Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 02:14 PM

283 posts, read 667,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mame2013 View Post
Is it a good idea to install the attic fan? Is there any concern ie: maintain and repair, water getting inside, insect getting stuck?
Mame2013:

Since the homes are well designed, energy efficient and HVAC system works as required by design, there is no advantage of installing attic fan.
Yogesh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsingh View Post
We live in summerfields, and experienced NO FLOODING, or exterior damage. We did lose power from Monday night to today.
There was no damage to our home (or to other homes in neighbourhoods) either in basement or from outside. Hurricane Sandy had wind speed generally from 40-60 miles/hr and gust speed of 85-115 miles/hr. The roof is designed for 125 miles/hr and home sidewalls for 150 miles/hr as required by building codes. The homes are well-designed as per code.

Other day Peter (building maintenance supervisor) informed me in my basement that basement floor and concrete wall have complete sealing at the joints and builder provide 10 yrs warranty for any leaks.

Yogesh

Old 10-31-2012, 05:31 PM

Receiving mails at Summerfields:

I moved in at Summerfields six weeks ago, but did not receive any postal mail. I contacted Abby at builder's office and she told me that I need to have mail-post in front of my home to receivd mail. The postman will not deliver mail without mail-post at the curb, since this is considered as rural circuit (in other town, postman will climb steps and deliver mail in your letter-box).

She added that builder provides mail-post to each resident, which is part of contract. They have ordered mail-posts (mailboxes) and will have to install by pouring concrete for the foundation at the curbside of each home. She expects the work to be completed by mid-November, and then we can get delivery of letters. She also advised against buying and installing our own mail-box, as it is part of the contract with the builder.

Our postoffice is located at 500 Demott Lane, Somerset, NJ 08873 (in front of Franklin township municipal building). I visited the post office and ollected my mails of past several weeks (luckily this post-office holds the mail for us and do not return to the senders). The postal clerk I met, lives on Boudinot Lane in our comlex.

I got advice that we need to constantly remind Abby and Shelly (of builder's office) to have post installed for our home. Currently mail boxes are installed for most of the Hopkinson lane residents and few of the Boudinot lane residents.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:18 PM

16 posts, read 28,810 times
Thanks Yogesh, as always. I just gained my power back today. Hope all is well in the Summerfield neighborhood.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:04 AM

To: Mame 2013:

More about Attic fan

Attic fans are mostly used for older homes to reduce the cooling load during summer time. The fans release hot air trapped in attic area and replace it with outside relatively cooler air, thereby reducing air-conditioning load.

However, attic fans are not required in modern well designed, energy-efficient homes. You must have noticed vents (called gable vents-small circles with horizontal vent openings) on the outside top part of home or garage attics provided by our builder. These gable vents naturally cool the attic by natural circulation and fans are not needed.

Although pushed by fan manufacturers and contractors, attic fans are not desired since they create noise, condensation and power consumption problem. Moreover, if there is any leakage (between joints for attic floor and home ceiling, the fan will suck cool, air-conditioned air from home into attic (thereby increasing cooling load) and throw dusty and moldy air from attic to home.

Hence attic fans should never be installed.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:08 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogesh Upadhyaya View Post
[SIZE=3]To: Mame 2013:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]More about Attic fan.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Attic fans are mostly used for older homes to reduce the cooling load during summer time. The fans release hot air trapped in attic area and replace it with outside relatively cooler air, thereby reducing air-conditioning load. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]However, attic fans are not required in modern well designed, energy-efficient homes. You must have noticed vents (called gable vents-small circles with horizontal vent openings) on the outside top part of home or garage attics provided by our builder. These gable vents naturally cool the attic by natural circulation and fans are not needed.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Although pushed by fan manufacturers and contractors, attic fans are not desired since they create noise, condensation and power consumption problem. Moreover, if there is any leakage (between joints for attic floor and home ceiling, the fan will suck cool, air-conditioned air from home into attic (thereby increasing cooling load) and throw dusty and moldy air from attic to home.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Hence attic fans should never be installed.[/SIZE]
I disagree. We installed an attic fan in our house in NJ (built in 1988-ish) and it lowered our summertime power bill by 30% and had no affect on our winter bill. The noise was minimal, there was no condensation problem, and it reduced our power consumption. Additionally we added extra insulation on the attic floor and put weatherstripping around the pull-down door to provide better insulation which kept the fan from sucking cold air out in the summer or allowing cold air in in the winter. The fan ran on a thermostat controlled switch and turned itself on and off when the temperature was above a certain level. I don't recall what it was, but if anyone wants to know I'll ask my husband who probably would.

We don't have one in our current home as we had a radiant barrier installed during construction, so our attic stays relatively cool even in the hottest summer month in Florida. We use 30% less energy than a similar sized home without the barrier. We broke even on the cost after less than three years.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 3,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTG007 View Post
Did any house in Summerfields face flooding
In basement & or any leaking or damage bcZ
Of storm.

This Sandy was good to check Summerfields home
Quality..
There is damage to some of the homes in willocks dr, roof shingles are lost and some water leaks in the 2nd floor.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:10 AM

90 posts, read 152,965 times
Does anybody know if the Atlantic model can handle a side by side or french door refrigerator considering there is a wall on the otherside of the cabinets? (See floor Plan Link Below). I am worried about the left door not opening. Any insight would be very helpful.

Thanks.

New Luxury Homes for Sale in Somerset, NJ

Old 11-05-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I disagree. We installed an attic fan in our house in NJ (built in 1988-ish) and it lowered our summertime power bill by 30% and had no affect on our winter bill. The noise was minimal, there was no condensation problem, and it reduced our power consumption. Additionally we added extra insulation on the attic floor and put weatherstripping around the pull-down door to provide better insulation which kept the fan from sucking cold air out in the summer or allowing cold air in in the winter. The fan ran on a thermostat controlled switch and turned itself on and off when the temperature was above a certain level. I don't recall what it was, but if anyone wants to know I'll ask my husband who probably would.

We don't have one in our current home as we had a radiant barrier installed during construction, so our attic stays relatively cool even in the hottest summer month in Florida. We use 30% less energy than a similar sized home without the barrier. We broke even on the cost after less than three years.
Annerk:

As I mentioned at the beginning, people install attic fans for existing home, which may provide some savings in utility cost. It may also be useful in hot Florida summer (the home you are talking about) by keeping the attic cool. However, the fan is not necessary in modern homes. All homes in Summerfields are designed as per energy-star program, the homes are well insulated and does not need attic fans. The homes already have gable vents for air circulation in the home attic and below the roof of the garage. I checked with the builder also.

I would like to know experience from someone in the Summerfields who have installed the attic fan.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpail View Post
Does anybody know if the Atlantic model can handle a side by side or french door refrigerator considering there is a wall on the otherside of the cabinets? (See floor Plan Link Below). I am worried about the left door not opening. Any insight would be very helpful.

Thanks.

New Luxury Homes for Sale in Somerset, NJ
Snowpail.

Our home is Bergen model. We asked Abby about installing fridge in the kitchen. She informed me that all models have space available for 36" wide fridge. We purchased GE stainless steel two-door fridge with 35 1/4" wide front and luckily it was a fit. We were worried as the bottom side as there is less than 36" space available due to wooden moulding (projection). (We were getting same capacity fridge with 32" width, but did not purchase it as it was $200 more).

Please measure the top and bottom dimension of the space for fridge in kitchen, and allow for at least one inch all around. The good news is that if the fridge does not fit, the company will accept the return for another model of fridge. Our fridge could come through 36" front door easily (one side of the fridge is shorter).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey