Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2015, 06:03 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times

Advertisements

They could have done a much better story. The Star Wars universe is much bigger than just the movies with planet destroying super weapons. The first Death Star was awesom.... Now they're just yet another Death Star.

TFA wasn't a reboot, it was a rehash of things already done. In the infinit Star Wars universe they stick with a narrow window of stuff. Knights of the Old Republic (older video game) had an amazing story. A Star Forge with the Rebels (they're not rebels, they're the new republic. Another shameless grab at the past. If after 30 years of military dominance you're still operating in ruins you're doing something wrong) getting demolished at the end of the movie would have been a much more proper twist with a new storyline. The First Order are supposed to be a breakout group, how come they wield so much power from the start? The New Republic has been on a tear crushing ex-empire forces, sure doesn't seem that way.

Ultimately I think it was a lack of leadership. For this I'd point at J.J. Abrams. A director has a couple hits and then they're omnipotent. While the first Star Trek was awesome, the last one sucked. TFA doesn't show much effort. It was put on cruise control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 09:52 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,621,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You didn't the article you linked did and those were the claims I was refuting.
Just a quick FYI: what you're doing is disagreeing, not refuting.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
So what's wrong with back to basics. It made a sub-par Star Wars when they strayed from the formula (The Phantom Menace.)
That's the problem: you're defending a U-turn back to "the formula" because you think anything else may likely suck. (The rest of us don't feel that way, and would like to see something different.) That's the bottom line for your blanket defense of the new movie, which rehashed way too much. It's same entrée, served with different sauces and garnishes.

TPM is sub-par for other reasons, like bad writing, wooden acting, Jar Jar, and showing us something we should have never been shown: Darth Vader as a li'l squirt.

One concept Luca$ is woefully unfamiliar with is ambiguity. Sometimes you're better off not knowing.

Quote:
A New Hope was nuanced, not so complex. The Phantom Menace was complex, especially for a first episode. It wasn't exactly a straight forward movie, especially being over a trade dispute. Politics existed in A New Hope but not out in the open.
Sorry, but implying TPM is a more complex film doesn't hold water because Luca$ openly admits he wrote the prequels with kids in mind, not adults. It's no more complex than any other entry in either trilogy, or the new film. Maybe it could have used some complexity. Then it wouldn't have been so dull, minus the saber clash.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:03 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Just a quick FYI: what you're doing is disagreeing, not refuting.
Some of the claims were easily caught the first time around if you paid attention so they are refuted rather than disagreement. It wasn't some The Matrix or Marvel detail that you need to research 20 times to find the reference.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:49 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
They could have done a much better story. The Star Wars universe is much bigger than just the movies with planet destroying super weapons. The first Death Star was awesom.... Now they're just yet another Death Star.

TFA wasn't a reboot, it was a rehash of things already done. In the infinit Star Wars universe they stick with a narrow window of stuff. Knights of the Old Republic (older video game) had an amazing story. A Star Forge with the Rebels (they're not rebels, they're the new republic. Another shameless grab at the past. If after 30 years of military dominance you're still operating in ruins you're doing something wrong) getting demolished at the end of the movie would have been a much more proper twist with a new storyline. The First Order are supposed to be a breakout group, how come they wield so much power from the start? The New Republic has been on a tear crushing ex-empire forces, sure doesn't seem that way.

Ultimately I think it was a lack of leadership. For this I'd point at J.J. Abrams. A director has a couple hits and then they're omnipotent. While the first Star Trek was awesome, the last one sucked. TFA doesn't show much effort. It was put on cruise control.
He's not coming back to do Eps 8 which is telling. Anyone who's a real artist won't pull a con-job for long or get his name will get discredited by fans of his work. He almost turned down this movie as he must have resented the script. From someone who has created Heroes, it must be awkward to direct these mindless Scifi movies like Star Trek and Star Wars to ensure the movie is watchable by the critical mass. In Heroes he crafted each char to ensure none of them are illogically over-powering. I much rather they delay Rey's power showing than just made it obvious. Luke in Episode 4 is not even comparable, Obiwan handled Vadar instead of Luke.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:24 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
You know, a 10 year old, a chimpanzee or Jesus Christ himself could have written Star Wars and the result would have been the same... lots of people love it, even more hate it while EVEERYONE psychoanalyzes it to death and whoever distributes it mkes a crap-ton of money.

Old 12-24-2015, 05:01 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
He's not coming back to do Eps 8 which is telling. Anyone who's a real artist won't pull a con-job for long or get his name will get discredited by fans of his work. He almost turned down this movie as he must have resented the script. From someone who has created Heroes, it must be awkward to direct these mindless Scifi movies like Star Trek and Star Wars to ensure the movie is watchable by the critical mass. In Heroes he crafted each char to ensure none of them are illogically over-powering. I much rather they delay Rey's power showing than just made it obvious. Luke in Episode 4 is not even comparable, Obiwan handled Vadar instead of Luke.
Lucas didn't direct V and VI. He still had his hand in it by writing the movies. J.J. will keep his toes in by Executive Producing VIII and IX. He is just handing off to other directors like Lucas did with the originals. That worked incredibly in Empire and I hope happens again here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
You know, a 10 year old, a chimpanzee or Jesus Christ himself could have written Star Wars and the result would have been the same... lots of people love it, even more hate it while EVEERYONE psychoanalyzes it to death and whoever distributes it mkes a crap-ton of money.
Where is the hate on it? If anything I've heard people letdown but giving it 4.somethig out of 5.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:55 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Okay, topic tangent.

I just re-watched "Revenge of the Sith." At the end when we see Darth Vader and the emperor at the bridge of a star destroyer, do we not see a very brief cameo Moff Tarkin turn away from them and walk away to the left?

Old 12-24-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Okay, topic tangent.

I just re-watched "Revenge of the Sith." At the end when we see Darth Vader and the emperor at the bridge of a star destroyer, do we not see a very brief cameo Moff Tarkin turn away from them and walk away to the left?

Yes, we do.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:06 AM

12,390 posts, read 8,159,056 times
Quote:
Tell that to the critics and fans that have given it 95% and 92% on rotten tomatoes respectively. Is it prefect, No but my 5-stars for it isn't exactly off base... I don't think it will drop past 85% on fan rating when all is said and done. Mind you Man of Steel which also is similar film when it comes to criticism (though more vocal due to the destruction and the Superman kills controversy) is a 56% critic rating and a 74% fan rating on rt.
Rotten Tomatoes isn't that great a source for this type of dicscussion because it is a rating of Thumps Up or Down as Sisko and Ebert did. It is no measure of a solid C film by everyone versus an A film with dissenters because they tried something and some said no don't go.

Haven seen the original and none of the prequels but recently seeing Creed. I saw the homage just as Creed took the beats from Rocky and updating them with a younger set of characters and I think Creed did it much better than Star Wars The Force Awakens. Desert plant, ice plant, forest plant. All these years later with the Apocalypse Now version of a storm troopers attack made them seem more real and dangerous then the first films and their mechanical elephants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies