Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 07:31 PM

19 posts, read 73,308 times

Advertisements

We retired to Horry County about 7 years ago and I love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 03:35 PM

46 posts, read 144,126 times
Those who have followed my posts know that I went from a reluctant MB prospective resident to a very happy and fortunate condo owner after doing extensive research and making numerous inquiries about the crime statistics in Myrtle Beach. It saddens me to think that so many people who could be enjoying this lovely place have been steered away because of an unwarranted "fear factor" regarding crime stats. I have found these statistics to be grossly twisted out of shape because of numerous variables affecting the transient nature of this resort population.

There are many "idiots" who come to resort areas like MB throughout the year. Whenever they do something stupid while they are drunk or high on drugs not only do they wind up regretting it for the rest of their lives because of the top notch law enforcement teams in MB, but unfortunately their antics also cause a gross miskewing of the crime stats for the rest of our city.

South Carolina has a very honorable reputation for reporting all crime incidents thoroughly, accurately, and honestly. Law enforcement here does not try to cover up or hide the facts to make its city look like "Rose Blossom Valley."

Of course there is no city, town, or state anywhere in the US where I would take safety for granted. It is always prudent in this day and age to exercise caution and be aware of your surroundings. Keep your car and home doors and windows locked, and never leave valuables unattended or exposed. This may sound patronizing, but it amazes me how many people ask for trouble. I have neighbors in my Delaware community, for example, who leave their garage doors open 24 and 7 even when they are away from their houses. Then, when one of my neighbors had his lawnmower stolen, he was beside himself ---HELLO???

Old 01-23-2010, 04:42 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,347,236 times
Great post. When you have so many tourists and so little residents, crime stats will always be tainted. Glad you're enjoying MB and glad to hear you think so highly of MB law enforcement.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,941 times
i read your post about crime and gangs in myrtle beach. if its not to much trouble i am very interested in the gangs that are there. a really good friend of mine was recently raped in what police say is a gang related incident, but have been unwilling to cooperate with me and my private investigator in finding the ones responsible. any information you can give me on the area and the local gangs would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:29 AM

59 posts, read 201,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgavrich View Post
Myrtle Beach does not hide its charms or its flaws. There is probably no American city which is easier to research (except for crime statistics). One hour of internet research would show clearly that cultural activities are limited and that the area depends largely on tourism. One two-day visit would confirm it all. If you truly believe that a family cannot be raised in a "resort area," what possessed you to move to Myrtle Beach?
Generations of families who have run businesses in the area would also disagree with your contention that a resort area is not a place to raise a family. It can be, if the family takes advantage of the positives a resort area offers. By the way, I prefer city living but realize it is possible for some to live happily in a resort area.
You hit the nail on the head "generations" of families. Those are the ones who make it here with a good standard of living, and the only ones. You must have a tie in to an existing business or opportunity to make it here. Of course, alot depends on your standard of living.

I live in the Garden City area which is below MB, but not that far. I know people in golf communities in MB who are relocated and retired and live in large beautiful 450k homes.

I moved here out of necessity-to help family, while I get back on my feet as well after a job loss and selling my home up North.

You can raise family here, but it all depends on what you want job wise and if you can afford it...jobs and housing are 2 big factors..the cultural stuff is not close by or convenient...........Piano or violin lessons, soccer or softball camps, whatever...the city has we have here, but distant and piece meal.
It is a tourist area and that is the main thrust and those who make their living here have been established. The new small businesses are not doing well - just like other areas of poor economic growth.
I should say it's not the optimal place to raise a family if you are not self employed and have the $$ to choose a lifestyle.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:27 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Everyone spoke in great terms about the "crime factor" in Myrtle Beach.

Its no more then looking around at the cities near you........Crime has grown everywhere.

Its in the mountains, in the deserts and at the ocean towns. We all have to be more aware, and stay safe.

But, I feel no more need in Myrtle Beach and its areas to protect myself......then in many other states
I've traveled in.

Its fine, its friendly.....comforting........and as they say " Smiling Faces, Beautiful Places"

Old 06-29-2010, 05:29 AM

2 posts, read 12,496 times
Thought about moving to the North Myrtle Beach area in 1 year, after reading all of that, no way! Have lived in Charleston, and been to Pawleys Island area is nice, and also St Mary's Georgia, is beautiful, and work in Jacksonville, probably what we'll do in one year.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:36 AM

540 posts, read 1,679,185 times
Pradda, there's crime everywhere. Sadly, the police and other officials get involved as well here, and to ME at least, I find that alarming. I had this dreamy image of the south before I moved here, but woke up rather quickly once I settled in.

While it may be true that the travelers skew the over all stats, I think we can all admit to ourselves that on the daily news here, in every single newspaper, local tv station, etc...it is the LOCALS we see committing the horrendous crimes. And in large, alarmind numbers. Poverty has had a huge impact on this. Not everyone has seen the benefits of the tourism industry, some...many...are just scraping by.

I found it slightly disheartening when my better half said he didn't find the crime all that bad here. He said he was used to it. He's from Philadelphia. Me? I'm tired of reading about all of the rampant stupidity, robberies, murders, etc. But I guess I did it to myself. I had this beautiful picture of what it would be like to live here, due to 20 years of vacationing here.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,839 times
I would like to know from a local the area by Camelot.....is it a nice place? Or does it have a lot of crime in the area of 38th and 21st?

Old 01-07-2011, 11:52 AM

540 posts, read 1,679,185 times
You would probably be best off contacting the police in that area. They would have the exact statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area