Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2016, 05:47 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Well they did destroy several entire planets in the process.
Exactly, higher stakes when it destroys an entire system. The previous Death Star would have taken much much longer to do so. This one you can aim and recharge rather than move and get into position for each planet. I don't know why people don't get this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 06:09 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,622,039 times
The function and design of the Starkiller, however outlandish, wasn't the problem, but rather how poorly it was defended and how easily it was disabled, versus the two Death Stars.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:19 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,191,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Well they did destroy several entire planets in the process.
Good point. For this one, then, they had a much better ROI than in Ep IV. They only destroyed Alderaan with that.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 01-02-2016 at 07:10 PM..

Old 01-03-2016, 10:25 AM

752 posts, read 567,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
"The function and design of the Starkiller, however outlandish, wasn't the problem, but rather how poorly it was defended and how easily it was disabled, versus the two Death Stars."
Also, we're actually made to care when Alderaan is destroyed. But an entire system? Meh ... on with the action!

Old 01-03-2016, 10:31 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Keep in mind that the ending of Ep. IV didn't make much sense either. The Death Star shows up and spends almost half an hour orbiting around the main planet so that they can get a clear shot at the moon. Why don't they just blow up the planet? Blow up the planet, and I promise you, the moon is gone as well.

To really enjoy STAR WARS, you can't treat it as science fiction. It's a fairy tale in space. Don't overthink it.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:55 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,678,476 times
I think Ren comes back from the experience, and destroys Snoke, and takes over, and sets out to find Rey and subdue her.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:32 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,248,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
The function and design of the Starkiller, however outlandish, wasn't the problem, but rather how poorly it was defended and how easily it was disabled, versus the two Death Stars.
I think it was more that the First Order were confident they could detect any incoming attack, hence Han having to enter at light-speed in order to remain unnoticed. I agree though that it seemed a little to easy for the resistance and the x-wing attack lacked tension - we hardly see any x-wings being destroyed, for example. I would have preferred the Star-Killer base to have been built-up over the next few episodes and taken out in the finale, but I guess we'll see where the story goes.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:55 AM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Keep in mind that the ending of Ep. IV didn't make much sense either. The Death Star shows up and spends almost half an hour orbiting around the main planet so that they can get a clear shot at the moon. Why don't they just blow up the planet? Blow up the planet, and I promise you, the moon is gone as well.
Yeah, my daughter noted that the first time she watched it. I sent her to bed.

Quote:
To really enjoy STAR WARS, you can't treat it as science fiction. It's a fairy tale in space. Don't overthink it.
Exactly. It was sold from the beginning as "romance" and "fantasy."

Old 01-03-2016, 12:14 PM

I detect two different categories of expectations from persons going to see this movie, and I would bet they fall along these lines:

1. People who liked the prequels for their lengthy exposition hate this movie for the lack of it.
2. People who hated the prequels for their lengthy exposition love this movie for the lack of it.

Episode 4 was thought to most likely be a one-off (although 20th Century Fox had made some money with the "Planet of the Apes" sequels). But Lucas intentionally designed it to emulate old-school serials: Start in the middle of the plot, move fast, explain little. He certainly had hopes for a sequel, but that wasn't guaranteed by any means. Yet, Lucas deliberately wrote Ep 4 as though it was part of a continuing serial.

That was true of Ep 6 as well: There was no guarantee of a sequel.

Eps 1 and 2 were written with the guarantee of sequels, as was Episode 7. The concept of action to exposition changes a lot when you are writing as though there will be a sequel. My expectation is that because this movie was written with the guarantee of a sequel, the exposition will come later.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael View Post
Also, we're actually made to care when Alderaan is destroyed. But an entire system? Meh ... on with the action!
I don't think anyone really cared much about Alderaan when Ep 4 was first shown--I certainly didn't. Alderaan meant nothing much until its significance was brought out in the prequels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies