Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 07:27 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times

Advertisements

Rap was good back in 1992, but the stuff since then has been mostly derivitive junk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 07:38 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
hate? mighty strong word there. I dislike rap and hip hop, I dislike it because generally it's racist.
How is Hip-Hop racist?

I never heard one racist song in my life, there's rappers of all different races.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:46 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Rap is the top genre I listen to, but I also like Alternative Rock, Pop, Soul, and RnB. I can say the same for Heavy Metal. That has got to be the most garbage genre ever. All they do is just roar at the microphone like some lions.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:32 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
... For awhile I stopped watching the Sopranos and I hated the other show about westerns - forgot the name that aired on Sunday nights....

Let's stay on topic. If you dislike RAP music, please state your reason why. There is no right or wrong here, we are all entitled and have our own taste in music.
The western you're probably thinking of was Deadwood. I know Deadwood, SD and its history fairly well and was looking forward to the series. I was really disappointed with all the cursing. People didn't talk that way then! The producers/writers said they used it to stress the crudeness of early cowboys/miners in the "Days of '76", but to anyone who knows ANYTHING about western history, it was waaaaay out of line and ruined the show. I'm still angry about that! It was so stupid!

The first rap music I ever heard on the radio I thought was kinda cool... different. But it was a stretch to call it music -- more like a different way to read poetry. The second "rap song" I heard was too much. One was enough. (That was probably 20-25 years ago?)

I don't mind some rap if I don't have to listen to it for more than a couple minutes. Beyond that it just gets on my nerves. Some of it gets on my nerves the first 10 seconds. I feel the same about heavy metal. *shrugs* And fingernails on the blackboard. I just don't like it. Do I really need a reason?

Old 09-15-2009, 10:40 PM

4 posts, read 4,511 times
I agree its not music

Old 09-15-2009, 10:45 PM

4 posts, read 4,511 times
Relax people they'll soon all shoot each other and we won't have to listen to them any more

Old 09-15-2009, 11:15 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDF View Post
Relax people they'll soon all shoot each other and we won't have to listen to them any more
All shoot each other???

Yeah and I guess all those rockers that are depressed and on drugs who's lyrics are just yelling will just kill themselves.

People are so ignorant.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:03 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,394 times
I like good, intelligent, skillful rap. I have nothing against the musical style itself.

I can't stand gangsta rap though, and the whole "thug" image that has spread across the US because of it. I think gangsta rap has brainwashed thousands and thousands of young people into trying to be thugs.

I remember back in the early 90s when Snoop came out and gangsta rap exploded. Gangs instantly started popping up all over. And the youth all over the whole state of California suddenly grasped onto this gangsta rap culture and it got really dangerous, really fast.

And now in California. Poor kids who are growing up turn to gangsta rap for an identity and a way to find themselves. And it leads them down a dark path.

I think gangsta rap music has directly contributed to a lot of the recent crime and violence in the US. Lots of teenagers seriously get brainwashed by it, and it turns them into criminal goons.

So, gangsta rap has been nothing but evil in this world if you ask me. And the vast majority of rap falls into this category.

There are very few rappers who stay positive and are good role models. But I really like the ones who do.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:30 AM

145 posts, read 301,672 times
I favor rap over any kind of music. I am more for the beat and rythem style than the lyrics.
I can not agree with people saing rap is why kids grow up and try to be gangsters thats crazy,If kids can be brainwashed that easly lucky for there parents that death metal was not there choice of music.I can not stand county music but each there own .I don't blame that sort of music when my truck goes down or my dog dies or me and my husband do not agree.It is musical choice nothing more to it.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:42 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,134 times
Like Charles22 mentioned above....Rap/ Hip-hop was quite good from about 1988 to about 1996. Then Puff Daddy came into existance and it all went downhill and became overly commercial. Now all the rappers and hip-hop artists over use that voice correction crap which makes them sound like robots. Very very annoying. Last good hiphop song I can remember was "99 Problems" by Jay-Z...and that was what, 6 years ago???

Last edited by Interpol76; 09-16-2009 at 01:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music