U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-16-2007, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,268 posts, read 15,501,681 times
Reputation: 5159

Advertisements

Yeah, MOTBY (known now as The Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor) will be the next Battery Park City. Lots of everything over a huge area that will take decades to build out. There's even a plan for a streetcar to connect the peninsula developments to the HBLR. There's info about it on the BLRA website Bayonne Local Redevelopment Authority - Bayonne, NJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-16-2007, 09:37 PM
 
Location: Rahway N.J
2,093 posts, read 4,868,307 times
Reputation: 3353
Quote:
Originally Posted by southamboy View Post
Check out the article on Rahway in New Jersey Real Estate Report

Prices are falling, doesn't mean its not an up& coming place to live, just interesting article.
Good article,
and sad as it is
the people that bought at the high a few years ago are the ones
that are going to suffer the most, I have a client that put an offer in to purchase a house ,and the seller's agent tells me it is unacceptable because it is less than what his client payed for the house 2 years ago , I let my client know what he said and we moved on to other homes, A couple of days later the agent calls me and asks how come i did not come up with a better offer and i said we did but it was for a different house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2007, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Atlantic Highlands NJ/Ponte Vedra FL/NYC
2,689 posts, read 2,846,212 times
Reputation: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
Good article,
and sad as it is
the people that bought at the high a few years ago are the ones
that are going to suffer the most, I have a client that put an offer in to purchase a house ,and the seller's agent tells me it is unacceptable because it is less than what his client payed for the house 2 years ago , I let my client know what he said and we moved on to other homes, A couple of days later the agent calls me and asks how come i did not come up with a better offer and i said we did but it was for a different house!
Good for you! the sellers agent is an idiot, he should know the value of the house is not determined by what the seller needs to get out of the house, the value is what someone is willing to pay for the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2007, 08:30 AM
 
525 posts, read 1,785,971 times
Reputation: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
New Brunswick -- I was there not too long ago for a show in that theatre in the center of town (just off George St. I think). I was very impressed and surprised at some of the redevelopment. I used to go to school nearby and New Brunswick was my old stomping grounds.

What are some of your thoughts? Proximity to NYC via car, bus and train? Metro Park is not too far and I don't know if you can catch a train from New Brunswick directly into NYC. Great restaurants too. It's still a university town though, that and J&J, LOL.

What about Cranford? What are some of your thoughts there as well? Thank you again.
Fantastic little town. Good schools, nice downtown, train and bus access to NYC. If Cranford gets a direct train line to NYC in the next couple years, as is proposed, then watch out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2007, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Northern NJ
964 posts, read 2,561,355 times
Reputation: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
Fantastic little town. Good schools, nice downtown, train and bus access to NYC. If Cranford gets a direct train line to NYC in the next couple years, as is proposed, then watch out.
I agree about New Brunswick. I've often thought about looking to that area for various real estate investing, projects, etc. I am only intimately familiar with the downtown part of the town (and the immediate surrounding area). It's such a "college town" or at least that part of town is. What about the other parts? Are people really looking to live in New Brunswick -- downtown? outer areas?

I've heard that many people are looking right across the river -- in Piscataway -- and that people feel this is a potential hotspot. I've known about Piscataway for years and there are some very nice parts of that town. I don't know about the entire town and while it's certainly not a secret, there might be some great potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2007, 10:40 AM
 
Location: NJ
47 posts, read 188,618 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
Hackettstown? Interesting. I guess being midway between the Poconos and certain areas in Northern NJ would be a good thing. I didn't think there was a large # or % of people who lived in the Poconos and commuted everyday to NYC. I know the PR says it's only X miles or so (I forget exactly what all the ads for Poconos homes say, LOL), but with NJ and NYC traffic, that X miles could end up being absolutely brutal.

What about mass transportation -- specifically trains? Is there talk of high-speed trains going in somewhere in the Poconos? I know there was talk of this years ago in the Monroe, NY area, and other areas as well (Monticello area, Catskills, etc.). Are there currently express trains that go from Hackettstown or nearby areas into NYC (or the PATH station in JC, or Hoboken, etc.)?

Thank you again.
Hi EANJ
Oh yes, you can not imagine the # of commuters that drive from PA to Eastern NJ to work. I take Route 80 every day from exit 27, and you can not beleive the # of PA license plates going east along with me every morning. It is becoming so unaffordable here, that the answer for some is to just move west to PA. Same thing with driving home (I commute to the Clifton area), I see many many PA plates getting onto Route 80 west going home by where I work. Which means they drive 2x the mileage I do and the time in the car as well. God bless 'em!

As for the train. There is a midtown (NYC) direct train that goes to hackettstown. I don't know if it is express. It might stop several times, but it ends up in midtown without having to change trains. This was recently open (maybe the last 5-7 yrs?), and a huge plus for people living in hackettstown. There is also a few different bus services into the city (NYC).

There has been talks, for years, of a train going from Newton to sparta and into the city from there. Who knows if that will ever be completed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2007, 01:25 PM
 
2 posts, read 7,953 times
Reputation: 10
Default trenton

Trenton's gotta be the next big thing. of course, only if 20000 new residents move in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2007, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
29,615 posts, read 65,640,395 times
Reputation: 15044
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfill View Post
Hi EANJ
Oh yes, you can not imagine the # of commuters that drive from PA to Eastern NJ to work. I take Route 80 every day from exit 27, and you can not beleive the # of PA license plates going east along with me every morning. It is becoming so unaffordable here, that the answer for some is to just move west to PA. Same thing with driving home (I commute to the Clifton area), I see many many PA plates getting onto Route 80 west going home by where I work. Which means they drive 2x the mileage I do and the time in the car as well. God bless 'em!

As for the train. There is a midtown (NYC) direct train that goes to hackettstown. I don't know if it is express. It might stop several times, but it ends up in midtown without having to change trains. This was recently open (maybe the last 5-7 yrs?), and a huge plus for people living in hackettstown. There is also a few different bus services into the city (NYC).

There has been talks, for years, of a train going from Newton to sparta and into the city from there. Who knows if that will ever be completed!

Over 20,000 people from Monroe County, PA commute to NY each day. More likely commute to NJ. There are also thousands of people in Pike County, PA that commute, as well as a growing number from the Lehigh Valley and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre areas of PA. Congestion on I-80 is becoming wicked in some areas, and it will only get worse now that I-80 is becoming a toll road through the Keystone State. There has been discussion for years between officials in PA and NJ about establishing a commuter rail between Scranton and Hoboken, NJ with stops in the Poconos and North Jersey to help alleviate I-80 congestion, but we all know the red tape that happens when PA and NJ try to do ANYTHING together. LOL! I'll probably be long out of the area by the time they even announce a start date for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2007, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Weehawken, NJ
2,179 posts, read 5,979,006 times
Reputation: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Over 20,000 people from Monroe County, PA commute to NY each day. More likely commute to NJ. There are also thousands of people in Pike County, PA that commute, as well as a growing number from the Lehigh Valley and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre areas of PA. Congestion on I-80 is becoming wicked in some areas, and it will only get worse now that I-80 is becoming a toll road through the Keystone State. There has been discussion for years between officials in PA and NJ about establishing a commuter rail between Scranton and Hoboken, NJ with stops in the Poconos and North Jersey to help alleviate I-80 congestion, but we all know the red tape that happens when PA and NJ try to do ANYTHING together. LOL! I'll probably be long out of the area by the time they even announce a start date for it.
You really do need to consider Montclair, Bayonne, Red Bank, Hoboken, and Weehawken before just packing up and moving far from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2007, 08:57 PM
 
562 posts, read 2,373,521 times
Reputation: 142
check this out:
YouTube - EDC "Your Success Starts Here"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top