Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:14 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Yeah, exit 10 off 295 is the Beckett development in Logan and that bleeds into the Weatherby development in Woolwich. Those areas envelop the one side of Swedesboro. There are also a lot of large stand alone developments outside those immediate areas with several still being built.

The reason the 130 area is pretty much undeveloped is that there is a ton of industry in that area that makes development undesirable. If you go away from Beckett off of exit 10 you go past the PureLand complex and the road is simply lined with warehouses, distribution centers and other facilities on both sides. When you get down to 130 by the river there are several large manufacturing/chemical plants.

Also, most of the area along 130 is wetlands and flood plains, which makes development impossible. Basically anything west of 295 from Gibbstown down to Penns Grove has extremely limited ability to be developed. Outside of some industrial areas and Bridgeport (which is part of Logan and with about 600 people living in the town), there isn't much there.
Isn't there a nuclear power plant around there too, like in the Pennsville area? And I know lots of people have a problem living near those. I'm all for it personally, it's cheap, clean and efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 08:34 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I remember them removing the Little Nipper windows, & replacing them with a modern logo. There was a huge stink put up by the general public & one Nipper window went back in. I also remember they imploded an RCA building. I thought that that was the one. I do remember that a Nipper window went to the Camden County Historical Society, though.

Nipper window to be on display at Camden County Historical Society | NJ.com

Ground Zero: Camden Fire Department Manages Building Implosion (http://www.9-1-1magazine.com/magazine/1998/0598/features/20louderback.html - broken link)
That would explain why there are large squares missing from parts of the windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Isn't there a nuclear power plant around there too, like in the Pennsville area? And I know lots of people have a problem living near those. I'm all for it personally, it's cheap, clean and efficient.
It's farther south in Lower Alloway.

Overall, I still hope that South Jersey experiences little development. I'd much rather see this last bastion of rural NJ remain rural. It's NJ's hidden gem, so well hidden that most of NJ doesn't even know about it.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:45 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
That would explain why there are large squares missing from parts of the windows.

It's farther south in Lower Alloway.

Overall, I still hope that South Jersey experiences little development. I'd much rather see this last bastion of rural NJ remain rural. It's NJ's hidden gem, so well hidden that most of NJ doesn't even know about it.
I guess that when I no longer saw the Little Nipper window, I just erased the whole building from my consciousness.

Nobody really cared when they put the nuckear plant down there. . .until 3 Mile Island.

I think some development is good for South Jersey, but I hope it stays fairly rural. The same thing is happening in NC, at an alarming rate.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:15 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
The plant is in Salem County and located in Lower Alloway Twp. It's actually built on an artificial island in the Delaware River near the mouth of Hope Creek. It's unique as it is the only dual nuclear facility in NJ as PSE&G's Hope Creek plant shares the same island and there are a total of 3 reactors there.

An interesting fact is that Bruce Willis was a security guard there before he started acting. (thanks wikipedia )

Old 07-30-2010, 10:49 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
Quote:
*Snicker*
Something tells me your dream will come true. South Jersey WILL remain "NJ's hidden gem" in the future.
Urban redevelopment, a focus on public transportation, municipal consolidation & a popular shift from sprawl will almost assuredly solidify South Jersey's future as "NJ's hidden gem".

Old 07-30-2010, 10:55 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,268,147 times
I think the answer is all those big cats living in the swamps. Everytime someone builds a house, the big cats come out and eat them.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:47 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
*Snicker*
Something tells me your dream will come true. South Jersey WILL remain "NJ's hidden gem" in the future.
Urban redevelopment, a focus on public transportation, municipal consolidation & a popular shift from sprawl will almost assuredly solidify South Jersey's future as "NJ's hidden gem".
Pardon me, you might not like rural area with a laid back pace, but I do, and I hope that it stays this way in that respect. It is a "hidden gem", because many people (including NJ residents) do not realize that such places exist in NJ. I'm worried, because I've seen many farms turned into housing developments, Rite Aids, and other buildings destroying more and more farm land. I don't want to see anymore "Cherry Hills".

On the issue of public transportation, don't even get me started on how much of a political game that is. All I'm going to say is that "Manhattan Transit" doesn't really give a crap about us, and the only reason we have what little we have, is because of long political battles (examples; The Atlantic City Line, The River Line, as well as many bus lines) and people down here making a big enough stink about how "unfair"/disproportionate things are. Mass transit in NJ has little to do with where people need to go (and when), and more with politics. To sum this all up, if you want to see one of the many reasons WHY people from South Jersey feel slighted by Trenton, ask us about mass transit. A recent example of North Jersey run public transportation being clueless as to the needs of South Jersey is the canceling of Atlantic City Line train 4610, screwing over many helpless commuters as it was the only train arriving at 30th street station from South Jersey within 1-2 hours of 7:30 a.m.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Pardon me, you might not like rural area with a laid back pace, but I do, and I hope that it stays this way in that respect. It is a "hidden gem", because many people (including NJ residents) do not realize that such places exist in NJ. I'm worried, because I've seen many farms turned into housing developments, Rite Aids, and other buildings destroying more and more farm land. I don't want to see anymore "Cherry Hills".

On the issue of public transportation, don't even get me started on how much of a political game that is. All I'm going to say is that "Manhattan Transit" doesn't really give a crap about us, and the only reason we have what little we have, is because of long political battles (examples; The Atlantic City Line, The River Line, as well as many bus lines) and people down here making a big enough stink about how "unfair"/disproportionate things are. Mass transit in NJ has little to do with where people need to go (and when), and more with politics. To sum this all up, if you want to see one of the many reasons WHY people from South Jersey feel slighted by Trenton, ask us about mass transit. A recent example of North Jersey run public transportation being clueless as to the needs of South Jersey is the canceling of Atlantic City Line train 4610, screwing over many helpless commuters as it was the only train arriving at 30th street station from South Jersey within 1-2 hours of 7:30 a.m.
You're right. Public transportation in South Jersey is a joke, for the most part.

I was contacted by a company on the south end of North Jersey, concerning a job in a 24 hr/365 day a year business (call center). When they started getting serious, I asked, as I would any employer where the job would need you to be there, regardless of weather, When there is a storm predicted in the winter, does the company allow people to sleep in the building? This is normal in South Jersey & Philadelphia. The woman got snotty & told me to take public transportation like everyone else.

I said nothing but spent the next day charting out every possible way to get there by public transportation. It would take 3 - 4 hours, involve multiple transfers & I could not get to the nearest location to the company prior to 10:30 am, if everything went right.

I called the woman back & reminded her of my question & her answer. I told her the exact routing that I had figured out, that had me going all over the state. I then told her that in South Jersey & Philadelphia, my question was considered a responsible question, & businesses do allow employees to sleep in the building, when they need them there, regardless of the weather, & some even put employees up in hotels, to make certain that they have people there to work. I reminded her that she knew that she was calling someone in Cherry Hill, & I assumed that she realized that this was in South Jersey & not in their area. I told her that much as I would like to get a job, I had no interest in working for a company that would expect me to take imaginary public transportation.

ETA: Oh yeah & I also told her that the public transit route that I had figured out also involved a drive that would take 30 minutes in good weather to be able to start the public transit circus.

Last edited by southbound_295; 07-31-2010 at 03:30 PM..

Old 07-31-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
I think the answer is all those big cats living in the swamps. Everytime someone builds a house, the big cats come out and eat them.
That's not cats. It's the Jersey Devil.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:29 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
That's not cats. It's the Jersey Devil.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia