Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 03:46 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times

Advertisements

Just saw it the other night-mesmerizing, terrifying. Brutal and honest depictions of how humanity and society interacts with the unknown and with each other as well. One of the best films I've seen in a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 11:24 AM

750 posts, read 2,276,865 times
As long as it doesn't have Will Smith punching out and Alien I'm all for seeing it. (referencing the ruining moment of Independence Day, IMO)

Old 08-16-2009, 11:31 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
It didn't end the way I wanted it to end and I expected it to be a tad bit more exciting.
I won't be buying it but I'll definitely rent it a time or two.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:29 PM

643 posts, read 2,054,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
It didn't end the way I wanted it to end and I expected it to be a tad bit more exciting.
I won't be buying it but I'll definitely rent it a time or two.

Wouldn't it be less expensive to just buy the DVD? How much is it rent a movie these days, anyways?

Anyways - it's not what people think it is. I was talking to my brother in law about it (he hasn't seen it yet) and he was convinced it was some sort of 'aliens land, then rise up and smite humans and there's rockets and fire and omg-death!' kind of movie. Which it isn't.

It was kind of neat, I think. I want to say it was 'refreshing' to see aliens do anything other than drool and maim. But it was a very grand movie, wasn't it? All political and social and wanting to send a message, but I felt that the message was delicate, not jammed down your throat.

Still, I can see how some people's attention was immediately lost in the beginning when they showed the interview footage and set up the story. Especially those looking for lots of explosions and people dying.

What happened to the scene of the alien being interrogated from the trailers?

Old 08-16-2009, 04:55 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
The story was good and the aliens were cool. It had some great metaphor on shantytowns and immigration.

But I really did not like all the gore - and that's saying a lot for someone who thinks Dawn of the Dead 2004 is just wonderful. Just too many people getting dismembered. Even when the worst bad guy "got his" you couldn't even cheer - you could only be grossed out and think how horrible it was for that to happen - to anyone!

That, and there were so many F words Scarface would have blushed!

Again I regret bringing my ten year old. Last time was the masturbation diatribe in Xformers one. For some reason I thought it was PG-13.

All in all, I don't think I'll bother to watch it again unless it's on tv for free years from now.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:08 PM

188 posts, read 423,880 times
This thing had some potential, guys. Unfortunatley - for me, at least - the last third turned into a run-of-the-mill "Okay, let's just make everything explode" shoot-em-up. But the first two-thirds is an interesting, non-contrived movie, and it's worth a view, at least on your television in a few months.

Also...

Directors: No one, and I mean no one, likes jarring, crazy realistic first-person if-you-were-there camera movements. Knock it off. Jesus.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:18 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
The story was good and the aliens were cool. It had some great metaphor on shantytowns and immigration.

But I really did not like all the gore - and that's saying a lot for someone who thinks Dawn of the Dead 2004 is just wonderful. Just too many people getting dismembered. Even when the worst bad guy "got his" you couldn't even cheer - you could only be grossed out and think how horrible it was for that to happen - to anyone!

That, and there were so many F words Scarface would have blushed!

Again I regret bringing my ten year old. Last time was the masturbation diatribe in Xformers one. For some reason I thought it was PG-13.

All in all, I don't think I'll bother to watch it again unless it's on tv for free years from now.
Agreed there was a lot of gore in the movie. Not sure why exactly.

All in all it was a really strange movie...

The plot itself made absolutely no sense - there are aliens obviously with extremely advanced technology and for some reason they are relegated to this slum. Why did they crash land, why were they starving?

Why do the aliens like cat food, is this a joke? Why are they trading a alien robot for 100 cans of cat food.

The humans response to the aliens - not really believable they were so inhumane I mean look at how people treat cats/dogs/whales etc. This would never happen.

What are Nigerian terrorists doing in the alien slum? How are they there?

Were all these elements put there to be satirical - I guess they probably were.

Overall the movie was excellent, the storyline was moving I would give it a 4/5 stars.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:26 PM

615 posts, read 856,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
What happened to the scene of the alien being interrogated from the trailers?
That's what I was wondering too! When I saw the trailer, it made me think the movie would be told from the perspective of one of the aliens. Why would they show footage that they don't intend on using in the movie. That really makes the trailer deceptive, which is what I was worried about.

I saw the movie tonight. I agree that it gives you a good look at humanity. However, I didn't really like the movie.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:49 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,958 times
I haven't seen it yet but alot of people who are seeing it are HAPPY that this film had very little to do with Americans in the story - and alot of those raving about it are Americans themselves... :P

Old 08-17-2009, 05:58 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
Saw it. It was pretty cool. Dont really have much more to say than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies