Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 10:50 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,065,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
go to hunter mountain on a saturday or sunday. i'd say a good 40% of the mountain is people skiing in a ny giants or jets "ski" jacket. it's like that all over the country where there is strong fanbases.
Well, in South Jersey (if they had mountains), it would be 90%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
So, if I'm sitting around with my friends at a cafe discussing Voltaire while snacking on a charcuterie platter and sipping a glass of Commanderie du Bontemps while wearing a Phillies shirt, I'm tacky and low class?

You know what else is tacky and low class? Sweeping generalizations of people based on nothing more than their outward appearance. So glad, they'll be one less pseudo intellectual around in another year or so. Just some advice though, if you do move to Montreal to be with all the other classy people, make sure you buy a Habs jersey so you can fit in.
I haven't read every post, but Canadians wear a lot of sports clothes too.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:57 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
im a big time snob and i think supporting sports teams in general is tacky and classless. why would you care if some group of guys throwing a ball around happens to be based on your area? why are they important to anyone but themselves and their mommies?

Old 05-06-2011, 10:58 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,707,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
I haven't read every post, but Canadians wear a lot of sports clothes too.
You gotta go back and read the thread and some of the OP's other posts to put things into context. He used the example of Montreal as a city full of classy well dressed people, hence why I mentioned it...and posted pictures of Habs fans rioting, lol.

The OP has also gotten rather defensive about Gloucester Twp. in multiple threads and advocated to others moving to the area that it was a great place to live, despite many of us advising people of it's demerits and offering other choices. To have him now coming on here and trashing his town and the area in general was rather surprising.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im a big time snob and i think supporting sports teams in general is tacky and classless. why would you care if some group of guys throwing a ball around happens to be based on your area? why are they important to anyone but themselves and their mommies?
I always think that the actual players must laugh when they see people wearing their jerseys. I know a pro football player and he doesn't have his team's stuff on his car and his wife wouldn't be caught dead in any gear.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:15 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
Well, if you are going to be tacky and low class on purpose by wearing Phillies shirts every day, why would you get defensive about it? It doesn't make sense to me. Just admit to being tacky and low class, and continue wearing your Phillies shirts. Nobody can say with a straight face that wearing the same ugly red shirt with a big deformed "P" on it every day is a classy thing to do. Just admit to being tacky, and move on. Problem solved. No need to get offended.
You seem like a pretty angry person. Perhaps you could do with less discussion about politics and literature and a little more about sports.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:59 AM

398 posts, read 733,194 times
NJGOAT - unless you have been to Montreal, you don't know what you're talking about. They do not wear sports gear everywhere they go incessantly like people in SJ. A few internet photos of people rioting after a game do not prove your point. And as for the MINORITY of Montrealers, New Yorkers, Washingtonians, etc. who DO wear sports gear all the time - they are almost as tacky as the ones in SJ, except here it's even tackier because it's not only lame to wear, but they are also copying each other and lack any originality.

I am going to start taking photos around town and post them on here to show people just how much Phillies gear is worn by the locals.

Sports teams suck. Why would you support a team, unless your kid is on it? It's dumb. Woo, this guy was able to chew tobacco and catch a friggin ball. Big deal. Go learn something so you can make enough money to partake in exciting sports like skiing or canoeing. Or go play baseball. Watching it is lame, in my opinion.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:11 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
I always think that the actual players must laugh when they see people wearing their jerseys. I know a pro football player and he doesn't have his team's stuff on his car and his wife wouldn't be caught dead in any gear.
i think of my mom's boyfriend when i am on this topic. the guy is a mets fan and if they lose, it basically makes him miserable for the day. why would a bunch of rich guys losing a game be worth your misery? its so silly. in order for me to have an interest in team sports i need to make a bet on the game.

i watch mma fighting and i dont particularly care who wins any fight. i just want an entertaining fight with some brains being bashed in or the life being choked out of someone.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:57 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,350,079 times
Quote:
Well I hope his wife realizes that the fans buying those jerseys are the reason she (most likely) has a pretty nice life. Professional athletes make ungodly amounts of money because there are a lot of people out there willing to spend thousands of dollars on season tickets and team-related paraphernalia. But I guess all those people are tacky and classless.

Sports are a form of entertainment. Some people watch Fox News, some listen to music, some read books, some go to the movies, some go to museums and art exhibits, and some watch sports. And gasp, some actually do a combination of those things. Is spending $1000 on tickets to World Series Game 5 Part 2 any "lamer" than spending $1000 on tickets to Pearl Jam's last concert at the Spectrum? Maybe I should tell all the people that go to concerts to stay home and learn to play their own instruments. That's why people pay to see professional athletes and musicians. They have talent that most of us regular folk don't (not including Northbound though since he's obviously better than us). As if watching a game for a couple hours means you're not allowed to play baseball yourself anyway.

In addition, the fans actually can play a role in the outcome of the games, as several members of the 2008 Phillies team have attested to. I think the way the current Phillies team has appreciated and related to the fans of the city has caused the fans to become even more attached. Former Phillie Pat Burrell even took out a full-page ad in the newspapers thanking the fans, after he was no longer on the team.

Last edited by GoPhils; 05-06-2011 at 02:10 PM..

Old 05-06-2011, 12:58 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,879,521 times
There's a lot more to sports than people "catching a ball." For a lot of people, it's an emotional and historical connection. For one thing, it unites the community much more than any politics ever could. Second, many people like teams because their parents and especially grandparents did. And as for the people saying the players are just "rich people who don't care about you," I'll just say that a lot of times they are your neighbors. Dawkins used to live next door to one of my friends. You see Flyers players everywhere in Voorhees because of the Skate Zone. Hell, Laviolette's son goes to school with my brother. They are just as much a part of the community as everyone else. They aren't necessarily just some mythical people you see on tv.

Northbound, I'm sorry you can't connect with sports, but you should respect the fact that others do. It's not fair to insult people when you can't understand their perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia