Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 10:16 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times

Advertisements

New Hampshire is really on the map this week, first the Granite State of Mind song/video that took the Internet by storm, and today, New Hampshire was once again named The Safest State in the country. 3rd year in a row! I'm so proud to live and work here!

That our state is safe is no surprise to most of us, but I'd love to hear ideas on why YOU think New Hampshire is THE safest state in the nation...

Last edited by Valerie C; 04-06-2010 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: Live Free or Die...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 11:12 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,067,185 times
I think its a combination of reasons. There are several different situations at work in NH that really would come into play in discouraging crime/lowering crime rates.

1) Low Population Density- Less opportunity for crime by those interested in it
2) Low Population Density- Less stress/anger at those around you
3) Higher belief in personal responsibility- People take personal actions to deter/prevent crime
4) Strong community response to crime- Even in "urban" areas its not just accepted as part of life
5) Better fiscal standing- While not a ton of jobs; fairly low unemployment rate/higher earnings rate
6) Peaceful environment- A lot of beauty/Many ways to achieve harmony with ones self
7) Fast paced enough to keep you busy, but slow enough that you aren't running rampid
8) Parenting style- Many parents in NH seem very involved with their kids, that has an impact
9) Pride- More people are "proud" of their way of life/how they live; even if facing hard times

And of course there are a ton of other reasons...but these are things that come to mind for me.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:35 AM

132 posts, read 356,430 times
SSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! !!!

Old 04-06-2010, 11:42 AM

182 posts, read 718,960 times
And it is a libertarian state.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:50 PM

369 posts, read 964,652 times
I have to agree with all of the above reasons.

I'll also add it is my belief the lack of restrictive firearms legislation and open carry helps keep the crime rate down. Criminals are less likely to commit a robbery or burgulary when they know they have a good chance of being shot.

Now if only the castle doctrine / self defense RSA's were more like Florida's....

Old 04-06-2010, 02:50 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
Quote:
Mr Twigg wrote: I'll also add it is my belief the lack of restrictive firearms legislation and open carry helps keep the crime rate down. Criminals are less likely to commit a robbery or burgulary when they know they have a good chance of being shot.
that makes sense, and I've heard that, but... isn't FL an conceal carry state? and from what I've heard they aren't exactly crime free... so I'm not sure that logic works.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:21 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,067,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrtwigg View Post
I'll also add it is my belief the lack of restrictive firearms legislation and open carry helps keep the crime rate down. Criminals are less likely to commit a robbery or burgulary when they know they have a good chance of being shot.
I put that under this one "People take personal actions to deter/prevent crime"...whether you have lighting/dog/alarm system/firearm or a mix of them; it seems more people here have "something" that makes their home less inviting to potential criminals. I notice almost everyone seems to have some outdoor lighting on at night, many have alarms, many have dogs, and many of guns. Combined with less probability for crime and less tendency toward crime...bam- safe state.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:18 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,697,470 times
Thats awesome Val! We are aiming to be there by next summer. And my state- Nevada- Las Vegas, ranks the worst! lol. Why? Because of all these Illegal aliens and their street gangs! Sad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
New Hampshire is really on the map this week, first the Granite State of Mind song/video that took the Internet by storm, and today, New Hampshire was once again named The Safest State in the country. 3rd year in a row! I'm so proud to live and work here!

That our state is safe is no surprise to most of us, but I'd love to hear ideas on why YOU think New Hampshire is THE safest state in the nation...

Old 04-07-2010, 02:21 AM

31 posts, read 66,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Thats awesome Val! We are aiming to be there by next summer. And my state- Nevada- Las Vegas, ranks the worst! lol. Why? Because of all these Illegal aliens and their street gangs! Sad!
Positiveone, I thought we beat you out in CA with all of the aforementioned illegals and street gangs. Any way, for me there are lots of reasons to move out of CA, and, up and over to NH or ME when I retire. And crime, and lack thereof, is a HUGE reason why we will be retiring in NH or ME. Glad to hear those stats, and the crime stats are one of the first things I'm looking at when I'm researching a town in City Data.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:03 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,308,329 times
Though, I agree with the reasons provided, I somewhat disagree. I feel the most important reason for low crime is the cost of living. High cost of liviing is notorious for keeping the riff raff out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire