Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 11:27 AM

478 posts, read 700,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by montycench View Post
What you don't know is what is going on today. You've already demonstrated your complete ignorance of what is happening in New Jersey's cities today (not 10 years ago) so why should anybody believe what you call the "truth" to be accurate?
Wrong Monty. I only left New Jersey in January of 2012 so unless New Jerseys cities have made an amazing transformation over the last year and a half then l am completely aware of "whats happening".....they are still in a state of urban decay and downward economic spiral and Camden is still one of the front runners for the distinction of Murder Capital of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 01:01 PM

225 posts, read 352,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gentleman View Post
Wrong Monty. I only left New Jersey in January of 2012 so unless New Jerseys cities have made an amazing transformation over the last year and a half then l am completely aware of "whats happening".....they are still in a state of urban decay and downward economic spiral and Camden is still one of the front runners for the distinction of Murder Capital of the US.
You left New Jersey in 2012 but you stopped paying attention to what was happening long before that. The fact of the matter is quite a few urban areas in New Jersey have made a turnaround or are in the midst of one right now. I posted links earlier in this thread showing that several cities in this state are seeing development they haven't seen in decades. Their populations are rising as well. Now those are measurable facts supporting my view. If you think you're right then why don't you post some information supporting your view? I've addressed your posts in other threads and said I'd be open to debating this issue so let's see what you've got. What evidence do you have to support the opinion that every city in New Jersey is actively declining?

Now before you post an article from the star ledger about crime let me get out in front of you on that one. I can make the argument that cities like Newark and Jersey City are improving due to increased development. These cities were not worth investing in for a long time and now people are starting to pour private funds into these places. There was no development and now there is. That is a change that is obviously positive and can be seen. You can't make the same argument with crime. You can't say that there was no crime in these places and now there is. That argument doesn't work. Crime may not have gotten much better, but it also hasn't gotten any worse than it has been in the past and in order to use this logic to prove that these cities are actively "declining" you have to show that crime has gotten worse. So crime has essentially stayed the same and these cities are experiencing positive growth through other means so overall these cities are improving (although there is a lot of work that still needs to be done).

And to be fair, just to get this straight, in my last post I specifically mentioned that Hoboken, Jersey City, Newark, and New Brunswick were improving. You can throw Asbury Park in there as well. There are still some cities in New Jersey that have not started to improve. Trenton, Camden, and Paterson for example have not experienced the same type of turnaround. I am fine with admitting that not every city in the state has gotten better but the five cities that I mentioned that have seen improvements directly contradict your notion that "every city" in New Jersey is in a state of decline.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:16 PM

Excuse me then.....please change "every city" is in decline to "most cities" are in decline with Camden still being the almost yearly winner of Murder Capital of the US winner !!! Gee.....that sounds much, much better and sure to attract new residents ?

Old 09-01-2013, 01:37 PM

88 posts, read 305,459 times
New Jersey will be in trouble years from now finacnially. New York too but Jersey more so.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:41 PM

225 posts, read 352,475 times
Quote:
Excuse me then.....please change "every city" is in decline to "most cities" are in decline with Camden still being the almost yearly winner of Murder Capital of the US winner !!! Gee.....that sounds much, much better and sure to attract new residents ?
Camden and Trenton will have their days to improve. So the revitalization of New Jersey's cities hasn't made its way that far south yet but it will. Nothing stays the same forever. Besides, it's ridiculous to criticize an entire state because of a handful of cities out of a total 565 towns in the state. Do you criticize all of Michigan because Detroit and Flint are there? What about California? Is the entire state bad because they have Oakland and Compton? I don't think you would use that logic to criticize any other state so the fact that New Jersey has a few cities that are bad does not mean the entire state is bad.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:16 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,091,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montycench View Post
Camden and Trenton will have their days to improve. So the revitalization of New Jersey's cities hasn't made its way that far south yet but it will. Nothing stays the same forever. Besides, it's ridiculous to criticize an entire state because of a handful of cities out of a total 565 towns in the state. Do you criticize all of Michigan because Detroit and Flint are there? What about California? Is the entire state bad because they have Oakland and Compton? I don't think you would use that logic to criticize any other state so the fact that New Jersey has a few cities that are bad does not mean the entire state is bad.
He wants us to answer for our worst city Camden (a tiny city barely 10 sq mi and population not even 100k), but he still hasn't answered for crime in his new home state of Florida being MUCH higher than in NJ.

And check this link for cities 100k+ only a year ago:

The 25 Most Dangerous Cities In America - Business Insider

In fact, as recently as last year Miami ranked worse than Newark, and Orlando wasn't far behind. And then there's smaller cities in FL with high crime that he doesn't talk about (or even know) like: Homestead, Fort Myers, chunks of Daytona Beach etc etc (since he likes bringing up Irvington, EO and all)

Last edited by 66nexus; 09-01-2013 at 10:30 PM..

Old 09-01-2013, 10:20 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,026,805 times
I get a real laugh on here when people compare Newark to Camden. Anyone that is seriously half-familiar with both cities will know that Newark is literally a fixer-upper in comparison to Camden. You cannot compare Newark to Camden. They are nothing alike. Camden is one of the worst places in the entire country, if not THE worst. The place is damaged beyond any sort of repair. There is hope for Newark, and not all of Newark is bad either like people make it out to be.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 18,441 times
I live in jersey right by Trenton you my friend are correct- most cities here are in a state of woe -Trenton has a mayor who is a burden on the city and will not step down -He and his buddys have been caught red handed taking bribes and still insist on draging the city down even after being caught -thats what makes us the brunt of so many jokes -whats illegal in most states is normal bussiness here in the garden state

Old 09-02-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggs View Post
I live in jersey right by Trenton you my friend are correct- most cities here are in a state of woe -Trenton has a mayor who is a burden on the city and will not step down -He and his buddys have been caught red handed taking bribes and still insist on draging the city down even after being caught -thats what makes us the brunt of so many jokes -whats illegal in most states is normal bussiness here in the garden state
Here's a guy who has his facts correct and sees New Jerseys "big" city problems as opposed to those who know there are problems but only wish to have the problems discussed unless there are rainbows and unicorns in the picture. Yes, other states have their financial or crime problem cities but they are isolated and not typical of all the other cities within the state. Flint, Michigan is a disaster because of the sorry state of the auto industry......a legitimate excuse. However, every "city" in New Jersey is a poster child of urban blight, in a state of structural or financial decline with outrageous crime rates or has reached the depths of combined decay and crime and has become a tax burden the rest of the residents ave now become responsible for. Are there small pockets in some of these cities where an effort is being made to revitalize the area.....sure....but the reality is because of decades of mismanagement, financial ineptness and general poor planning the task of saving these cities is now overwhelming and the tax burden to save them staggering. Additionally....there's absolutely nothing to attract people from suburbia to move back into the cities and risk their lives and financial investments in doing so. It's a dark, expensive tunnel and the light you think you see at the end of the tunnel in reality is the headlight from the bankruptcy train about to hit the state of New Jersey.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:08 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,091,606 times
Quote:
Here's a guy who has his facts correct and sees New Jerseys "big" city problems as opposed to those who know there are problems but only wish to have the problems discussed unless there are rainbows and unicorns in the picture. Yes, other states have their financial or crime problem cities but they are isolated and not typical of all the other cities within the state. Flint, Michigan is a disaster because of the sorry state of the auto industry......a legitimate excuse. However, every "city" in New Jersey is a poster child of urban blight, in a state of structural or financial decline with outrageous crime rates or has reached the depths of combined decay and crime and has become a tax burden the rest of the residents ave now become responsible for. Are there small pockets in some of these cities where an effort is being made to revitalize the area.....sure....but the reality is because of decades of mismanagement, financial ineptness and general poor planning the task of saving these cities is now overwhelming and the tax burden to save them staggering. Additionally....there's absolutely nothing to attract people from suburbia to move back into the cities and risk their lives and financial investments in doing so. It's a dark, expensive tunnel and the light you think you see at the end of the tunnel in reality is the headlight from the bankruptcy train about to hit the state of New Jersey.
Hmm, still avoiding the question about FL cities (and the overall crime situation in FL). You talk about the 'sad state' of NJ cities when your own cities have much of their own problems. (And no, crime rates that high are not 'isolated' problems. Let's not get started on FL's STILL ongoing debt problem...but yeah...you won't talk about that).

Also, for your bolded statement, Newark, Jersey City, and Elizabeth ALL grew from the last census. And, unless you've been living under a rock for the last 5-10 years, you'd know that Jersey City has exclusive waterfront property that is some of the most valued in the country and the population has exploded.

I generally thought you were legit at first, but now you're just hard to take seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey