Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 01:05 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,491,319 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the sound advice on Elko, Eric. My wife and I are coming out for my job interview at the hospital on Monday. Really can't wait to see the place. It sounds beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 10:43 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,937,476 times
Brothels are always hiring...and elko, Carlin, Battle Mountain have a few They are not picky when it comes to age, looks and weight...long has you make money thats all that matters...not only do they offer legal prostitution jobs, but, also bartenders, office staff, cooks and maids...I WOULD be careful with the Maid positions in a brothel...it could be hazardous sure they use some sort of SAFE method to clean up after a person is entertained....

Old 03-28-2010, 11:23 AM

4 posts, read 21,531 times
I'am looking for a rental in elko area, my husband is lookin for a mine job as he is a haul drive at a mine in central nv now . just tired of small town and bad attitude if your not in right circle of friends, i have been online and phone , we are just biding our time , if anyone has suggestion for job or rentals ,tinksmom

Old 03-29-2010, 06:41 PM

Update on my job interview at ths hospital. Apparently my online application didn't properly go through. Once they get that(I just finished it 10 minutes ago)they will send a job offer to my e-mail. I'll call them tomorrow as they've already gone home tonight. Two things tough, though:
1)High cost of rental and houses(we're used to SE Arizona's low cost of housing!!)
2)It will take 6 weeks to get my Nevada Respiratory Therapy license(there's no way to speed it up, either)

My wife and may buy a RV and live in it. We also need to sell or at least rent out our house in Willcox, AZ. We'll both get paid for our unused PTO at the hospital in Willcox and I may get a severance check from the hospital in Willcox. Also, I will get a signing bonus and a relocation check combined from the new hospital, so, my wife and I will be able to swing this thing and we'll be able to successfully move to Elko, NV.

The length of time to get my Nevada RT license is not as big a problem as it will be to rent out/hopefully sell our home in Willcox, AZ.

After we get back to Willcox I'm going to work hard to fill out all of the licensure paperwork and at the same time start talking to real estate agents in Willcox to get the house rented out.

I think it'll all work out. I think we're gonna love Elko, NV. Glad to be here! WHOO-HOO!

Old 04-03-2010, 04:16 AM

Update to the above post. I am currently awaiting a password reset so that I can access my MSN e-mail. I inadvertently lost my auto-password while logging in to my e-mail the other day. Can't find the password anywhere and I have a Window Live problem resolve expert working on finding that information for me. Once I get that I may very well have an offer package from NNRMC (the hospital in Elko, NV) in it to explore.

My wife and I went and met with the Manager and rest of the RT group there and had a nice meal. A very nice group of people.

So we are making plans to take that position and move to Elko, NV. It is pretty countryside surrounding it but it is just as beautiful here in Willcox, AZ. We will keep our house in Willcox, AZ,
and rent it out to our son and his friend.

There are two things to work on in the meantime, one being filling out the Nevada state RT licensure forms. That is a project and a half. Times 100! Yikes.

The other is finding suitable housing in Elko, NV. It is overpriced due to the high demand for housing from all of the miners working there. We have looked at a few homes and will continue doing that using the internet while still here in Willcox. The other idea we have kicked around and are strongly considering is buying an RV and living in it there in Elko. My wife loves the idea. Towing our '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS should not be a problem with an RV and we would just need to find a good space to occupy there. We could change locations from time to time.

More on these quests later. Elko does look isolated but does offer many amenities and the people seem friendly. Plenty of stores are available and we found some good food at Elko restaurants.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:26 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
More on these quests later. Elko does look isolated but does offer many amenities and the people seem friendly. Plenty of stores are available and we found some good food at Elko restaurants.
Don't deceive yourself. ELKO *IS* ISOLATED. You are 230 miles away from the nearest major city which is Salt Lake City. Air service is relatively infrequent and is very expensive.

While Elko has a medical center, you may need to drive a long distance for specialized health care.

You are three to four hours away from other places if you want to get out of town. And unlike Willcox, you have to worry about snow, chains and the like.

To give you some ideas of the remoteness of Elko County, Elko High School is one of the few PUBLIC schools that offers boarding services for students. Also, Elko High School puts 75k miles on their sports bus as their league games are as far as Reno and Incline Village.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:21 AM

4 posts, read 21,531 times
I beg your parton. I think ELKO has advantage, It does have good places bigger stores,banks movie thearte, bowling, parks , resturants , places to EXPLORE . If you want to compare remote , come live in CENTRAL nevada ( round mountain) now thats in the middle of know where, and friendly people , not by a longshot , If you are not in the circle or a boss , been there many years , you are screwed. I deal with it everyday, kids bulley others , push and call names , and omg there parents are just the same , Now plz let me say yes we do also have just a few nice ones here , but the bad ones stickout more , and once you are marked as a bad apple , just move is the only option , Elko is a good place !

Old 04-03-2010, 09:30 PM

402 posts, read 1,528,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Update on my job interview at ths hospital. Apparently my online application didn't properly go through. Once they get that(I just finished it 10 minutes ago)they will send a job offer to my e-mail. I'll call them tomorrow as they've already gone home tonight. Two things tough, though:
1)High cost of rental and houses(we're used to SE Arizona's low cost of housing!!)
2)It will take 6 weeks to get my Nevada Respiratory Therapy license(there's no way to speed it up, either)

My wife and may buy a RV and live in it. We also need to sell or at least rent out our house in Willcox, AZ. We'll both get paid for our unused PTO at the hospital in Willcox and I may get a severance check from the hospital in Willcox. Also, I will get a signing bonus and a relocation check combined from the new hospital, so, my wife and I will be able to swing this thing and we'll be able to successfully move to Elko, NV.

The length of time to get my Nevada RT license is not as big a problem as it will be to rent out/hopefully sell our home in Willcox, AZ.

After we get back to Willcox I'm going to work hard to fill out all of the licensure paperwork and at the same time start talking to real estate agents in Willcox to get the house rented out.

I think it'll all work out. I think we're gonna love Elko, NV. Glad to be here! WHOO-HOO!
congrats on the job. Im a RT in Ely, left AZ myself 5 years ago. The med board may not take the usually 6 weeks. We just had a new grad here get his in about 4 1/2 weeks. It will just show up in the mail unanounced, so if you dont have a place to live yet, I'd either get a PO Box or have you address be the hospital. I have mine as the hospital since all the info is public record and avalible on the med board website. You're gonna find the board is so much laid back here compaired to AZ. In some ways its good, in others, not. Never been to NENR, but Im sure its alot like us, mostly stablize them and get them to SLC for anything that needs an ICU. You guys have a much bigger facility and more docs so you may keep a few more people that we would usually ship out.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:24 AM

Very cool, another RT on here that also moved from AZ to Nevada. BTW, another very cool city in Nevada is Boulder City. We drove through that while looking for a PC to use the internet. Very laid back and beautiful "planned" type of community. We're thinking we'd like to retire there. We drove back to Willcox from Elko and got caught in one of the nastiest snowstorms I've ever encountered. It got tough around Ely and continued that way pert-near all the way to Caliente. I must've had to get out and scrape off my windshield 10 times! At Caliente we found a great motel that was reasonably priced called the Rainbow Canyon Motel. Great 32" diag.Sanyo TV mounted a tad high on the wall in there that looks like one I'd one day like to buy for our home.

Anyhoo-yeah, at the interview there it looked like an even slower pace in the hospital than I'm used to seeing in Willcox. We got a new Hospitalist at Willcox that loves IPPB therapy. Man, he wears it out, though! A lot of the pt.'s are just too old for it and he won't listen to you. He says he wants us to make our own decisions but he really doesn't listen to us when we do take control. Typical doctor, eh?

Yeah, I don't know how much NENR uses their ICU, I will find out. NENR uses PB 7200's. Nothing wrong with that, they're good vent's, I just thought we'd use V200's in there or something a tad more modern. But that's hardly a knock on the place at all.

My wife and I like the town. Nice to hear the board is laid back. I'm going to really start filling out my paperwork for my NV license tomorrow (Sunday). Looking forward to digging in and getting things notarized, etc. So I can mail that thing in by Tuesday or so. Monday would be even better. But that's way cool that it might not take 6 weeks but perhaps 5 or even 4 1/2 weeks.

My wife was happy to see the "modern" edge of town over by the Elko Regional Airport. We stayed one night on our trip at the Shilo Inn, a very nice place to stay in Elko.

Our latest and perhaps greatest idea to solve the last Elko puzzle is this. We will rent out a cottage there that is fully furnished. It has a swimming pool and spa, exercise equipment, etc. We've decided that we like these community-type deals like that. The Iron Horse RV Resort cleaning gals will keep the place spotless for us (can't improve upon that!) and there is a dog park. We have a 2 y/o Chow Chow and a 6 y/o 20-lb. Pomeranian that we spoil dearly that we'd love to take with us. It's cool if we can't, our son is staying behind in Willcox to hold the fort down at the house and he loves the dogs. But man, we'll start missing them too much. And the cottages are in great proximity to surrounding businesses my wife will apply for work at. She cooks and cleans and should be able to garner multiple jobs in pretty short order from the downtown Elko area. She will be in demand.

We don't know if the Iron Horse will allow dogs there or not yet, but we'll find out tomorrow. Every day new stuff develops, it's quite fluid right now. But the job offer is here printed out in Willcox and I've started filling out the background check paperwork and such. I will accept this position in Elko. We'd like to just settle on this place and start making more concrete plans to get housing there and fully settle in.

I think Elko will suit me just fine. I will probably want to trade our 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS in on a 2011 Suzuki Kizashi GTS Sport in either Polar White, Vivid Red or Platinum Silver Metallic and 6-speed transmission around August, when they hit U.S. Suzuki dealers. It appears that Dennis Dillon Suzuki in Boise, ID, (191 miles north) will be my closest Suzuki dealer to buy from and get service from. Oh well, I'll just have ta deal wid it.

Life can be good. Real good. I am going to love the cold, fresh air of Elko. We'll get lots of hiking in with the dogs in the Ruby Mountains, I'm thinking, too.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....snowmenopt.jpg

2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS in Platinum Metallic Silver

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-05-2010 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: copyright issues ...hotlinked from a site with a copyright statement

Old 04-04-2010, 07:22 PM

5 posts, read 21,385 times
Im looking to move to Elko in 6mo to a year are there any construction jobs there, remodeling etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada