Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 04:14 PM

453 posts, read 2,101,116 times

Advertisements

an AWD would be nice, but you'll be fine with a 2WD as long as you have decent tires. I drive a 2WD S-10 (quite possibly the worst vehicle for driving in snow) and I've survived the last two winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 04:35 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,035,160 times
I just wish one could get a subaru without AWD. I like the cars in general, but based on a friend's experience with the AWD on her toyota - it made repairs more expensive and cut her gas mileage more than she otherwise would have had. but I think that's their gimick and you're just stuck. <sigh>

Old 06-18-2009, 04:44 PM

8 posts, read 25,928 times
Well it is really sounding like Subaru may be the way to go. I am avoiding Trucks and SUVs at all costs if I can. I will go ahead and look up this Oneil fellow for the driving classes. Chicago is pretty flat, so even though winters get rough here, nothing is worse than snowy uphill conditions from what I have heard.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:18 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
I just wish one could get a subaru without AWD. I like the cars in general, but based on a friend's experience with the AWD on her toyota - it made repairs more expensive and cut her gas mileage more than she otherwise would have had. but I think that's their gimick and you're just stuck. <sigh>
I drive a Subaru Forester and it gets 29-30mpg on the highway if I go the speed limit.
It is quite possibly the best driving car in snowy conditions ever. I live out in the country so I have to navigate gravel and dirt roads frequently. It handles muddy conditions quite well also.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossiblyMe View Post
Well it is really sounding like Subaru may be the way to go. I am avoiding Trucks and SUVs at all costs if I can. I will go ahead and look up this Oneil fellow for the driving classes. Chicago is pretty flat, so even though winters get rough here, nothing is worse than snowy uphill conditions from what I have heard.
From what I hear, the older Subarus get better gas mileage than the newer ones. It seems like all vehicle manufacturers keep making the cars heavier and larger

Old 06-18-2009, 06:06 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,065,875 times
A lot of the added weight is due to safety equipment. A "hollow" door doesn't weigh much...one with side-impact door beams and air bags does! Likewise a plain old brake master cylinder doesn't weigh much...add a power brakes booster, ABS distribution box, etc...and all of a sudden the system weighs 3x more.

That said, I hear that many new Subaru's have a "user" controllable engine computer- where you can switch between "economy", "normal", and "performance" modes. This is VERY neat...

Back to the OP for the best "snow" vehicle:
AWD & Snow Tires will give you the absolute best available traction. A lower vehicle will have a lower center of gravity and therefore be easier to stop/turn/accelerate. In short- the "best" snow vehicle would be an AWD car; whether that's a Subaru, Infiniti, Saab, BMW, Mercedes, Chrysler- doesn't matter too much.

That said...FWD is fine. I have a FWD Saab and it is stellar in the snow. I have bridgestone blizzaks for winter tires. The automatic stability program computer is amazing...it will actually apply the brake to specific wheels to resist spins and other issues.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:14 PM

354 posts, read 1,273,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossiblyMe View Post
Once again you guys have come through for me, thanks so much. I was actually looking at Toyota, Subaru, and Honda cars. I am driving a Cavalier right now,'99 model. It slides like a bastard in the snow but Ive gotten pretty good at controlling it when it seems uncontrollable. I am not a big fan of SUVs usually, and was really aiming at a Camaro, but after looking it up, it quite obviously would be treacherous in the snow, so that is a no go. I can definately see myself in a Subaru though, do you think the Impreza would handle well? I am a car virgin when it comes to maintenance and aftermarket upgrades that might be necessary. Greg I think you would be the chap to talk to about that, for obvious reasons hah.

Well once again everyone, thank you so much. If anyone else out there has any tips, please share!
"Like a Bastard" - so New England, ahhhhhhh I miss that talk down here.

I miss RWD and doing donuts in an empty parking lot. I got good at hanging the rear end out going around corners. Them front WD cars screwed me up for awhile. (You cannot turn and brake/drive at the same time in snow - pick one or the other).

I never had a AWD vehicle and did just fine. Laconia hmmmmm, I would get AWD. Lots of people love Subarus. I think its all a Subaru cult in Maine and NH but happy is happy. Only negative you will here on Subarus is head gaskets. Subarus are good for a low AWD vehicle. SUVS have that rollover problem from in-experienced drivers trying to slalom around cars on rt93 at 85 mph.

Story Time
I had a Dodge Van that I drove during a snow storm from Manchester to Rutland Vt. (Well it wasn't snowing when I left - I'm not THAT stupid). I had to go up and over Killington. Used all my RWD skills going up and up and up ( and down ) that mountain. When I got there the guy I met said "Thought you weren't going to make it". I dreaded going back. He said not to worry, they salt the crap out of this side of Killington for all the New Yorkers.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF66389 View Post
A lot of the added weight is due to safety equipment. A "hollow" door doesn't weigh much...one with side-impact door beams and air bags does! Likewise a plain old brake master cylinder doesn't weigh much...add a power brakes booster, ABS distribution box, etc...and all of a sudden the system weighs 3x more.
Subarus are five star crash test rated (for both front and side protection). I am fairly sure most models come with side curtain airbags. Subaru also triple reinforces the side impact beam of the vehicle. Even with the excellent safety ratings of the outgoing model, the redesigned (Forester) is a heavier vehicle that gets lower MPG.

For the OP: I think a certified used Subaru is an excellent value overall. (I don't see the appeal of buying new when you factor in rapid initial depreciation).

Old 06-18-2009, 10:43 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,162,803 times
One that starts every time you turn the key.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
FWIW - My wife and I drove a pair of 1974 SAAB 99 FWD sedans over 500,000 miles before the rust deamons got them after 15 yrs. I do know how to drive things (except trailer trucks) no matter which wheels are doing the pushing. All cars have four wheel brakes so the choice of driveline is not that important.

I have always found braking to be trickier than acelleration when trying to cover ground. A down hill snow covered road to a "T" junction is about a tricky as it can get. Good luck moving to NH. Keep in touch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire