Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 11:32 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,890 times

Advertisements

I think someone started a trend. #670.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 01:36 AM

553 posts, read 1,544,470 times
(Sorry to break the trend.) The many times that I've been to NE I can't recall one bad experience. We drove all over that state, ate at many places, stayed at a few hotels, but for the most part we stayed with family. The only "scetchy" place I can recall wasn't a town. It was the Winnebago Reservation. My brother-in-law told me over the phone to drive through as fast we could, don't stop for anything or anyone and don't stop for gas. I don't know what his fear was or why he said that.

Truth is, we drove through just fine, no problems. The area itself looked a bit run-down IMO. Oh yeah....I do remember he told us that somebody got drunk and drove their car through the main store (like a mall or something) and that's where it stayed. Nobody cleaned it up or moved it for a very long time.

I consider what I was told as "hearsay" or "rumor", so if anyone wants to put their two cents in on that, be my guest. I love Nebraska and the people and I have nothing to complain about. Am I 672?

Old 01-05-2011, 06:41 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,869,561 times
I have a funny little personal story about Nebraska : as a teen I made it coast-to-coast in a pooled car, I was 16, remember, these were the Seventies, so I was sporting longish hair and had cool attitudes like many yougsters in that bygone era.
So we stopped at a big park in Omaha (or maybe it was Des Moines, I'm unsure, it's so far-off), to cool ourselves, it was summer, sunny, hot weather, so I ambled in the park wearing only my speedos...the reaction was incredible, people were staring at me, some youngsters (boys and girls) heckled me, made me feel so bad -like if there was some contained violence)that I just hastened back to the car and hid in there.
Questions : were Nebraskans so conservative back then that they were schocked to see a young guy in speedos with his balls making a "bulge" or is it just my loverall ooks that they found funny (i was rather a jock, slim and muscular, so what was the point?) or were they just bored and seeing a foreigner sort of turned them on?

Old 01-30-2011, 04:42 PM

6 posts, read 6,761 times
Me: born Omaha 1963, have lived Hastings, GI, Central City, Wood River and in over 10 yrs Army Oklahoma and Germany. Drove truck over the road in 45 of 50 states. There are good towns and bad towns in all walks of life. Not sure what some of the underlying causes to this may be but sometimes it just seems to happen. And OH YEAH! Some Ne. towns are very clicky. Veeeeery clicky.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:05 PM

76 posts, read 234,632 times
Frankly, I'd live almost anywhere in Nebraska compared to many other parts of the world these days! Ha!

Old 03-13-2011, 10:04 AM

737 posts, read 1,916,056 times
After traveling around central and north central Nebraska the last few months(mainly for hunting season) I have noticed that many many small towns in this state can be considered ghost towns.

http://bonanzaworld.net/bwgallery/gallery/albums/userpics/10166/normal_BradyBunch3.jpg (broken link)

About 15 years ago I started traveling the state in the Ag industry. I happened to run thru a town Alexadria,NE I was totally amazed a real life ghost town.
Kind of like the one you've seen in a Brady Bunch episode.

Now I see them all over the state everywhere, it is so bad we had to stop and buy a cooler and stock up on drinks and snacks just so we would not be caught headed into a boarded up town.

I can only imagine what the rural County and City tax coffers are like.

Still..............Laurel,NE does Sux.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,605 times
It's been three years since you've bashed the entire state of Nebraska in your vote for Ogalalla as the worst town here. I'd just like to point out that your prophecy about the state dying couldn't have been further from the truth. While the rest of the country is still in turmoil from the recession, our unemployment level hasn't gone above 5 percent and our state has three -- yes count them ONE TWO THREE -- county listed in CNN Money's top 10 places to call home in 2010.

So, while you might think Ogallala -- and Nebraska in general -- is a full of backward, uncultured hicks who don't know anything, most of us still have jobs.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:23 PM

So true, I agree!!!! I have been traveling Nebraska for the past fifteen years more so than most. I have seen the deserted towns, closed up shops, decaying homes. Just speaking the truth of what I have seen and where I have been.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARNYOU View Post
I knew that this topic would make some sparks to fly. I would like to say that not all towns in Nebraska are all bad, just a few. I do like Hartington, Springview, Sargent, Salem, Wynot, Comstock McCook, Maywood,Guide Rock,Bee, Nelson, Harvard, Central City, Red Cloud. And me the all time favorite town is.....Lawrence,Ne.

Alot of good points have been brought up, but I have to say you are right about this attitude towards outsiders. I travel this great state of our's for my job I have been to almost every town east of Broken Bow. I see alot of towns are trying build up and bring more business to their town. I also see lot of towns dieing out, and I see a lot of what I call ghost-towns to name a few..Primrose, Alexandria, Guide Rock, Scholes, Pauline, and Sargent.Some towns a person just feels welcome in and some towns you don't and It is mostly in the towns trying to build themselves up I feel the most unwelcome.

Go figuire... OH and Stay Away from Laurel,NE
ya... i live in Primrose, not a bad town at all. not a ghost town really either.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:23 PM

Oh yeah Primrose, NE. They do have a good bar and grill. That is about it. I hope it is still open. We are going P doggie around there soon.

Last edited by Happygolucky; 04-11-2011 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: no reason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska