunk is a woman and porkins doesn't die. Where is my original sequel jar jar abrams.
Um, Phantom Menace was hated for being too different from A New Hope in plot and look. As much as I like it, I admit that is a bad Star Wars film. Force Awakens however had the nods and at times plot points but it was still original in some ways and for that I loved it. I'm not going to say you are wrong but let's remember that Phantom Menace was different and sucked. I'm starting to wonder if people just like to complain about the movies and nitpick everything, even the special edition changes.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:55 PM

28,678 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Um, Phantom Menace was hated for being too different from A New Hope in plot and look. As much as I like it, I admit that is a bad Star Wars film. Force Awakens however had the nods and at times plot points but it was still original in some ways and for that I loved it. I'm not going to say you are wrong but let's remember that Phantom Menace was different and sucked. I'm starting to wonder if people just like to complain about the movies and nitpick everything, even the special edition changes.
No, you do make a point.

This point has been proven over and over again with long-time Trekkies (and I use that term deliberately). Move away a bit from the formula, and Trekkies will scourge you, even when the acting is excellent and the stories superb. That was especially the case with DS9, which I'd argue that standing on its own legs is the best of all the Trek series in terms of acting and story. The most bitter criticism is always: It's different.

I think Abrams learned that with the Star Trek reboot. By far, the most successful points with Trekkies was in where it paid respectful homage to TOS. Even a dog learns to repeat what gets him the treat.

Personally, they all have gotten my money.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:16 PM

BTW, the animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars:Rebels are canon and are good Star Wars as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpXNOz-hbgA

Old 12-27-2015, 12:47 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,260,346 times
I wish Ahsoka wasn't so annoying in the Clone Wars otherwise I might enjoy it.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:02 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,573,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I did think that Daisy Ridley was a breath of fresh air.
Amen!
Quote:
I thought that the Adam Driver character Kylo Ren unmasked looked helluva lot like a young Severus Snape. Was that just me?
No, I remember thinking the same thing.
This forum has more speculation on the similarity of the characters.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsspe...severus_snape/
Quote:
But since I stayed I watched the credits and Rachel Welch was in there. That went by too fast for me to see what she did. I have a favor to ask of other movie-goers. If anyone else is going or going again and and stays through the credits, please watch for Rachel Welch. Please satisfy my curiosity! Did I hallucinate? Is Rachel Welch really in the credits? If she is - can anyone find out if that is THE Rachel Welch? And, if so, what is her connection to Star Wars? Google turns up nothing ...
Rachel Welch not Raquel Welch

Rachel Welch (I) Miscellaneous Crew
2015 Star Wars: The Force Awakens (key first assistant accountant)
2013 Thor: The Dark World (first assistant accountant)
2012/I Prometheus (first assistant accountant)
2011 Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (first assistant accountant)
2010 Robin Hood (first assistant accountant)
2010 Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (assistant accountant - uncredited)
2008 Inkheart (assistant accountant)
2008 Wanted (assistant accountant)
2008 10,000 BC (assistant accountant)
2007 Charlie Wilson's War (assistant accountant: Morocco - as Rachel Helen Welch)
2006 The Holiday (assistant accountant - uncredited)
2006 Children of Men (accounting assistant)
2006 The Da Vinci Code (assistant accountant - uncredited)
2005 Kinky Boots (accounts assistant)
2005 Pride & Prejudice (accounting assistant)
2004 Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (accounts assistant)
2004 Beyond the Sea (account assistant)

Old 12-27-2015, 01:27 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,640,168 times
I've already seen The Force Awakens 7 times, going back for #8 tomorrow. As a die-hard Star Wars fan, I love it! I'm so glad that JJ delivered. It has so many great moments and such a fun ride, with maybe the best ending scene of any SW film. I cannot wait for Episode VIII.

Aside from being really fun to watch repeatedly, following the box office run on a few other forums daily has been incredible. It's definitely the most fun I've ever had following a film at the box office and now TFA is just 10-14 days from passing Avatar as the highest grossing movie in U.S. box office history. Should sail well past that as well in a total that won't be challenged any time soon, I think.

PS: Some of the comments on this thread are truly hilarious and ridiculous. Criticizing a universally acclaimed film that pleased fans and general moviegoers just proves you can find someone who doesn't like anything, no matter how great it is. Star Wars and Star Trek mindless, but Heroes is brilliant entertainment?! HAHAHA god I'm glad I wasn't eating at the time, I would have choked from laughter. I hope you're kidding. Heroes is total garbage after the first season, some of the worst TV in history, whereas Star Wars is an incredibly mythological, deep series of films that has inspired 40 years of fandom. It's not because of the effects -- it's because of great storytelling and universal themes. There's a lot to examine, if you have the intellect and the desire.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I wish Ahsoka wasn't so annoying in the Clone Wars otherwise I might enjoy it.
She grows up. If nothing else, check the last season and a half.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:28 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,089,772 times
Default Is Jar Jar a Sith!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yy3q9f84EA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies