Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 06:54 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,879,181 times

Advertisements

Also, to be honest, I just disagree with your claim and the premise of this thread. I don't think people in South Jersey wear sports jerseys more than other places, at least from my experience here in the DMV. Maybe if you're talking about the Washington Township area, where a lot of people have origins in South Philly, I can agree with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 07:03 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,384,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
Um, no. In Northern Virginia people don't go around wearing Redskins, Nationals, Capitals, and Wizards apparel.
That's because most people in Northern VA aren't from the area. You see tons of VA Tech and Penn State shirts though.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:59 PM

398 posts, read 733,113 times
Yes, I am talking about Gloucester Township and Washington Township. These people wear sports apparel constantly. You're right, most of the people in these areas come from South Philly (or their parents did). I don't see it as much in places like Mt Laurel or Marlton.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:49 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,879,181 times
Ahh, then I agree with you (not about it being tacky, just it being an unusually high level). It's kind of weird, a ton of people at my work live in Glendora, Township, Williamstown, etc. They all have origins in South Philly and all went to Penn State. I guess it makes sense, since I work in South Philly. The real world is all about connections.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:50 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
Quote:
Big difference between a bumper sticker on your car and wearing team apparel every single day. There are people in this area who seriously wear a Phillies t-shirt AND cap every single day of the week.
I see people that wear Ravens stuff almost every single day too. And a bumper sticker is basically apparel for your car, and it's on there every day. Just pointing out that people in Baltimore care just as much about sports (well pretty much just the Ravens) as people in Philly do. But just because people care about their sports teams doesn't mean they don't care about other things as well. And as I said earlier, when you have teams in each of the 4 main leagues which are actually good, it's tough not to care about at least one of them. I bet you'll see just as many Yankees or Red Sox hats in NY or Boston as you see Phillies hats in Philly.

Where were you from in Northern VA? I'm not sure what your username refers to, but if that's where you lived, anything along I-81 is over an hour (not counting traffic) to DC. Big difference between that and being basically right over the bridge in Gloucester Twp.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:55 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
Quote:
I don't see anything "douchy"
Of course you don't. That's like expecting an a hole to realize they are an a hole. They probably don't see it that way at all.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:59 AM

398 posts, read 733,113 times
I was a stone's throw from D.C.... the Nationals caps became sort of popular when the team first came to town but fizzled out after a while. Oh, the areas out on I-81 like Winchester aren't even considered "Northern Virginia" despite being just as northern (or even more so) than Fairfax, Arlington, etc. in geography.

You have to admit, while Baltimore, NYC, and Boston people love their teams, Philadelphians/SJ residents take it to another level. My HVAC guy, every time he comes to service my air conditioner, is ALWAYS wearing either a Phillies or Eagles logo. Again, I'm not hating on it, I just wish people would keep it more to game day and the day before or after a game, not an everyday thing, but whatever...

Old 05-05-2011, 06:00 AM

584 posts, read 1,425,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
That's because most people in Northern VA aren't from the area. You see tons of VA Tech and Penn State shirts though.
Exactly! NOVA is filled with transplants. Folks don't necessarily have a sense of hometown pride or identification with the area (or sports teams). When I lived there, I think in I met about a dozen people who were actually born and raised in the area. Most of the folks were like me and had moved there to attend school for a number of years or work in gov't. It was much more common to go to a sports bar and see people wearing the opposing teams jersey than the home teams. That said, NOVA is a great place to live (barring the ridiculous traffic)

Old 05-05-2011, 06:01 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Not me.

I generally wear my Speedo, a tube top and pumps.

You'll be happy to know that they have NO team affiliation on them!

Old 05-05-2011, 06:05 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
Quote:
I was a stone's throw from D.C.... the Nationals caps became sort of popular when the team first came to town but fizzled out after a while. Oh, the areas out on I-81 like Winchester aren't even considered "Northern Virginia" despite being just as northern (or even more so) than Fairfax, Arlington, etc. in geography.

You have to admit, while Baltimore, NYC, and Boston people love their teams, Philadelphians/SJ residents take it to another level. My HVAC guy, every time he comes to service my air conditioner, is ALWAYS wearing either a Phillies or Eagles logo. Again, I'm not hating on it, I just wish people would keep it more to game day and the day before or after a game, not an everyday thing, but whatever...
I dunno, I think NY, Boston and maybe even Baltimore are pretty similar in that regard to Philly. Outside of those cities you might have a point.

Of course the Nats hats fizzled, their team is awful. But even so, if you were in that area last year you'd know that everyone was going crazy for Strasburg-mania last year. I think his first start was as big of an event as Obama's inauguration (sarcasm, but it was a pretty big deal).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia