Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 05:52 AM

584 posts, read 1,425,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
I was just curious why that is the case.
My thought is that there are certain cities/areas that internalize being a fan of their team(s) as being a big part of their identity. When their team loses, they feel the loss. However, when their team wins - they're elated as if they actually won something personally. Identifying with other fans (at games, tailgating, etc) builds a sense of camaraderie. Philly is one of these areas. When the Eagles lose a big game - people are depressed the next day. When the Phillies won the World series, the city + metro area was ecstatic for months...probably more. Maybe it has roots in towns that are typically blue-collar. Folks have to work hard (physically) all week, at the end of the day they want to kick up their feet and get some joy out of their local sports team and forget about their job, bills, etc. When I think of other football teams with hardcore fans, I think of Pittsburgh, Chicago, Packers, and Cleveland (even though they haven't been so great).

Now a question to you Northbound - why are you concerned with how people dress? It seems to be a fairly shallow observation. Plus, when I was in grad school - I don't think I had the extra time to think about anything other than my studies, let alone ponder the wardrobe of the citizens around me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 06:52 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
As was said multiple times, the answer to your question is that there are some other cities where people wear just as much sports clothing as they do in Philly. As far as all the other cities that don't, as soug said, it's because Philly fans are the best in the country. Yes, sports are important to people here, but that doesn't make them classless.

At least that GQ list took out some of the stuff it blatantly made up when it first published that article. I believe Ed Rendell even sent a letter to the editor criticizing them. Is the player that the fans booed that "helped the Phillies win a World Series title" Adam Eaton? If so, he didn't help anything.

Looking through the rest of the list, I forgot about how Montreal fans booed the U.S. National Anthem; I believe they did this when they played the Flyers too. But alas, Montreal is the classiest city in North America.
i think lidge was the player the fans booed. and beating a kid to death in the parking lot, also a phillies fan...doesn't score points for best fans in the country.

loyal fans..yes.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:28 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
It said the player was booed while getting his ring. No way they booed Lidge. I'm like 95% sure it was Eaton, who wasn't even on the playoff roster, and was probably the worst pitcher in MLB. Even so, as bad as Lidge was in 2009, he was rarely booed.

I don't believe the beating you're referring to was about sports, just a bar fight that got out of control. No excuse for it, but that happens all over. Speaking of beatings, those "classy" LA residents did beat that guy from SF into a coma basically because he was a Giants fan...

Old 05-06-2011, 08:29 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
What does it say about a person who calls people tacky and low class and then can't figure out why people get defensive? Clearly not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:22 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times
Quote:
It said the player was booed while getting his ring. No way they booed Lidge. I'm like 95% sure it was Eaton, who wasn't even on the playoff roster, and was probably the worst pitcher in MLB. Even so, as bad as Lidge was in 2009, he was rarely booed.

I don't believe the beating you're referring to was about sports, just a bar fight that got out of control. No excuse for it, but that happens all over. Speaking of beatings, those "classy" LA residents did beat that guy from SF into a coma basically because he was a Giants fan...
well - you might be right about eaton. but i know i've seen games where lidge was booed. yankee fans boo some of their players too - so no biggie.

the beating was in the bar at the game. it started as an argument and carried out into the parking lot. every team has bad fans, no doubt, but having grown up in northeast PA and living in a split world between ny and philly fans my experiences with philly fans on the majority is pretty horrible. there are some great fans though, no doubt. but many take their passion a little too far. a friend of mine that is a huge philly sports fan is a phillies season ticket holder and eagles season ticket holder. he WILL NOT take his kids to an eagles game. and don't forget the guy who intentionally vomited on the 9 year old girl sitting in front of him because she and he dad were opposing team fans. yet...some kid in the upper deck "spitting on" cliff lee's wife is major news...kinda funny.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:33 AM

398 posts, read 733,113 times
Well, if you are going to be tacky and low class on purpose by wearing Phillies shirts every day, why would you get defensive about it? It doesn't make sense to me. Just admit to being tacky and low class, and continue wearing your Phillies shirts. Nobody can say with a straight face that wearing the same ugly red shirt with a big deformed "P" on it every day is a classy thing to do. Just admit to being tacky, and move on. Problem solved. No need to get offended.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:04 AM

584 posts, read 1,425,614 times
Quote:
Nobody can say with a straight face that wearing the same ugly red shirt with a big deformed "P" on it every day is a classy thing to do. .
Thanks for the fashion insight of the day, Tim Gunn.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:09 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:

I'd be more inclined to think that it was someone from the 1980 team. Pete Rose was on that team & a lot of people did not like him.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:18 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
Quote:
Well, if you are going to be tacky and low class on purpose by wearing Phillies shirts every day, why would you get defensive about it? It doesn't make sense to me. Just admit to being tacky and low class, and continue wearing your Phillies shirts. Nobody can say with a straight face that wearing the same ugly red shirt with a big deformed "P" on it every day is a classy thing to do. Just admit to being tacky, and move on. Problem solved. No need to get offended.
So, if I'm sitting around with my friends at a cafe discussing Voltaire while snacking on a charcuterie platter and sipping a glass of Commanderie du Bontemps while wearing a Phillies shirt, I'm tacky and low class?

You know what else is tacky and low class? Sweeping generalizations of people based on nothing more than their outward appearance. So glad, they'll be one less pseudo intellectual around in another year or so. Just some advice though, if you do move to Montreal to be with all the other classy people, make sure you buy a Habs jersey so you can fit in.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:45 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
well - you might be right about eaton. but i know i've seen games where lidge was booed. yankee fans boo some of their players too - so no biggie.

the beating was in the bar at the game. it started as an argument and carried out into the parking lot. every team has bad fans, no doubt, but having grown up in northeast PA and living in a split world between ny and philly fans my experiences with philly fans on the majority is pretty horrible. there are some great fans though, no doubt. but many take their passion a little too far. a friend of mine that is a huge philly sports fan is a phillies season ticket holder and eagles season ticket holder. he WILL NOT take his kids to an eagles game. and don't forget the guy who intentionally vomited on the 9 year old girl sitting in front of him because she and he dad were opposing team fans. yet...some kid in the upper deck "spitting on" cliff lee's wife is major news...kinda funny.
Any time a Philly fan does something that can be remotely construed as negative it is major news in the media. Did you hear they were cheering the death of an old man on Sunday? (sarcasm, I think that was the first time the media has actually praised Philly fans). The vomit incident was certainly not a good one, but there's definitely been worse in other cities:

-Almost an entire Cleveland Browns stadium throwing beer bottles onto the field (read: not just one crazy fan, but thousands of them)

-Cubs fan dumping a beer on Shane Victorino while attempting to make a catch (and still making it, BTW)

-White Sox fans attacking a Royals first base coach

-the aforementioned Dodgers fans beating the Giants fan into a coma

But Philly fans are the scum of the earth, and I guess now they are also tacky and low-class
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia