Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 09:23 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
MODS PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAYYY off topic
Is someone making you read this thread? Just stay out if you don't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 09:36 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
When I went to India six years ago, people immediately knew and would point out that I was American. Yet, back here at home I'm Indian. So which one am I?! Modern day identity crisis right there, it should be made into a movie.

Edit: actually, I just remembered that's exactly what The Namesake is about so nvm.
Haha that's kinda what people have been saying about Donovan McNabb recently (does that count as being back on topic?). Bernard Hopkins says he's not black enough, but Rush Limbaugh said he got preferential treatment because he was black...

Old 05-12-2011, 10:01 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,879,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Haha that's kinda what people have been saying about Donovan McNabb recently (does that count as being back on topic?). Bernard Hopkins says he's not black enough, but Rush Limbaugh said he got preferential treatment because he was black...
Very true. McNabb is actually still pretty involved in the area. If I recall correctly, he donated to the new hospital in Voorhees, and I think the neonatal center will be named after him/his family. So to the people in this thread who were trashing athletes, just remember that they care about our community too. Possibly for egotistical reasons (like getting your name in the hospital), but hey, greed is good.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:34 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
Quote:
Do the mods even check the SJ forum?
I don't think I've ever seen a mod in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Who cares if it's offtopic. It's become a better thread as a result.
Heck, I haven't seen this much activity in the SJ forum for awhile. Always talking about schools and which town is better, can get boring. Folks who are regular posters on the main NJ board have even seemed to gravitate over for this one.

Quote:
but they did seem to enjoy pointing out that we were American (often times before we even said a word).
They look for jeans, sneakers and baseball hats. My friends in Europe also enjoy playing "spot the American" and the aforementioned attire is usually what they look for.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:30 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a mod in here.

Heck, I haven't seen this much activity in the SJ forum for awhile. Always talking about schools and which town is better, can get boring. Folks who are regular posters on the main NJ board have even seemed to gravitate over for this one.

They look for jeans, sneakers and baseball hats. My friends in Europe also enjoy playing "spot the American" and the aforementioned attire is usually what they look for.
We do have an assigned moderator who also has other boards. I don't think that the thread is off topic, technically. The OP introduced Montreal as the standard that South Jersey residents should hold themselves to. That pretty much opens up the topic to non US comparisons.

There are Germans, particularly in what was West Germany, who have been so exposed to US American culture for over a generation that they are indistinguishable on the streets. In the Eifel, near Bitburg & Trier, you can buy baseball caps for the US teams, & they are taught North American English rather than British English during their 8 years of mandatory English instruction.

During 2 trips to that area (One of my grandfathers came from the area.) I was consistantly mistaken for being a local (in my unfashionable South Jersey attire.)

Old 05-13-2011, 01:57 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
We do have an assigned moderator who also has other boards. I don't think that the thread is off topic, technically. The OP introduced Montreal as the standard that South Jersey residents should hold themselves to. That pretty much opens up the topic to non US comparisons.

There are Germans, particularly in what was West Germany, who have been so exposed to US American culture for over a generation that they are indistinguishable on the streets. In the Eifel, near Bitburg & Trier, you can buy baseball caps for the US teams, & they are taught North American English rather than British English during their 8 years of mandatory English instruction.

During 2 trips to that area (One of my grandfathers came from the area.) I was consistantly mistaken for being a local (in my unfashionable South Jersey attire.)
lol, how amazing that we both have spent time in the Eifel region. I first went there in high school and have been back several times since to visit friends. Most of my friends are originally from Julich, which lies between Cologne and Aachen, about 50-60 miles north of Trier. Most of them now live in Bonn and Hamburg. You are right that the entire area there is rather Americanized do to the large influence of various NATO installations.

My friends schools taught British English in the younger years and then introduced American English and studies in the later years. I have to say I didn't see too many ball caps other than the ubiquitous Yankees while I was there, but this was in the late 90's through early and mid-00's.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:43 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
lol, how amazing that we both have spent time in the Eifel region. I first went there in high school and have been back several times since to visit friends. Most of my friends are originally from Julich, which lies between Cologne and Aachen, about 50-60 miles north of Trier. Most of them now live in Bonn and Hamburg. You are right that the entire area there is rather Americanized do to the large influence of various NATO installations.

My friends schools taught British English in the younger years and then introduced American English and studies in the later years. I have to say I didn't see too many ball caps other than the ubiquitous Yankees while I was there, but this was in the late 90's through early and mid-00's.
LOL, yes,the Yankees caps predominate, but in the Sued Eifel, they are all there. I was there in '95 & '97 & I wandered around the area in my jeans, tshirts/sweatshirts. denim jacket, & sneakers & absolutely nothing anout that looked one iota different than the natives.

In the Sued Eifel they have mastered American casual, thanks to the American bases. I also saw plenty of American baseball & football tshirts as well.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:35 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
Germans are so tacky

Old 05-14-2011, 07:49 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,075,798 times
I know exactly what the OP means. It's seems really over the top immature to see adults wearing silly team shirts, caps, jackets etc. The Philadelphia fans are especially obnoxious.

These are just games after all and the players never live up to the big salaries they make. It's downright embarrassing to see fans drape themselves in team colors and work themselves into a lather. It's equally embarrassing to see a player dance around and act like a jerk when all they've done is accomplish what they get paid to do.

I've seen better team spirit, more dignity and sometimes more talent at a little league game.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:20 AM

398 posts, read 733,113 times
And I would never fault someone for wearing a t-shirt from his son's little league team.

It's the mindless worship of corporate "sports" that drives me nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia