Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 11:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

i have one bird of paradise that came out here it is.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i...eshouse002.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 05:33 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
DaGrouch....you're the best! I always smile reading your posts, but the one about the blood sucking leech almost had me spitting coffee onto my screen. And the Mexican stand-off between the squirrel and the blue jay... I could almost hear the argument going on. Say, do you think maybe the squirrel and the cat had planned that??? Ya never know.

Huck...that's a gorgeous BOP. We have a few plants and, in the 4 years or so since we started them, we've had one - count 'em - one blossom. Of course, DH transplanted 2 of them after 1 had bloomed. The other two are newer, only about 2 years old and they're the white variety. I keep watching. We do have 2 more pineapples coming from the same plants we picked from about 6-8 months ago.

Please cross your fingers, toes, legs, eyes, whatever you can....it says we have a 40% chance of rain today. We really, really really could use it.

My friend Marty called at 9:30 last night, which is very unusual because she knows I'm usually asleep by then. We had a huge moon halo going on...it was soooo cool! I called our neighbors who are into astrology and they came out and looked too. She's a bit on the "eccentric" side...she laid down in the grass so she could watch it without kinking her neck and tried to get me to do it. Nope. Not me. Not with all those ants and things that bite down there. I just stand on the grass and they get me. But it was fun. I wonder what our neighbor Morgan thought was going on when he came around the corner in his golf cart and saw us out there, with her on the ground, lying on her back with her hands crossed over her chest.....

On that note.......

Old 02-05-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I won't kill spiders most of the time. Earlier tonight I took a honey bee and turned it loose outside. It had just stung my almost 1 yr old Gdaughter. They've recently removed a screen door to back porch BBQ area... the bee was in her bedroom.
I've learned a lot about bees since we moved down here. I'm allergic to them and used to swat at them (even tho folks told me not to). Now, I'm rather used to them and we have put in certain plants to encourage them, along with butterflies, to come around. We even don't trim the seed pods off the palm trees because, when they do open, they have these beautiful yellow flower clusters that the bees just love. They gather in them so that you can hear the buzzing all the way down to the ground....and these trees are about 15 feet tall! DH has found out that bees will learn your scent if you're around them long enough and, when they know that you won't hurt them, they leave you alone. They're neat creatures to watch. SOrry he stung your GD, tho.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:09 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
NMS, I never knew bees learn your scent. I never kill them either. Fundamental difference between me and my sibling. He would try and kill any bee he encountered. I always said it was out of fear and that made him mad.

I miss seeing those beautiful Bird Of Paradise plants. Nice pic, Huck.

Well, I definitely don't kill spiders and my tribe believes they bring good luck, or a positive sign in some way. When Felix's niece came to visit, a HUGE wolf spider ran across her foot on her last day here and she screamed at the top of her lungs!!!!!!!! She even ran outside and scared the GSD so bad, our dog started barking at her and our dog never barks at anyone.

Needless to say, she refused to go back into the bathroom and was only too happy that she was on her way home.

I mean. Seriously? This IS rural Oklahoma, you know. BTW, she killed the spider. We are all different, but I felt more bad for the spider than I did for her trauma.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:49 AM

We try not to kill anything, either, red. I guess as we've "matured", we've learned to respect life more. Now, I have to admit I have no qualms about smushing mosquitoes or flies or those nasty little ants that crawl on my feet or arms or palmetto bugs. Pretty much everything else is safe around me.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:13 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
I've killed a scorpion in a friend's house. No good can come from a scorpion in a house, and if you try to pick it up to release it, it would sting you.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:27 AM

Can't fault you there, bjh. Since I've never had to deal with Scorpions (other than in horoscopes), I didn't think of them.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:36 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Any scorpion found by me is a dead scorpion. I hate those medieval things. Honey bees I respect and have no fear of. Red wasps I do fear they really hurt.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:36 PM

I have scorpion esp. I was lying in front of the tv one night several years ago, and thought to myself, I better be careful of scorpions and one came crawling towards me.

So I used a paper towel to scoop him up and said to him, as he waved his claws and raised his tail at me, Little Brother-this is not a good place for you, and I took him outside and made a deal. Your life if you promise not to sting anyone in my family.

A second time I was going to bed and thought to myself, I better check under the covers for scorpions, which I never do, and lo and behold, (I SH you not), there was a scorpion in my bed under the covers. WOW.

I just fed the outside cat and GSD, and saw 8 deer across the road in the pasture. Beautiful. The young'ns were frolicking and one was standing up "play-fighting" another one.

Beautiful creatures. In the far south, some Natives believe they are Healing spirits.

I posted a pic somewhere here on CD of a baby scorpion. Never seen one that tiny before.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Any scorpion found by me is a dead scorpion. I hate those medieval things. Honey bees I respect and have no fear of. Red wasps I do fear they really hurt.
Yes, red wasps will dive bomb you and if you don't move, they will sting. I got stung on the calf once while mowing. Right after one dive bombed me and hit me on top of the head. Before I could react, the second one stung me. Oh man. You talk about painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature