Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 01:05 PM

6 posts, read 8,594 times

Advertisements

So the wife, our 2.5 year old and I are thinking of moving from Long Island to Hendersonville within the next couple of years. I've been doing my research online and on here and will be making a trip down to Nashville area sometime next year. My questions are, why are there so many homes for sale in Hendersonville? Why are folks leaving what seems to be such a lovely area? Why is the Hendersonville Police Dept recruiting Spanish speaking officers? Is there a large influx of illegal immigrants in the area?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 03:19 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,844,358 times
Hendersonville gains about 800-1000 new residents per year and many legal immigrants speak Spanish too. I would imagine almost any city in this country of Hendersonville's size would need Spanish speaking officers.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:30 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
I echo what vive said all around. I'd also add that with the thawing in the housing market there are many people looking to move up in the same area. Homes for sale don't necessarily mean that the majority of homeowners are leaving the area.

As far as recruiting Spanish speaking officers, that sounds like a good practice.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:09 PM

256 posts, read 482,429 times
We'll they do have a lot of Mexican Restaurants!

Old 10-08-2013, 04:49 PM

Unfortunately, there are far more Spanish speaking illegal immigrants coming to the US than legal ones. The legal ones, more often than not, make every effort to learn English. This is usually not the case with illegal immigrants. Hence the need for Spanish speaking officers when there's an increase in the population of illegals. Hendersonville PD is paying a $5000.00 bonus to recruits who are Spanish speaking.

Gaining or losing residents isn't the final measure in the amount of homes for sale. Hendersonville is gaining residents and NY is losing them. Levittown NY has as many residents as Hendersonville, yet there are only 128 homes for sale in Levittown whereas there are 582 homes for sale in Hendersonville, of which only 20 are new construction.

So once again my question is, why are there so many homes for sale in Hendersonville? Where are the Hendersonvillians moving to and WHY?

Mod Cut

Last edited by Beretta; 10-09-2013 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: Rude remarks removed; all posters remarks are welcome no matter their location

Old 10-08-2013, 05:45 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,844,358 times
I lived in Hendersonville for many years and visit often. Again, it's gaining 800-1000 people per year meaning far more people are moving TO Hendersonville than leaving it. I don't believe there are really more houses for sale in Hendersonville than any other city of its similar size and position as a growing sunbelt suburb.

Searching homes for sale on Trulia
Homes / New construction
Brentwood - 659 homes / 186
Hendersonville -730 homes / 108
Franklin - 1,308 homes / 296
Mt Juliet 861 Homes / 304
Smyrna - 478 Homes / 95
Spring Hill - 711 homes / 317

Also, most companies do give a bonus if someone speaks Spanish and any town even half the size of Hendersonville would consider it a good idea to have officers who speak it.

Last edited by vivelafrance; 10-08-2013 at 05:54 PM..

Old 10-08-2013, 09:25 PM

Using Trulia isn't the best way to search for homes. I'm looking at new homes and 101 Beacon Cv is listed 5 times with 5 different models and prices. So that skews the numbers.

Growth would be best reflected in new construction sales and I'm not seeing it. What I am seeing is higher rental vs ownership rates in Hendersonville. Also seeing rising crime rates in Hendersonville while crime rates are down or steady in the other towns you listed and also nationwide.

mod cut

Well I'm a recently retired police officer and our department doesn't give a bonus if an officer can speak a foreign language and neither do any of the other departments in NYS.

Why would it be a good idea for a police department to actively recruit Spanish speaking officers unless the Spanish speaking population is on the rise in the geographical area the department covers? The largest percentage of foreign born Hendersonville residents are from Mexico. So, since you're a former resident of Hendersonville, would you say the Hispanic population is on the rise in Hendersonville?

Last edited by Beretta; 10-09-2013 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: links to competing websites not allowed

Old 10-08-2013, 09:27 PM

11 posts, read 24,299 times
We live in Hendersonville.

Houses (good looking & reasonably priced ones) are going like hotcakes here I search the MLS daily and it seems like atleast half the houses between $200 - $350k are under contract. Inventory was limited during the recession, but now that lending has eased up, people are buying/selling like crazy. Hendersonville has a great school system, and outside of Williamson County, would say its the best place to raise a family in all of Tennessee. Great community, small lots, large lots, acreage lots, etc.... Diverse, but not overly so. I know of no one moving out of the area, if anything, they are selling and upgrading

Old 10-08-2013, 10:37 PM

Thanks for the response Rusty.....but I'm still baffled by the selling and upgrading. So where are the former owners, of the home the new owners upgraded to, buying and moving to? I'm not seeing enough recently sold new construction in Hendersonville to make this feasible. Are they selling and downgrading? That might explain it.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:42 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
Mr. Rubrick, perhaps Hendersonville is not the right move for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville