Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 03:31 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,528,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
This is just a PR stunt. Mayor Booker should focus more on how to get jobs into Newark then living on food stamps for a week. It would be more beneficial to everyone in Newark who is looking for work.
right on!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm sorry, this is crap. I know these women (and a few men), they did not choose to take low paying jobs, they have no choice, it's just the reality that w/o a degree (and increasingly, even with one), this is what most jobs are becoming today. Do you really believe if it weren't for government help, they'd all be able to go out and get $20 an hour jobs tomorrow? You think they work 8-16 hours a days wiping people's behinds and changing their diapers, hurting their backs lifting people, sometimes getting hit by those same people they are helping, because it's easier than taking a higher paying job?
but this is why you can buy a tv flat screen at Walmart for cheap!! I mean consumers want cheap stuff, and Walmart can give you cheap stuff. If they pay the employees more all of them, there goes the cheap stuff! It becomes a Bloomingdales instead of cheap crap. Its a bad cycle but consumers want it.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc paolella View Post
there is no civic duty. Civic duty is a myth. We are not our brother's keeper. that is also worse than a myth. We are not born into slavery. If someone needs help, they should ask for it, not demand it at the point of a gun. We call that crime in other contexts. Old ladies were young once, as were old men. You need to plan for your old age when you are young. Responsible rational people do it every day, save their money, and live comfortably in their old age. Our problem is we have too many people who have been dumbed down by our education system and our government to think that they are "entitled" to free food stamp visa cards and "entitled" to free obama voodoo-care and "entitled" to a living wage(!) using "other people's money". Hence the term "entitlement programs". Nobody is "entitled" to the life of his fellow man simply because he needs it. That is a collectivist concept that is totally wrong, totally irrational, and in fact anti-rational, and anti-man. We need a new education system that stresses the primacy of the individual, and the responsibility of the individual to act in his own self-interest. Community be damned. We need more smart, independent, intelligent, citizens who act individually and do not lazily demand that others do it all for them. Our schools are not producing this type of citizen at the present time. They are producing whiny losers with eternal shoulder chips who envy everyone that has more than they do and who want to organize into irrational zombie mobs to "occupy wall street" and display their abject dumbness on their sleeves as a badge of courage. Enough already.
bravo!!!!!

Old 11-26-2012, 03:47 AM

I am tired of people calling the top class or people with money greedy. Alot of us are carrying 50-1000's on our backs. ANd their not family members, actually they are unwanted family members. Where do you think the GOvt gets its money from? IT gets it from Rich people taxes. Without rich people there would be no welfare or programs. People who are rich are smart, harder working and know how to save their money. What do the welfare people do to contribute? If they can get themselves up , fine. Stop bashing all the rich people, no rich, no welfare!!!! You should thank alot of us. I mean I have helped more people the past year and I know rich people who are very generous. This ends in Greece, if thats what you want bring it on. We need jobs for people not welfare.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:02 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,302,617 times
There are no absolutes in this debate and the answers probably lie in the middle somewhere. Marc's commentary on no civic duty is spot on. But I disagree with his other commentary that greed is good. Greed is the one thing that is killing us Marc, whether it's greedy corporations, unions, or wefare collecting slugs. Everyone wants their piece of the pie, and the hell with everyone else.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
There are no absolutes in this debate and the answers probably lie in the middle somewhere. Marc's commentary on no civic duty is spot on. But I disagree with his other commentary that greed is good. Greed is the one thing that is killing us Marc, whether it's greedy corporations, unions, or wefare collecting slugs. Everyone wants their piece of the pie, and the hell with everyone else.
Look there are alot of greedy billionaires, Soros, Bloomberg to name few but alot of them are damn generous ones too.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:12 AM

513 posts, read 1,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
There is no civic duty. Civic duty is a myth. We are NOT our brother's keeper. That is also worse than a myth. We are not born into slavery. If someone needs help, they should ask for it, not demand it at the point of a gun. We call that crime in other contexts. Old ladies were young once, as were old men. You need to plan for your old age when you are young. Responsible rational people do it every day, save their money, and live comfortably in their old age. Our problem is we have too many people who have been dumbed down by our education system and our government to think that they are "entitled" to free food stamp VISA cards and "entitled" to free Obama voodoo-care and "entitled" to a living wage(!) using "other people's money". Hence the term "entitlement programs". Nobody is "entitled" to the life of his fellow man simply because he needs it. That is a collectivist concept that is totally wrong, totally irrational, and in fact anti-rational, and anti-Man. We need a new education system that stresses the primacy of the individual, and the responsibility of the individual to act in his own self-interest. COMMUNITY BE DAMNED. We need more smart, independent, intelligent, citizens who act individually and do not lazily demand that others do it all for them. Our schools are NOT producing this type of citizen at the present time. They are producing whiny losers with eternal shoulder chips who envy everyone that has more than they do and who want to organize into irrational zombie mobs to "Occupy Wall Street" and display their abject dumbness on their sleeves as a badge of courage. Enough already.
Hi Marc! Please take me off your Christmas gift list. I already read all the Ayn Rand books you are giving as presents to everyone. Thank you.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Did not say greed was good, just wanted to point out without rich govt would have no money! When you are receiving a govt. entitilement you are getting money from the wealthy and having the govt. hand it out. But it does not come from the government. Thats the main point. Ohh and the other half comes from China ()

Old 11-26-2012, 05:29 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,053,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanne10 View Post
Hi Marc! Please take me off your Christmas gift list. I already read all the Ayn Rand books you are giving as presents to everyone. Thank you.
No worries, you were going to get the books from Aristotle, but I'll take you off.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:51 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,735,504 times
Quote:
how is that "killing us"? people want to complain about how things are getting worse and then they want to ignore the real drivers of change. things get worse from bottom to the top. people dont care about other people anymore. they just feel that if it doesnt directly hurt them, what everyone else does is ok. thats fine to a point, i dont want everyone to control what everyone else does. but i think we should at least have ideals and judge others when they dont meet those ideals. but nowadays, what everyone does should all be considered of equal value and nobody is better than anyone else and we wonder why things get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey