Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2019, 09:18 AM

4,874 posts, read 4,817,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I was surprised to see that Wild One charted in early 1960....I would have guessed '62 or '63. But what's amazing is that Bobby Rydell was 17 when it was released.
One thing you can say about the young Philadelphia pop stars of the day, like Rydell, Frankie Avalon or Fabian, they all had great hair. I was envious with my brush cut.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:26 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,735,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I do not think anyone caught the clue. As you know I do not listen to any music after the seventies unless it's a remake or the original artist still performing.

So when I said going way back it meant that the song had to be early in the period 1955 to 1979 so a rough estimate might be the first 25% of that time period.
1955 to 1960 (the release of the song) is 6 years / 25 (55 to 79) = 24%.

So on this particular song "going way back" eliminated 76% of the time period 55-79.
Will I ever use that clue again. The answer is
I could hear enough in the clip to know it was the stuff of the early teen idol years, narrowing the time frame considerably. It was just a question of whether it was Frankie Avalon, Paul Anka, Bobby Darin, Bobby Rydell, or .......? Yesterday was a busy and stressful day for me and I was distracted/preoccupied with my high blood pressure. I was running on empty by the time the clip hit.

This morning I actually felt like I might live another full day and, after a couple cups of coffee, it didn't take me long to zero in on Wild One.

Last edited by CrownVic95; 03-23-2019 at 09:43 AM..

Old 03-23-2019, 10:22 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,136,099 times
Congratulations on a good nights rest, Crown, it must have opened a sleeper cell for you. Wild One is a bit cheezy, but not real memorable to me. I've heard it a few times over the years, but it wasn't cheezy enough for me to remember, like the Tallahassee Lassie song, which sticks with me a little better because she had a Hi-Fi Chassis.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Congratulations on a good nights rest, Crown, it must have opened a sleeper cell for you. Wild One is a bit cheezy, but not real memorable to me. I've heard it a few times over the years, but it wasn't cheezy enough for me to remember, like the Tallahassee Lassie song, which sticks with me a little better because she had a Hi-Fi Chassis.
Thanks. I saw the cheezball reference in your rep comment and I must confess I have no idea what a cheezball song is.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:49 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,136,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Thanks. I saw the cheezball reference in your rep comment and I must confess I have no idea what a cheezball song is.
Probably the best substitute word for Cheezy would be Corny. Silly or goofball also comes to mind, when I hear cheese-ball being used as a descriptive term, inferior might be pretty close too.

Just a few more 70's & 80's terms which have now fallen out of favor and not used much anymore.....

Twink, this is a descriptive word for someone who stands out in a crowd in some unfavorable way. Goofy looking clothes, maybe a couple smaller kids in a crowd of bigger kids....Hey what are those 2 twinks doing here? Hey, those 2 guys with pink shirts on, they look like a couple of twinks! I think the word came from Twinkie The Kid, who was kind of weak, like the Pillsbury Dough Boy.

Spaz, this word has double meaning, Spaz became connected with Nerd when those Meatball/Revenge of the Nerds movies came out, from a character nicknamed Spaz who was a nerd. It can also mean to freak out or get mad at somebody and throw a fit. You're not going to "spaz out" if I borrow your car, are you?

Sped, this was the first step away from the term retard, to describe the kids in Special Education classes. Taken from the term Special Ed == SPED. I never hear this term used anymore, but it was once very common before Autistic came around. Watch out for that sped over there, working with the table saw. Why isn't that girl over at the lunch table. in any of our classes? She's a sped. Oh, OK, I didn't know.

Dill-Hole or Dill-Weed - a stupid or lame person.

Solid, something that is good, favorable, a stand up guy, a great situation, awesome. Solid was much more a guy term, and more 70's than 80's. Some girl terms.. Gnarly was a Valley Girl term used only by females in the 80's, which dudes should never use, which basically means the same thing as Solid. 80's girls also used Tubular a lot, to mean something cool, they used the word Grody (to the max) a lot for something disgusting which might gag them with a spoon.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:37 PM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 4 days ago)

52,709 posts, read 48,010,235 times
Congratulations, CrownVic!

Old 03-24-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Probably the best substitute word for Cheezy would be Corny. Silly or goofball also comes to mind, when I hear cheese-ball being used as a descriptive term, inferior might be pretty close too.

Just a few more 70's & 80's terms which have now fallen out of favor and not used much anymore.....

Twink, this is a descriptive word for someone who stands out in a crowd in some unfavorable way. Goofy looking clothes, maybe a couple smaller kids in a crowd of bigger kids....Hey what are those 2 twinks doing here? Hey, those 2 guys with pink shirts on, they look like a couple of twinks! I think the word came from Twinkie The Kid, who was kind of weak, like the Pillsbury Dough Boy.

Spaz, this word has double meaning, Spaz became connected with Nerd when those Meatball/Revenge of the Nerds movies came out, from a character nicknamed Spaz who was a nerd. It can also mean to freak out or get mad at somebody and throw a fit. You're not going to "spaz out" if I borrow your car, are you?

Sped, this was the first step away from the term retard, to describe the kids in Special Education classes. Taken from the term Special Ed == SPED. I never hear this term used anymore, but it was once very common before Autistic came around. Watch out for that sped over there, working with the table saw. Why isn't that girl over at the lunch table. in any of our classes? She's a sped. Oh, OK, I didn't know.

Dill-Hole or Dill-Weed - a stupid or lame person.

Solid, something that is good, favorable, a stand up guy, a great situation, awesome. Solid was much more a guy term, and more 70's than 80's. Some girl terms.. Gnarly was a Valley Girl term used only by females in the 80's, which dudes should never use, which basically means the same thing as Solid. 80's girls also used Tubular a lot, to mean something cool, they used the word Grody (to the max) a lot for something disgusting which might gag them with a spoon.
Yeah, yeah, yeah....ok, we get it....you don't like Wild One very much. And why would you?

Just as, in the old west, it is said that two men often faced each other in the street and declared that this town ain't big enough for both of us, no mind is big enough to hold dear both Wild One and 157 Riverside Avenue. I've opted to forgo spicing up my description of the latter through the use of the the terms provided in the vocabulary lesson above.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Congratulations, CrownVic!
Thanks, case.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:28 PM

14,496 posts, read 20,693,049 times
Do you remember this one?

https://vimeo.com/326619683

I'll quote Beverly Bremers:
"Don't Say You Don't Remember"

Old 03-26-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Do you remember this one?

[vimeo]326619683[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/326619683

I'll quote Beverly Bremers:
"Don't Say You Don't Remember"
Wouldn't it be nice to hear a Beach Boys tune?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZBKFoeDKJo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music