Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 01:05 PM

28 posts, read 84,616 times

Advertisements

Funny. My wife's mom was up from VA a few weeks ago, and made the comment that "clothes shopping must be easy up here... everyone just wears Phillies and Eagles stuff." I think we are little excessive up here, actually. Now excuse me while I go wash my Rollins jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 01:57 PM

11 posts, read 29,409 times
I don't mind the sports jerseys.....what's with people wearing pajama bottom's like they are outside clothing?

Old 05-04-2011, 03:18 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,881,322 times
Not sure what you're talking about.... every region of the country is like this, whether professional or college sports. And in case we're a little excessive here, good. There are no fans like Philly fans.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:42 PM

398 posts, read 733,446 times
Um, no. In Northern Virginia people don't go around wearing Redskins, Nationals, Capitals, and Wizards apparel. Maybe at a sports bar on a game day, or occasionally. I was in Chicago recently, and you don't see people wearing Cubs hats all over the place. People around here really wear Phillies and Eagles (and to a lesser extent Flyers) stuff way too often. In the Philly area it's almost like a uniform or something.

Wear the sports team stuff if you want. I really don't care what you wear. It might seem normal from a Philadelphia perspective, but for someone from outside the area, it's tacky. The only time it affects me is as a parent. I don't want my kid exposed to mindless sports team worship. People around here would rather watch the Phillies game than talk about something meaningful, like politics or literature.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:19 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,356,474 times
Of those teams you mentioned in DC, the Capitals are the only team that's actually good, but hockey in general is not as popular nationwide as football and baseball. Football is king in most towns (the Eagles were king in Philly until the Phillies won the WS), and if the Redskins were any good, I bet you'd see a lot more Redskins apparel.

I live in Baltimore now and I see people wearing Ravens stuff everywhere I go. Not clothes, but I think 75% of the cars I drive by on the road have a Ravens sticker on the back. That's a way higher percentage than in Philly.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:23 PM

Big difference between a bumper sticker on your car and wearing team apparel every single day. There are people in this area who seriously wear a Phillies t-shirt AND cap every single day of the week.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:46 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,172,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
but for someone from outside the area, it's tacky.
And for someone inside the area it is douchy to think this.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:13 PM

I'm in College Park, MD and I see people wearing Redskins, Nationals, Capitals, and Wizards apparel constantly. Maybe it's because I'm near a college campus, but you're making vast generalizations.

Edit: Okay, let's be honest, not the Wizards.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:15 PM

Cool, well you can keep your Phillies hats along with your potholed, litter-strewn roads and your outrageously sky-high real estate taxes. I don't see anything "douchy" about not wearing the SAME THING every day. Seriously. It's effing weird. All my friends and family from outside the area, who come here to visit, feel the same. "Why does everyone wear those Phillies and Eagles shirts all the time?" Look, they may be good teams, but they are just sports teams. You don't need to build your entire existence around them. It is NOT a religion. There's a lot more to life.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:30 PM

Well, your opinion is your opinion. I'm sure the people of Arlington just love to discuss literature. And no, there's no litter on roads anywhere near my hometown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia