Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 08:30 AM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times

Advertisements

Jar Jar gets rehabilitated to some degree (at least his people do) in Clone Wars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 09:27 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,622,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Star Wars is an incredibly mythological, deep series of films that has inspired 40 years of fandom. It's not because of the effects -- it's because of great storytelling and universal themes. There's a lot to examine, if you have the intellect and the desire.
I like the old movies, too (well, I don't watch Jedi, anymore, because it's not that great), but there's nothing intellectual about Star Wars. It's space opera. It emphasizes drama and conflict over plausibility and science fact (no such thing as time dilation in there). Beat the bad guy, save the people, get the girl.

TFA really didn't have to ape Star Wars '77 so closely, though. Or weigh it down with one convenience after another. The movie would have made a gazillion dollars were it worse than The Phantom Menace. I'm glad Kasdan and Abrams did not write Episode VIII. I hope Rian Johnson can deliver the real movie I've been waiting for.

I can't say I disagree with anything this guy says. http://www.vox.com/2015/12/26/106648...ens-derivative

Old 12-27-2015, 10:39 AM

495 posts, read 684,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Um, Phantom Menace was hated for being too different from A New Hope in plot and look. As much as I like it, I admit that is a bad Star Wars film. Force Awakens however had the nods and at times plot points but it was still original in some ways and for that I loved it. I'm not going to say you are wrong but let's remember that Phantom Menace was different and sucked. I'm starting to wonder if people just like to complain about the movies and nitpick everything, even the special edition changes.
Nope I disagree totally. The PM was not hated for having a different story. It was hated because of jar jar and jake loyed. I loved the fact that they where going to tell the story of the jedi order, the clone wars and anakins fall(different plot than the OT) but lucas botched a great story with a stupid kid, jar jar and a crappy love story. Have anakin as a teen in phantom menace,get rid of jar jar, redo the love story and have episode II be all about the clone wars and you got a really good trilogy. Not too hard to fix.And as many have said already there are tons of great storys in the Star Wars universe that dont mirror A New Hope.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:51 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,565,307 times
I finally got to see the movie and enjoyed it overall. Great entertainment. That said, after sleeping on it and thinking about it, the movie had so many big holes you could drive a truck thru them. As mentioned before, how could the New Order develop and built suck a massive planet like structure with such an incredible weapon but the resistance did nothing but keep its aging X-wing fighters. Obviously the movie was set many decades after Return of the Jedi. Speaking of the structure, why did it look like the death star from afar but up close it have mountain ranges and forests and an atmosphere? Why would the New Order care about those things? The death star didn't.

The new bad guy, forgot his name, was supposed to be bad but all he did was throw temper tantrums and allow mistakes to be made with no repercussions. His master should have gotten rid of him. Darth Vader never allowed mistakes to go unpunished. Mistakes usually meant death. And just who is the New Orders leader? Other than a giant hologram, why didn't they tell us a bit of backstory on how he came into power? I guess we will get that answer next year.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:36 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,384,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I like the old movies, too (well, I don't watch Jedi, anymore, because it's not that great), but there's nothing intellectual about Star Wars. It's space opera. It emphasizes drama and conflict over plausibility and science fact (no such thing as time dilation in there). Beat the bad guy, save the people, get the girl.

TFA really didn't have to ape Star Wars '77 so closely, though. Or weigh it down with one convenience after another. The movie would have made a gazillion dollars were it worse than The Phantom Menace. I'm glad Kasdan and Abrams did not write Episode VIII. I hope Rian Johnson can deliver the real movie I've been waiting for.

I can't say I disagree with anything this guy says. Critics are going too easy on Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Vox
Thanks for posting that analysis from Vox, with which I agree. Overall I liked The Force Awakens, but I don't think it lived up to its hype.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:43 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,384,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I finally got to see the movie and enjoyed it overall. Great entertainment. That said, after sleeping on it and thinking about it, the movie had so many big holes you could drive a truck thru them. As mentioned before, how could the New Order develop and built suck a massive planet like structure with such an incredible weapon but the resistance did nothing but keep its aging X-wing fighters. Obviously the movie was set many decades after Return of the Jedi. Speaking of the structure, why did it look like the death star from afar but up close it have mountain ranges and forests and an atmosphere? Why would the New Order care about those things? The death star didn't.

The new bad guy, forgot his name, was supposed to be bad but all he did was throw temper tantrums and allow mistakes to be made with no repercussions. His master should have gotten rid of him. Darth Vader never allowed mistakes to go unpunished. Mistakes usually meant death. And just who is the New Orders leader? Other than a giant hologram, why didn't they tell us a bit of backstory on how he came into power? I guess we will get that answer next year.
The New Order built the large laser into an already existing planet so that's why it had forests, mountains, and an atmosphere.

I think the writers purposely made Kylo Ren a novice, Darth Vader wannabe. I think the point was that Kylo had not totally turned to the dark side and that he was not a well-established bad guy yet. Had he been experienced, he should have been able to control his anger. I assume Kylo is all his master has so that's why he still has a job.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:43 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Let me just say the same thing I say to Jar Jar is a Jedi that I did while in line on Friday December 18th to guy in a Kylo Ren costume, Jar Jar is far too weak minded to be Force sensitive to be Jedi or Sith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Jar Jar gets rehabilitated to some degree (at least his people do) in Clone Wars.
The Gungans were fine. They were much better than the Ewoks IMO because the Ewoks were far too over-powering despite their size to an Imperial Army trained to kill with the latest technology. This is something I really liked with this new movie, the Stormtroopers were entirely credible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader44 View Post
Nope I disagree totally. The PM was not hated for having a different story. It was hated because of jar jar and jake loyed. I loved the fact that they where going to tell the story of the jedi order, the clone wars and anakins fall(different plot than the OT) but lucas botched a great story with a stupid kid, jar jar and a crappy love story. Have anakin as a teen in phantom menace,get rid of jar jar, redo the love story and have episode II be all about the clone wars and you got a really good trilogy. Not too hard to fix.And as many have said already there are tons of great storys in the Star Wars universe that dont mirror A New Hope.
Let me say this, besides Jar Jar, I actually did like The Phantom Menace. The general public of Star Wars fans don't like that or even the other movies despite what you said. They think it was too clean, too slow, too stupid with Jar Jar, Anakin is emo, etc. Anakin as a kid didn't really annoy me as he grew up by the time Attack of the Clones came out. Let me tell you, giving any kid the role Jake Lloyd was given is a bit of a hard thing to do because they have to do the lines right and not come off as a brat. I don't think he was. BUT writing wise, Anakin was a bit of a Marty Sue in the movie (a bit of a criticism I have with Poe Damarin.)

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
Thanks for posting that analysis from Vox, with which I agree. Overall I liked The Force Awakens, but I don't think it lived up to its hype.
The problem with the hype was it very easy to anticipoint the fans with big expectations and come short of them. Several movie personalities on YouTube had this but eventually they did come around in a way and up-rated the movie. As I said previously, it is a 5 out of 5 movie to me BUT it is still below Inside Out and The Martian and I am still yet to see Joy, Concussion, The Revenant and The Hateful Eight so in the next few weeks, it can easily drop down a few spots still.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:58 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,565,307 times
Quote:
The New Order built the large laser into an already existing planet so that's why it had forests, mountains, and an atmosphere.

I think the writers purposely made Kylo Ren a novice, Darth Vader wannabe. I think the point was that Kylo had not totally turned to the dark side and that he was not a well-established bad guy yet. Had he been experienced, he should have been able to control his anger. I assume Kylo is all his master has so that's why he still has a job.
Ok that explains it all. Thanks.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:15 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
I feel that was an interesting dynamic added to the "oh they copied the Death Star again" complaint. Just as the star killer nature of the new base had rose the bar rather than lowered it like some thought.

Quote:
I think that also gives a new dynamic to the Sith. We never really saw the ragaholic Sith apprentice. It's always had been ones who were wise or trained to control. Kylo Ren cannot whether it is conflicits with is he on the lighter side or the darker side OR how he reacts to things. Sure we saw force chokes but we never saw someone who is Sith throw a temper tantrum with their light saber or pull some into a physical chokehold.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:56 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post

When my girlfriend totally burns the steak do I tell her she did an awesome job? Of course not if I want a better steak next time. I throw it in the dogs bowl and tell her she ruined it. Next time I'll have a perfect steak.
Do that to me and next time you will be cooking your own steak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies