Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:28 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

we went to the aquarium not too long ago and since some road was closed and we were using the gps, we got stuck driving around camden a little bit to find a way out. i regretted not bringing my gun in the car with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 01:54 PM

79 posts, read 186,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
we went to the aquarium not too long ago and since some road was closed and we were using the gps, we got stuck driving around camden a little bit to find a way out. i regretted not bringing my gun in the car with me.

Did the gather around your car at the stoplight like they do in Paterson ?

When I was home last September I learned you don't stop a traffic lights in Patterson and I was making a simple turn to get back on Rt 21 Back to Clifton.. Not even stopped for 2 min..

Old 03-06-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseys Rants View Post

When I was home last September I learned you don't stop a traffic lights in Patterson and I was making a simple turn to get back on Rt 21 Back to Clifton.. Not even stopped for 2 min..
we were in a buick enclave so i was nervous at lights, people noticed the nice car. fortunately, we didnt get stuck for long at any lights with many people around. i got a little annoyed with my wife for not trying to time things a little better to minimize the time actually standing in a light and i was prepared to tell her to go through a light if needed. i didnt want to make a fuss since we had family that was visiting from out of town with us. everyone sat quietly and i could tell they were nervous.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:22 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
They do. I grew up in Collingswood which borders Camden. My father was born and raised in Camden before the decline, but his sister still lives there in the same house she's owned for 40+ years now. My parents help out my dad's sister (who could move, but refuses to) and we would often have to drive through some choice parts now and then. Both of my parents have had times when people approached the car...

My father was in the military for many years and ended his career in the NJNG. He was assigned to the Camden Armory and one night was driving to a meeting in his uniform and was attacked at a stoplight. One guy threw a cinder block through the windshield while a couple of others were trying the doors. Thankfully it was winter and my dad was wearing his heavy field coat and he put up his arms to block the glass. He quickly stomped on the gas and got out of there and drove straight to the armory without stopping.

My mom, despite repeated instructions from my dad to NEVER stop at a light or stop sign unless she absolutely had to when in Camden, still tended to drive like Mrs. Magoo. My swim team used to hold practices at the Camden YMCA and we were leaving one night and she stopped at a light on Haddon Ave. in Camden heading back home. I was maybe around 9 and was sitting in the front seat. A guy walked out in front of the car and stood in front of it. One ran up to my door and tried to open it and another was trying to open the rear drivers side. Thankfully mom had her senses and floored it. I'm pretty sure she clipped the dude in front of the car as he dove out of the way. She drove straight to the police station in Collingswood and I don't think the car was going under 50mph the whole way there. Apparently mom is rather adept at running the "Ghetto Grand Prix" when needed.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:29 PM

i would hope my wife would have the sense to floor it and nail anyone who stops in front of the car. i was ready to tell her to if she didnt. (yeah she does most of the driving on the weekends)

Old 03-06-2013, 02:36 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,422,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
The worst part is that they all have the opportunity to improve themselves, yet most choose not to. They have a ton of options available to them. Philadelphia is right across the river, and Wilmington is commutable. Plus all the jobs in the burbs.
huh?

Old 03-06-2013, 02:41 PM

79 posts, read 186,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
They do. I grew up in Collingswood which borders Camden. My father was born and raised in Camden before the decline, but his sister still lives there in the same house she's owned for 40+ years now. My parents help out my dad's sister (who could move, but refuses to) and we would often have to drive through some choice parts now and then. Both of my parents have had times when people approached the car...

My father was in the military for many years and ended his career in the NJNG. He was assigned to the Camden Armory and one night was driving to a meeting in his uniform and was attacked at a stoplight. One guy threw a cinder block through the windshield while a couple of others were trying the doors. Thankfully it was winter and my dad was wearing his heavy field coat and he put up his arms to block the glass. He quickly stomped on the gas and got out of there and drove straight to the armory without stopping.

My mom, despite repeated instructions from my dad to NEVER stop at a light or stop sign unless she absolutely had to when in Camden, still tended to drive like Mrs. Magoo. My swim team used to hold practices at the Camden YMCA and we were leaving one night and she stopped at a light on Haddon Ave. in Camden heading back home. I was maybe around 9 and was sitting in the front seat. A guy walked out in front of the car and stood in front of it. One ran up to my door and tried to open it and another was trying to open the rear drivers side. Thankfully mom had her senses and floored it. I'm pretty sure she clipped the dude in front of the car as he dove out of the way. She drove straight to the police station in Collingswood and I don't think the car was going under 50mph the whole way there. Apparently mom is rather adept at running the "Ghetto Grand Prix" when needed.
Whoaaaaaa...

Even when I lived in Newark that never happend to me I could not Imagine that...

I got an '05 GTO and I had some promo stuff to do and wanted to video where I used to race in Newark and Rutts Hutt.. So I got on 21 and forgot what exit Rutts Hut was, and being that I'm in Florida a few months outta the year now my Windows are tinted dark so It was hot an I had the windows down enjoying the weather..

So I missed the exit and figured what the hell I'll turn around at the Paterson exit maybe get a picture of the Lou Costello Statue...

As soon as I stopped at the exit not even a min, there was two walking up then I looked at the other side and saw another four I was already in first and said a ticket is better than what is possibly going to happen next.. I just took off they threw some stuff at me but luckily it didn't hit, Got back on 21 and went to Rutts.. I later told my Cousin who is a Kearny Police...

He just looked an me and shook his head, and said dude no one goes to Paterson ever !

Back in the day it was bad but never like that..

Old 03-06-2013, 02:44 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
The worst part is that they all have the opportunity to improve themselves, yet most choose not to. They have a ton of options available to them. Philadelphia is right across the river, and Wilmington is commutable. Plus all the jobs in the burbs.

In Detroit, they don't have a thriving world class city 5 minutes away to find a job in...
Not even Windsor?

Old 03-06-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

do you still drive in camden?

Old 03-06-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
As soon as I stopped at the exit not even a min, there was two walking up then I looked at the other side and saw another four I was already in first and said a ticket is better than what is possibly going to happen next.. I just took off they threw some stuff at me but luckily it didn't hit, Got back on 21 and went to Rutts.. I later told my Cousin who is a Kearny Police...

He just looked an me and shook his head, and said dude no one goes to Paterson ever !

Back in the day it was bad but never like that..
its an amazing concept that there are "people" who have a natural instinct to attack other people immediately upon seeing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey