Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 10:55 AM

141 posts, read 244,045 times

Advertisements

New Brunswick looks like it would be your best option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 12:51 PM

7 posts, read 11,939 times
So guys new brunswick it is. Princeton would be my second choice if I cant find anything in NB. I want to thank everyone for all their help. Could you guys please list out the better areas within NB that would be suitable for me given my situation. I am really sorry but I have no idea regarding the local regions within NB and therefore your help would be much appreciated.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:27 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,079,510 times
Stay close to RU campus off College Ave & George St. As you move away from the downtown past Easton Ave it's regular NJ inner city 'hood. Also avoid blocks off Remsen & Livingston, not safest areas to be walking around.

Lots of RU students also live in Highland Pk just across the Raritan from NB. Worth checking out. More suburban but real close.

There might be ads for apt. sharing on Craigslist.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:57 PM

What do you guys think about a room available near Nichol avenue at 18 handy street (next to the Willets health center and the Jameson residence area on the Douglass campus)? Wasn't sure if links are allowed so just went with the address. Obv. Just asking about the area and locality.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:49 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,046,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ic3man View Post
What do you guys think about a room available near Nichol avenue at 18 handy street (next to the Willets health center and the Jameson residence area on the Douglass campus)? Wasn't sure if links are allowed so just went with the address. Obv. Just asking about the area and locality.
The area is generally good. Below are two screen grabs for reference.

I have not heard of any major problems on this part of Handy Street. Generally this is a clean space with a fair amount of police coverage due to the proximity to the campus. For reference, at the corner of Nichol and George is the Douglass Campus Center which includes a cafe and convenience shop as well as a post office.

Across Nichol from Handy is the George H. Cook Campus, hence the tan shading on the map. The campus bus stop at Passion Puddle has buses that will take you into downtown New Brunswick along George Street and around to College Avenue. For details on the bus system, visit:

http://parktran.rutgers.edu/PDF/0250...%20Map0725.pdf

Hope this helps.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:18 PM

I am going to be stuck in california right till the end of this month. And then I'd have to fly over to NJ immediately. Therefore, I am going to have to get a place without having had the privilege of checking it out physically. So, big leap of faith. Maybe, I should start off with a short term lease just in case.

What sort of price range should I be looking at for one room in a shared apartment?

Old 03-13-2014, 08:35 PM

239 posts, read 413,985 times
Hey, totally feel your pain.

To your point: share a house, not an apartment. Do not sign on for a long term lease until you know the area.

Find a roommate, pay no more than $800, but plenty for $600 with utilities included.

Ask:

Bedroom furnished?
Smokers?
Do the others work?
Can I lock my bedroom door?
Will I share a bath, or do I have my own? (So important)
Can you send me pics directly? (So important)
If asked for a deposit, ask how this will be used (So important)
Ask if you will be on a lease, and inquire about Renter's Insurance (Somewhat important)
Why is my rent $800? What are you paying, is it an even split or not?
How long have you been living where you are?
Dogs, cats?
Does the landlord expect grass cut? Do they respond to fixes?
Is there laundry on the premises, and are they operable?

I have done contract work for 7 years, moving in and out of states.

Do not plop down any money toward an
Apartment ...until you know the area - you really have to be in the area to make the right choice.

Good Luck, just use common sense.

Last edited by Sagafrika; 03-13-2014 at 08:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey