Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 11:25 AM

6 posts, read 10,754 times

Advertisements

To add to my misery, the single family homes will be done in August 2014, which means rate will be 5.25 - 5.50 as Fed will start tapering by March. Just sending the "feeler" out to taper made the rates jump from 3.5 to 4.5, and currently are at 4.0 at 30yr fix.

Waiting till August is a huge gamble on rates. I think I'm basically searching for a new or <10yr old home in a good school district/good area for 500k that I can close in 2 - 3 months so I can take advantage of this 4.0 or max 4.25 rate...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 11:58 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,014,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalaq View Post
antztein,

My resistance to buying in Summerfields, Somerset now is basically boiling down to the school system as its rated very poorly. We plan have kids soon, there's a lot of uncertainty and great level of gambling involved in stating that 600 new residents (all professionals I agree), can drive up the school system by 5 - 10 yrs.

Why would a 50yr old house in Edison cost 500k, which looks like a dump to say the least be costing that much as oppose to these 500k brand new homes. Sounds a little too good to be true right...and when that happens, it never really is too good to be true. This is the predicament I'm in as I've never bothered to look at Somerset for this reason and this reason only, despite not having kids.

My choices were always Edison, Colonia, Clark, Scotch Plains but, again, this is where I get stuck with the 50yr old dumps at 500k

Tough choices ahead for us...sleepless nights continue.

- Bij
Don't get caught overpaying for the "good school district" i.e 50 yr old dumps for 500k.

If you are ready to move to Summerfields than you have accepted a kid feeding into the Franklin/Somerset school district. Then why not find a home in Franklin or Franklin Park (08823) which is 10-20 years old to find something newer in your range.

While I agree, the Franklin school system is nothing to write home about as a WHOLE, there are bright kids that go there and do well. The issue with the summerfields is that the homes are being bid up becuase of the simple fact its new construction.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:03 AM

19 posts, read 41,035 times
Chalaq,

North Brunswick has good schools, and East & South Brunswick even better. Why not look into these areas?

Old 10-25-2013, 11:15 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,014,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antztein View Post
Chalaq,

North Brunswick has good schools, and East & South Brunswick even better. Why not look into these areas?
this.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:30 AM

6 posts, read 10,754 times
Guys,

I truly appreciate the valid input from all of you...
The 3 BR Atlantic at 462,900 (base price) + Upgrades could cost about 15k, roughly 480k. Isn't this price ridiculous for a 3BR, which in future, if I wanted to sell, can be a huge disaster due to the 3BR?

Buying the Bergen at 498k + 10k (premium) puts me at 508k + 15k upgrades - 523k (way over my budget), urgh!!!

This is the quandry we're both in...

And the inventory elsewhere is so pathetic that we haven't been able to find something <5-10yrs old in a good community for 500k. We also want to take advantage of the 30yr fix rate right now, which I'm quoted at 3.99.

(Just voicing my frustration and asking some guidance...)

Old 11-01-2013, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,360 times
Chalaq,

it is ridiculous to pay for a 3BR in a "not-so-okay" school district. Have you looked at DR Horton in Middletown ?

Old 11-02-2013, 04:26 PM

283 posts, read 667,305 times
Just received meeting notice by postal mail from Association Advisors, the property management company for Summerfields:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Summerfields at Franklin-Meeting Notice
Open meeting
Tuesday, November 19, 2013, 7.00 pm
Location: Holiday Inn, 195 Davidson Avenue, Somerset NJ 08873
Ph: 1-732-584-4613

All Homeowners are encouraged to attend this open meeting
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yogesh Upadhyaya

Old 11-02-2013, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,770 times
Anyone has the same issue: I am very curious as to whether any of you experience water leak/wet in the basement?

Old 11-05-2013, 12:27 PM

62 posts, read 147,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalaq View Post
Guys,

I truly appreciate the valid input from all of you...
The 3 BR Atlantic at 462,900 (base price) + Upgrades could cost about 15k, roughly 480k. Isn't this price ridiculous for a 3BR, which in future, if I wanted to sell, can be a huge disaster due to the 3BR?

Buying the Bergen at 498k + 10k (premium) puts me at 508k + 15k upgrades - 523k (way over my budget), urgh!!!

This is the quandry we're both in...

And the inventory elsewhere is so pathetic that we haven't been able to find something <5-10yrs old in a good community for 500k. We also want to take advantage of the 30yr fix rate right now, which I'm quoted at 3.99.

(Just voicing my frustration and asking some guidance...)
When it comes to single family 4 bd is way to go if you can afford it, sells quicker and drops the price per sq ft significantly. Bigger the house cheaper the price per.sq ft. personally i am not big on schools until kids reach 5-6 grade and that is a good 10 yrs away. by such time who knows what the ratings will be and where your future will take you. If the current rating is not great, there is no where else to go but UP. Just dont know how quick it will go up.

Townhomes are priced well .. in future you can even rent town home out and break even on your mortgage...

Old 11-13-2013, 03:50 PM

9 posts, read 16,654 times
Does anybody know if the builder will be installing trees on the North side (for the houses near water treatment plant) ...this should help reduce noise from treatment plant and also gives some privacy between Single Family Homes and future condos...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey