Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 07:25 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,475,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
I haven't seen it yet but alot of people who are seeing it are HAPPY that this film had very little to do with Americans in the story - and alot of those raving about it are Americans themselves... :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 08:12 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,699,902 times
I saw this movie yesterday. It was pretty interesting. the "racial" overtones were done very well, it had some very gory moments, but all in all, a very entertaining movie.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:06 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,627,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
The site "Rotten Tomatos" which is my go to movie critic,gave it a very high ratings, 96 I beleive. Very rare. I promised to take my 13 yr old son and his pals. Looking forward to it.
Some of you mentioned the gore, so I looked up the movie on the site "Kids in Mind" which disects the movies for parents and informs of violence/sex/profanity in detail so one can decide if its suitable for their own kids. It got the highest rating for the gore. I am a little doubtful of taking the kids now. Anyone who saw it find it unacceptable for 12-13 yr olds?

Old 08-17-2009, 10:17 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,691,367 times
Yeah I think its ok for 13 year olds. There is no sex or nudity and the violence is nothing worse than that you would see on prime time televison

Old 08-17-2009, 10:29 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,937,437 times
Quote:
Some of you mentioned the gore, so I looked up the movie on the site "Kids in Mind" which disects the movies for parents and informs of violence/sex/profanity in detail so one can decide if its suitable for their own kids. It got the highest rating for the gore. I am a little doubtful of taking the kids now. Anyone who saw it find it unacceptable for 12-13 yr olds?
That's hard to judge. If your kids have been exposed to gory, realistic violence before, it won't be anything new to them. If they're mature and understand that everything they see is fake, then they should be fine. But this film is gritty and VERY real feeling. A friend of mine, who's 21, turned to me about 10 minutes in and said, "I feel like all this is actually happening. Like I'm watching the news or something." It's an intense film, but thinking back on how I was at 12, I think I would've been okay. If you do take your kids, be sure to discuss the film afterwards. That always helped me to put things in perspective if the movie was a little too adult for me. Having seen it, and now knowing its potential to be one of the most highly regarded sci-fi films of our generation, if I thought my kids could handle it, there's no way we'd miss it.

I feel like I saw history in the making last night. The freshest and most original sci-fi film I've seen since...The Matrix, I guess.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:05 AM

643 posts, read 2,055,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Agreed there was a lot of gore in the movie. Not sure why exactly.

All in all it was a really strange movie...

The plot itself made absolutely no sense - there are aliens obviously with extremely advanced technology and for some reason they are relegated to this slum. Why did they crash land, why were they starving?

Why do the aliens like cat food, is this a joke? Why are they trading a alien robot for 100 cans of cat food.

The humans response to the aliens - not really believable they were so inhumane I mean look at how people treat cats/dogs/whales etc. This would never happen.

What are Nigerian terrorists doing in the alien slum? How are they there?

Were all these elements put there to be satirical - I guess they probably were.

Overall the movie was excellent, the storyline was moving I would give it a 4/5 stars.

You do realize that most of these questions were answered in the movie, right? If not answered directly, then indirectly by the circumstance.

Why did they crash land, why were they starving?
They didn't crash land, they hovered. And they were locked in a section of their ship - the aliens that ran the show are said to have died. We presume it was from a sickness, but no one really knows. The aliens that are left are 'workers' (think ants or bees) and aren't organized enough to take initiative and fend for themselves. Also, a piece of their ship fell off - rendering it unusable. How long do you think a group of a million+ can survive on a boat, for example, before they run out of food?

Why do the aliens like cat food, is this a joke? Why are they trading a alien robot for 100 cans of cat food. They just like it - it's like crack. They're aliens, what do you expect? I bet they'd like dog food, too. They explained this in the movie. Later, they mention how the aliens have no concept of land ownership (think native americans selling Manhattan for a handful of beads, whatever). Why do crackheads sell their cars, houses or whatever else for drugs? Think of it in reverse - if you traveled to another planet that had never seen a Zippo lighter and they're offering you something you desperately love/craze in return for the lighter, you'd hand it over. No questions asked. Because it's simple and common to you, but not to them.

The humans response to the aliens - not really believable they were so inhumane I mean look at how people treat cats/dogs/whales etc. This would never happen.
Uh, duh... Look at how people treat cats/dogs/whales, ect. It's the same thing. Some people treat them nicely, some don't. Some people beat dogs, eat cats, vivisect monkies, shoot whales with harpoons, ect. These men we seeing dealing with them are used to them, they deal with them everyday and see them as more of a hassle and a problem than as people. Look at the way they did or didn't use their 'names'. This point here is one of the main 'issues' in the film. How WOULD we treat aliens, especially crude, mostly helpless and 'stupid' ones. Also, there were some scenes that showed people with signs protesting their abuse ('We <3 Prauns' or whatever). And the men ARE concerned with how people will view violence against them (this is talked about when they're issuing evictions), so there is the tension to be humane in the public eye, but at the same time there's a complete disrespect.

What are Nigerian terrorists doing in the alien slum? How are they there? Making money! Here are people they can push around and take advantage of -- and all for what? A few cans of cat food and some cow heads. Think of all the cool things they got out of it: weapons, robot suits, sex (apparently?), money, ect. Why WOUDLN'T they be there?

More importantly, I was asking WHY the human turned into a praun and what about that fluid made that happen. That to me (that the same fluid that mutated him can also power / allow interface with their space ship) seemed the biggest snag.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:36 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,458,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillBoBill View Post
More importantly, I was asking WHY the human turned into a praun and what about that fluid made that happen. That to me (that the same fluid that mutated him can also power / allow interface with their space ship) seemed the biggest snag.
Yeah that bothered me too. The movie doesn't really go into detail about what is different about the fluid that causes Wilkus to transform. The only logical reason I can think of is that the spaceship, like the other alien technology, only functions when praun DNA is present. Maybe the fuel was genetically engineered and that what makes it different from genuine praun DNA.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Yeah that bothered me too. The movie doesn't really go into detail about what is different about the fluid that causes Wilkus to transform. The only logical reason I can think of is that the spaceship, like the other alien technology, only functions when praun DNA is present. Maybe the fuel was genetically engineered and that what makes it different from genuine praun DNA.
Exactly. I think District 10 will elaborate on this.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:56 PM

809 posts, read 3,572,675 times
Quote:
It was gory and the language was bad. F bombs left and right.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
It was gory and the language was bad. F bombs left and right.
Left and right? I must've missed that. I can only recall maybe 4 times I heard it. One of them being when Christopher said it in his alien language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies