Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 11:41 AM

56 posts, read 176,290 times

Advertisements

I'm still looking for a house in the Nashville area. My realtor pointed me to a house in Madison, but I don't know much about the area. I haven't seen much discussion about Madison on the forum. Anyone on the forum live there? How do you like it regarding safety, schools, taxes, commute times, conveniences, etc? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 01:18 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepster View Post
I'm still looking for a house in the Nashville area. My realtor pointed me to a house in Madison, but I don't know much about the area. I haven't seen much discussion about Madison on the forum. Anyone on the forum live there? How do you like it regarding safety, schools, taxes, commute times, conveniences, etc? Thanks!
I've never lived there, but my dad grew up in Madison, and I still get my hair cut there...so I travel through from time to time.

Madison is long past its glory days...and a lot of the areas have become rundown. Crime is definitely an issue in parts...but I'm not sure to what extent. There is sort of a weird mix between old and new there. There seems to be a good number of old folks (mostly white) that grew up there, as well as a younger mix of all races (and a growing Hispanic population).

From what I have seen, the nicer area of Madison seems to be west of Gallatin Rd. The east side looks a bit worse for wear. Not sure about the Neely's Bend area, though...I don't go there often.

Property taxes will be the same as Metro Nashville -- but I think Madison is in the general service district ($3.56 per $100 on 25% of the appraised value).

Sales tax is pretty high, ranging from 9.25-9.75%, but there is no state income tax.

Commute time to downtown is pretty quick via Ellington Pkwy...probably 15-20 minutes most mornings, unless there is a wreck or something.

Conveniences...Madison is pretty well developed as a commercial area from just north of Briley Pkwy all the way to Rivergate Mall. Rivergate will likely be where most of your shopping is done...as most needs can be found there.

It's not much, but I hope that helps.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:22 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
I guess my question would be: what part of Madison? In general, Madison is fine. It is conveniently close to I-65, close to Rivergate Mall for every conceivable shopping need you will have, and only about 15-20 minutes to downtown.

It is in Davidson County which means that it requires some research into the schools that you'll be zoned for. Unlike Sumner or Williamson where you can pretty much rest assured that you're zoned for a good school, Madison can be hit and miss I believe. But honestly, I cannot speak to the quality of schools there. I went to Chadwell Elementary waaaay back in the day and my parents and I felt like I got a good education.

Safety...Madison is pretty safe, although there are pockets of petty crime here and there. This is where the "what part of Madison" question comes into play. It is my impression (pure opinion, nothing more) that the better parts of Madison are located out Old Hickory Blvd past Dickerson Road, near I-24. The areas around Gallatin Road tend to be much more hit and miss. I'm not suggesting there are widespread crime issues necessarily, just that the neighborhoods closer to Gallatin Rd. tend to be a little more run down it seems.

So, in summary, I wouldn't have a problem moving to Madison if the house was right and the neighborhood felt right. However, I'd be keenly attuned to the school my kids were zoned for and drive the area to see if the neighborhood was kept up fairly well.

Hope that helps!

Old 04-27-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Safety...Madison is pretty safe, although there are pockets of petty crime here and there. This is where the "what part of Madison" question comes into play. It is my impression (pure opinion, nothing more) that the better parts of Madison are located out Old Hickory Blvd past Dickerson Road, near I-24. The areas around Gallatin Road tend to be much more hit and miss. I'm not suggesting there are widespread crime issues necessarily, just that the neighborhoods closer to Gallatin Rd. tend to be a little more run down it seems.
I think it's fair to say that Madison isn't a scary place. I've never felt in danger there. I'm not sure how safe it is to live, but during daylight hours, I'd say it's just fine.

As far as the run down looking areas...besides Gallatin Rd, I would add a lot of what is off of St Rte 45 and (old) Old Hickory Blvd. I'm not sure about crime, but that area just looks and feels ratty.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:03 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
I agree. I think Madison needs a facelift in general. It is a victim of suburban flight. My parents moved from North Nashville/East Nashville to Madison. Then moved further out to Goodlettsville. I moved further out to Hendersonville. Now my generation is moving back to East Nashville, so maybe Madison will experience a hipster renewal soon.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:25 PM

369 posts, read 942,480 times
the end of neely's bend is the nicest area of madison. it is more secluded and is more open.

the drawback of madison is that there's not much to do so you have to go to rivergate. the best grocery store is kroger or walmart market. a lot of lower income people have moved into the area. that's where most of the crime comes from. there might be a new police precinct where the old peterbilt factory was. that's a good location because it's close to a lower end area. the rivergate area isn't that great either. there are a lot of empty buildings now and most of the restaurants are chains. madison is similar to antioch. it was once a popular area to raise a family but has gone downhill in the past 10 years.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I agree. I think Madison needs a facelift in general. It is a victim of suburban flight. My parents moved from North Nashville/East Nashville to Madison. Then moved further out to Goodlettsville. I moved further out to Hendersonville. Now my generation is moving back to East Nashville, so maybe Madison will experience a hipster renewal soon.
Madison received a "partial" facelift in the commercial district several years back...with "Madison" signs marking the business district, and some brick sidewalks...but it really doesn't do a whole lot for the area. I'd like to see more done. Unfortunately the area isn't really overflowing with cool historic commercial buildings, as a lot of the area developed in the 50s and 60s with strip malls. A few of the strip malls have been renovated, too...so at least there is some effort to keep the image updated and cleaner.

As for the "suburban flight"...I find it all very interesting. I spent hours pouring over the census maps, looking at all of the individual tracts and the demographic changes over the past decade. The overall trend is that many whites in Davidson County are moving out of the former "white" suburbs of Madison, Antioch, Woodbine, and a lot of other races and ethnic groups are moving in (they are also moving into places like Hermitage and Bellevue)...and many whites are now starting to move into the inner city areas of East Nashville, Germantown, Waverly, and Melrose. Overall, the whole area is becoming more mixed, at least for the time being. Very interesting transitions going on in Davidson County. Fascinating stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakaveli View Post
the end of neely's bend is the nicest area of madison. it is more secluded and is more open.

the drawback of madison is that there's not much to do so you have to go to rivergate. the best grocery store is kroger or walmart market. a lot of lower income people have moved into the area. that's where most of the crime comes from. there might be a new police precinct where the old peterbilt factory was. that's a good location because it's close to a lower end area. the rivergate area isn't that great either. there are a lot of empty buildings now and most of the restaurants are chains. madison is similar to antioch. it was once a popular area to raise a family but has gone downhill in the past 10 years.
That's pretty much the feeling I've been getting from the area. Interesting info on the police precinct, though. Maybe that will have a positive impact on the area. Lord knows they needed to do something with that Peterbuilt site, too.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:33 PM

47 posts, read 118,338 times
I'm sitting in Madison right now, JUST east of Gallatin Road, essentially on Neely's Bend. I don't live here, I'm just doing my regular babysitting gig for a couple in their early 30's who have transplanted to Madison from Minnesota. I feel perfectly comfortable walking around this particular neighborhood around dusk. I've never seen any crime while I've been here, and the neighbors mostly keep to themselves--unlike my redneck neighborhood where people think it's fine to bother you at any time (day or night). I'm sure there are other areas I couldn't say the same about--but this area of Neely's Bend is enjoyable at all hours.

There are some conveniences being here: you're very near to some great shopping--I don't refer to Rivergate mall itself, but there are a zillion stores nearby. You're just a short ride from the lake and you have easy access to major highways including Briley Parkway, which runs in a loop around the city, 65 which runs N/S, 24 which runs E/W and Ellington Parkway, a great way to get into downtown quickly.

I think Madison is a nice option if you're looking to buy your own home and still stay within Davidson county. I would personally prefer to be closer to downtown and I'd say it's important for you to be comfortable driving a lot. Within Madison itself you won't find a whole lot to entertain, and Rivergate is only good for consumption of food and goods from mostly chain businesses. I still think it'd be fine to live here because you can easily hop on Ellington and hit up East Nashville or Downtown for the fulfillment of any more "urban" needs.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:32 AM

215 posts, read 681,956 times
Quote:
Now my generation is moving back to East Nashville, so maybe Madison will experience a hipster renewal soon.
I have a question, who is your generation supposedly moving over to Nashville, I don't understand?

Last edited by goodman2; 04-28-2011 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: I Messed Up

Old 04-29-2011, 11:22 AM

56 posts, read 176,290 times
The house is on the corner of Wellington and Freda Villa, but it is a moot point now. It is no longer on the market, guess someone bought it. But thanks for all of the good info, it will come in handy if I find another house in Madison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville