Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 07:41 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The gist of this seems to be "you guys aren't the norm and you should be ashamed of it". I always thought we were unique here in SJ but I think it's a good thing. It's fun to root for teams in an area where people are really into them. Come down to one of our local bars and watch a game with us when the playoffs start (of course we'll be in ) or an Eagles game one winter Sunday, and you'll see the most passionate fans around... and I'm proud to be one of them.
Precisely! Here are people who have no plans to stay, happily pointing a finger at locals & mocking them. They are welcome to their opinions, but we are all welcome to ours as well, & in my opinion for someone to come to get a free ride & then mock the locals takes an awful lot of crust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 09:23 PM

120 posts, read 289,396 times
Well Northbound maybe if you came from an area where people love sports instead of a area where there is a lot of hot air , the people in that area would wear some team colors, what do they wear where you are from, a 3 piece suit??

Old 05-12-2011, 05:11 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,886,219 times
mods please lock this thread. Its turned into a bitchfest..

Old 05-12-2011, 08:39 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I have to second that, I've never had a bad experience in Montreal. I think a lot of people assume they hate Americans, but that really isn't the case. Same thing for France, many people assume they are anti-American, but they are not. The only caveat would be that you do need to assimilate yourself a bit to their culture while you're there. Even making an attempt to speak French can take you a long way. How many Americans would be receptive to a French person walking up to them in say Philadelphia and asking for directions in French, my guess is not too many.
that entire perception that anyone hates americans is projected by people who travel and think that the world revolves around themselves. when i've travelled through europe and attempted to ask questions in the country's language, i immediately get responses in english. foriegners can't wait to practice their english on us! the only issue i had was when i was in prague, a guy on the train who was from belgium said americans are stupid, ignorant, and obnoxious. granted, the group of people i was with was being a bit loud on the train - so he was sort of correct in that instance. but still...he was not very nice to us.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:02 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,707,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
that entire perception that anyone hates americans is projected by people who travel and think that the world revolves around themselves. when i've travelled through europe and attempted to ask questions in the country's language, i immediately get responses in english. foriegners can't wait to practice their english on us! the only issue i had was when i was in prague, a guy on the train who was from belgium said americans are stupid, ignorant, and obnoxious. granted, the group of people i was with was being a bit loud on the train - so he was sort of correct in that instance. but still...he was not very nice to us.
I've been all over Western Europe; UK, France, Germany, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Spain and Poland. The only time I ran into any issues with a local was in of all places Bern, Switzerland. A group of people (pretty drunk) at a cafe started to heckle us as we went into our hotel talking about how the rude, onoxious Americans were here and telling us to go home. The only reason I knew they were actually Swiss is that they were yelling half in English and half in Swiss German (aka Schweizer sheiBe deutch). So much for Swiss neutrality, lol.

Later on I found out that most Europeans, particularly Germans, don't like the Swiss anyway so their reaction was really just an inferiority complex.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:31 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,886,219 times
MODS PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAYYY off topic

Old 05-12-2011, 07:40 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,350,079 times
Do the mods even check the SJ forum?

Old 05-12-2011, 08:49 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,879,521 times
Who cares if it's offtopic. It's become a better thread as a result.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:11 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,350,079 times
Haha, well since we're talking about our experiences with Montreal, I guess I'll throw mine in. I was only there once, when I was 19, mainly to take advantage of the non-21 drinking age. From what I remember (not a whole lot since it was quite a few years ago and I was slightly intoxicated during most of my time there), I don't really remember the people there being particularly rude or anything like that, but they did seem to enjoy pointing out that we were American (often times before we even said a word).

Old 05-12-2011, 09:17 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,879,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
but they did seem to enjoy pointing out that we were American (often times before we even said a word).
When I went to India six years ago, people immediately knew and would point out that I was American. Yet, back here at home I'm Indian. So which one am I?! Modern day identity crisis right there, it should be made into a movie.

Edit: actually, I just remembered that's exactly what The Namesake is about so nvm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia