Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 05:48 PM

646 posts, read 2,669,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Incidentally, I worked for Sam's Club in the mid-90's. It was one of the worst jobs I ever had, so please don't confuse me pointing out truth as being a plant for Wal-Mart.

My main transgression in this thread is about how dangerous the internet is getting with skewing opinion.

Saying that Wal-Mart is a dangerous entity is one thing, and I won't fight you on that. But swaying the court of public opinion with carefully edited video clips; that's a true danger.

I am a student of journalism, first and foremost. And the unrestricted areas of the internet can be incredibly dangerous, especially if people with the Adbusters mentality get involved.
maybe just as dangerous as lets say an un- informed reporter can be.

http://wakeupwalmart.com/

http://walmartwatch.com/

http://www.walmartmovie.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 05:51 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,692,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
You are dead wrong!If Walmart paid any med expenses it sure as hell was not 100% coverage so who pays what's left ......think,so yes she can sue for the Medical expenses and Walmart can go after the responsible party to get it back!Walmart knew this women was hurting and tried to take advantage of her.
Wait... what?

I think we're confusing the issues here.

Wal-Mart was a perfectly scummy company for doing what they did, and I think they are abhorrent.

However, the case was settled and the woman kept her money. Wal-Mart had a right to do what they did (as scummy as it seems) and multiple courts agreed with Wal-Mart. I think it's because the Shanks had a really crappy lawyer. For God's sake, Terry Schaivo got TONS more money when her doctors were sued, and there wasn't even proof the docs were at fault for the potassium imbalance.

That being said, my main point is that renegade video makers distort the truth and propagate it (key word here!) as the real truth without ethics or code.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:55 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,955,051 times
Quote:
Incidentally, I worked for a news radio station in the mid 2000's. It was the best job I ever had. And I did, in fact, have to compromise my beliefs on several occasions.

Someone's getting upset, I think.

The "internet" is not true media, because even places like CNN and Fox News has ethics, believe it or not. They may not be great ethics, but they are there.

People who throw up videos on YouTube do not play by the same ethical rules and code.
You are 100% right, and I did not watch the clip here, but I actually followed the story in the "real" media. So I'm pretty familiar with the case.

646 posts, read 2,669,040 times
Quote:
Wait... what?

I think we're confusing the issues here.

Wal-Mart was a perfectly scummy company for doing what they did, and I think they are abhorrent.

However, the case was settled and the woman kept her money. Wal-Mart had a right to do what they did (as scummy as it seems) and multiple courts agreed with Wal-Mart. I think it's because the Shanks had a really crappy lawyer. For God's sake, Terry Schaivo got TONS more money when her doctors were sued, and there wasn't even proof the docs were at fault for the potassium imbalance.

That being said, my main point is that renegade video makers distort the truth and propagate it (key word here!) as the real truth without ethics or code.

I understand what you said ,and you're wrong ans so is Walmart .Check the links I provided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
That thought crossed my mind as well..... walmart should have sued the trucking company - not the employee.

Wal-Mart had no legal recourse to sue the trucking company. As I remember, the woman was on Wal-Mart's healthcare as an employee so they were covering her medical expenses.

It was a traffic accident that was off Wal-Mart property; Wal-Mart's only involvement with the case was that she was an employee and covered under their insurance.

This isn't like a customer was walking into Wal-Mart's store and was plowed down by a Wal-Mart truck.

I'll put it this way: If you got into a car accident tomorrow, could your employer sue the person who hit you?

Old 07-27-2008, 05:56 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,955,051 times
And Wiley's right - they still suck!

[IMG]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTefQDC41I6tIA1QCjzbkF/SIG=124eoq8ku/EXP=1217289347/**http%3A//dennisjudd.com/albums/funpics/walmart.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-27-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I understand what you said ,and you're wrong ans so is Walmart .Check the links I provided.

...those links are biased claims, which is exactly what we are talking about.

I don't disagree with you that Wal-Mart can be bad for business, but the point is, when it comes to journalism, you can't trust an unchecked source, which is a majority of these "So and So Sucks" websites.

Example: Just this weekend, Consumerist.com ran a story about the XM-Sirius merger being a "dangerous monopoly" when it is no such thing, it was a needed merger to keep both companys afloat.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:03 PM

93 posts, read 309,465 times
Left-wingers have been obsessed with Wal-Mart ever since they refused to sell music with what they considered offensive lyrics. I've never even set foot in one of their stores and probably never will but will remain skeptical about what leftist documentarians have to say about anything. They tend to be good at manipulating the emotions of well-intended people but do you really think these infants know the first thing about free-market economics? If people honestly believed there was value-added in paying more for things at small, locally-owned businesses they'd do so.

It may work rather well where people have enough money to be so self-indulgent but of course that better describes the kind of people who make documentaries for a living than the working poor who are looking to save money any way they can.

I'm sure it is a ruthless corporation that is crappy to work for but you don't have to look much past the trailer for that "documentary" to notice how creepy and manipulative it is.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:03 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,612,425 times
Quote:
Wal-Mart had no legal recourse to sue the trucking company. As I remember, the woman was on Wal-Mart's healthcare as an employee so they were covering her medical expenses.

It was a traffic accident that was off Wal-Mart property; Wal-Mart's only involvement with the case was that she was an employee and covered under their insurance.

This isn't like a customer was walking into Wal-Mart's store and was plowed down by a Wal-Mart truck.

I'll put it this way: If you got into a car accident tomorrow, could your employer sue the person who hit you?

Yes! I believe you can. If the accident cost you or your business any hardship..dan right you can sue them! This is America..Land of Law suits

Old 07-27-2008, 06:04 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
Wow 4 pages so far and not one knuckle head defending Walmart. Quite the opposite in all the other Walmart threads. Some defend the Chinese retailers to the death while others say they will never step foot in that place.

I know the documentary you speak of Wiley. It is shown on CNBC a couple times a month. It makes me sick when Walmart rents out those huge arenas to hold their pep rallys and make all those minimum wage clerks cheer and rant and carry signs saying how great Wally is. Tell me what it must cost to rent out a huge arena that seats 10,000 or more. Think how much happier and what a better world it would be if Wallyworld took that money, skipped the pep rally and gave it back to their employees. WoW!!

My biggest complaint of all is they have more human rights violations filed against them then any other company in America. The claims are endless and would take volumes to tell them all. They are all easily googleable.

I also dispise their business plan which is usually to find an area that is poor with several downtown main street type businesses and build just up the street. Then everyone flocks to the new Walmart selling all their Chinese junk and abandon all the local mom and pop stores. Traditions die with them.

Sam Walton would turn over in his grave if he knew what they have done with his company. Sam took great pride in taking care of his employees. He always paid them over the average salary. If medical insurance was available then he would have supplied that too.

Ahh the high cost of low prices (on cheap junk).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey