Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 11:46 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTina View Post
I think there is still a glimmer of hope left on it not closing. And rest assured, that precious Monmouth Cty. land will in no way go to waste and become a "ghost town". Does anyone know how much acreage is involved?
Absolutely-its not as if we're talking about a remote base in the middle of Idaho. Trust me, that area will still be buzzing with people, the only difference will be that they won't be wearing green and khaki. There have been a million different proposed uses. One of the big pluses is that Fort Monmouth doesn't have the massive pollution problems that places like Picatinny (munitions) and Fort Dix/Maguire (jet fuel, etc...) do. However, it's still a shame that everything is moving to Maryland. Rush Holt and Frank Pallone fought a good fight trying to keep it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 12:23 PM

222 posts, read 1,026,152 times
Quote:
I think there is still a glimmer of hope left on it not closing. And rest assured, that precious Monmouth Cty. land will in no way go to waste and become a "ghost town". Does anyone know how much acreage is involved?
Well you don't think the govt is just going to get rid of that land do you? Nah. They're just gonna close the base. So when all the military folks move out from surrounding towns, that area is gonna go thru a weird transition. Look at what happened to Edison when the Ford plant closed down. The population demographic changed overnight.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:58 PM

329 posts, read 1,442,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusher View Post
Well you don't think the govt is just going to get rid of that land do you? Nah. They're just gonna close the base. So when all the military folks move out from surrounding towns, that area is gonna go thru a weird transition. Look at what happened to Edison when the Ford plant closed down. The population demographic changed overnight.
No, I honestly don't know what happened in Edison. Kindly explain..I'm interested.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:02 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Absolutely-its not as if we're talking about a remote base in the middle of Idaho. Trust me, that area will still be buzzing with people, the only difference will be that they won't be wearing green and khaki. There have been a million different proposed uses. One of the big pluses is that Fort Monmouth doesn't have the massive pollution problems that places like Picatinny (munitions) and Fort Dix/Maguire (jet fuel, etc...) do. However, it's still a shame that everything is moving to Maryland. Rush Holt and Frank Pallone fought a good fight trying to keep it here.
Or the Gov will sell it
I think the old Military Ocean terminal in Bayonne is now where the cruise ships dock

Old 10-04-2007, 01:11 PM

Quote:
No, I honestly don't know what happened in Edison. Kindly explain..I'm interested.
I think he's referring to the influx of Asians/South Asians, but Edison was "Little India" long before the Ford plant went under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Or the Gov will sell it
I think the old Military Ocean terminal in Bayonne is now where the cruise ships dock
You bet they will-and you're right, the MOT is now one of the newest and best alternatives to cruising out of New York City. As for the comparison between Edison and Fort Monmouth-I don't think so. Edison wasn't exactly prime real estate to begin with. The property Fort Monmouth sits on is in the middle of the kind of real estate seen in newly wealthy Staten Islanders dreams! The base sits sandwiched between Rumson, Manalapan, Freehold, etc... It will be McMansion/traffic city before anyone can say "smart growth."

Old 10-04-2007, 01:25 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I think he's referring to the influx of Asians/South Asians, but Edison was "Little India" long before the Ford plant went under.

You bet they will-and you're right, the MOT is now one of the newest and best alternatives to cruising out of New York City. As for the comparison between Edison and Fort Monmouth-I don't think so. Edison wasn't exactly prime real estate to begin with. The property Fort Monmouth sits on is in the middle of the kind of real estate seen in newly wealthy Staten Islanders dreams! The base sits sandwiched between Rumson, Manalapan, Freehold, etc... It will be McMansion/traffic city before anyone can say "smart growth."

OMG...Manalapan..will the realtors disclose the attacking shopping carts in Manalapan

Kidding aside Ft Monmouth sits around some pricey real estate....the area will not slide into decline if and when the base closes

Old 10-04-2007, 01:28 PM

I can see it now-during the 80s folks in the Fort Monmouth area were worried about how many communications we were intercepting from the Russians-now they'll be worried about how many windows they have, and whether or not the guy washing them is from Westfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey