Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:24 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,884,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Not me.

I generally wear my Speedo, a tube top and pumps.

You'll be happy to know that they have NO team affiliation on them!
That is NOT a good visual..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 09:34 AM

398 posts, read 733,113 times
Ouch. PLEASE - hurry up and put on the Phillies shirt.
And pants.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:45 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
Cool, well you can keep your Phillies hats along with your potholed, litter-strewn roads and your outrageously sky-high real estate taxes. I don't see anything "douchy" about not wearing the SAME THING every day. Seriously. It's effing weird. All my friends and family from outside the area, who come here to visit, feel the same. "Why does everyone wear those Phillies and Eagles shirts all the time?" Look, they may be good teams, but they are just sports teams. You don't need to build your entire existence around them. It is NOT a religion. There's a lot more to life.
If you have such an issue with the area and its customs, then move.

In the name of the Eagles, Phillies and Flyers.

Amen.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:49 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
Quote:
People around here would rather watch the Phillies game than talk about something meaningful, like politics or literature.
Wait, wait, wait, wait...you want to talk about politics and literature...and you moved to Gloucester Twp. I'd be hunting down that real estate agent if I were you.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:59 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Cool, well you can keep your Phillies hats along with your potholed, litter-strewn roads and your outrageously sky-high real estate taxes. I don't see anything "douchy" about not wearing the SAME THING every day. Seriously. It's effing weird. All my friends and family from outside the area, who come here to visit, feel the same. "Why does everyone wear those Phillies and Eagles shirts all the time?" Look, they may be good teams, but they are just sports teams. You don't need to build your entire existence around them. It is NOT a religion. There's a lot more to life.
Philly fans stuck with the teams for decades, when the teams were in the toilet. They wore the shirts & caps then. The feeling was, good or bad, this is our team.

The only team merchandise that is tacky is those mesh 76ers tank tops.

Tshirts & caps are not tacky or weird. No one is making you wear it. Lighten up.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:07 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Yes, it's like that all over South Jersey (and PA). And yes, it's like that in other places as well...like templeu said, especially in places that have a team in all of the 4 leagues and most of which are actually good.

I will say though that the amount of Phillies apparel has definitely grown exponentionally since 2007. Of course there are some fairweather fans, but IMO most people were already fans, but once the Phils actually became good it actually made people proud to be Phillies fans (and thus wear the clothes around), especially when they were finally able to break Philly's long championship drought.
i suspect you don't apply this same logic to all the people that wear yankee items.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
My God, people are actually sports fans and wear things to show their support? Not in the Philly metro area.

Serisouly though, I can agree to an extent that some take it too far. I've seen people in church, nice restaurants, school events, town meetings, etc. wearing their sports gear and it does give off a bit of a low class vibe. However, I don't see anything wrong with someone wearing it at the park, around their house, going shopping or out to a bar.

So, while I can agree that some people take it too far when they wear their team merchandise everywhere regardless of the occasion, the cited example really isn't a big deal and quite common all over the place.
isn't it a bit humorous that a $180 jersey or a $30 fitted cap can come off as "low class"?

as for other apparal...t-shirts are t-shirts...what difference does it make if it has a sports logo on it, or a guy sitting on a horse playing polo? either way - it's a t-shirt.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:25 AM

155 posts, read 372,218 times
If someone is wearing a baseball hat, 95% of the time it is going to be a sports team logo of some kind.
Why doesn't it make sense that it is going to be a local team?

If everyone was walking around your area with baseball hats and jerseys representing all the teams in MLB, would that still be tacky? Or is it tacky that so much of it is Philly related?

Doesn't make sense. People wearing hats are ubiquitous in this country.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Um, no. In Northern Virginia people don't go around wearing Redskins, Nationals, Capitals, and Wizards apparel. Maybe at a sports bar on a game day, or occasionally. I was in Chicago recently, and you don't see people wearing Cubs hats all over the place. People around here really wear Phillies and Eagles (and to a lesser extent Flyers) stuff way too often. In the Philly area it's almost like a uniform or something.

Wear the sports team stuff if you want. I really don't care what you wear. It might seem normal from a Philadelphia perspective, but for someone from outside the area, it's tacky. The only time it affects me is as a parent. I don't want my kid exposed to mindless sports team worship. People around here would rather watch the Phillies game than talk about something meaningful, like politics or literature.
during football season in and around d.c., i've seen numerous people wearing redskins apparel. as for the wizards...does anyone attend their games?

hockey apparel in general isn't as common in most areas. but nationals are gaining popularity also. that will surely increase.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
so what do people in your area that you love dearly wear on a day-to-day basis? not that i believe for one second that ANYONE where you are now where a sports t-shirt AND cap everyday. cap, maybe. but i'm not buying into the statement on both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia