Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:39 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,692,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
The cost is collective,they tell people they can only sell things at their stores.....such as Garth Brooks music or certain Batman things(just an example) that stops free enterprise .Now if Walmart as big as it is decides (and they have ) to keep the wages down and that is business ..I realize that but it's the way they do it.They go to a town promise the moon if they get this tax break or build these roads and lights all for the promise of jobs which they say will come from the people they put out of work,then after the 10,15,or 25 years ...when they are suppose to start repaying (the taxes) ...they move and leave the county ....town ...whatever holding the bag.It's called ethics and Walmart does'nt have any.

First, all the chain stores have exclusive toys. Target, Toys R Us, Wal-Mart all carry exclusive big-ticket toys, whether it's Barbie or GI Joe. That doesn't limit free enterprise at all.

As for the Garth Brooks thing... are you seriously going to try and defend music labels vs. Wal-Mart? Because that is one argument I am more than willing to take you to school on. Wal-Mart's distribution system for music as a record label actually helps the artists promotion more than the current label system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 11:23 PM

20 posts, read 179,850 times
Interesting stuff, but I cant help to think that the real blame is on the "customers" of walmart

And I will say that Walmart is not alone for sure, theres alot of "bad" stuff going around with alot of companies, it is survival of the fittest eh?

Old 07-29-2008, 01:36 AM

646 posts, read 2,669,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
First, all the chain stores have exclusive toys. Target, Toys R Us, Wal-Mart all carry exclusive big-ticket toys, whether it's Barbie or GI Joe. That doesn't limit free enterprise at all.

As for the Garth Brooks thing... are you seriously going to try and defend music labels vs. Wal-Mart? Because that is one argument I am more than willing to take you to school on. Wal-Mart's distribution system for music as a record label actually helps the artists promotion more than the current label system.
It's not the other stores have exclusive toys and such,it's what Walmart does to get it and what they do to others.Walmart doesn't help anyone artist anyone,and you are so wrong on the help thing it's funny.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:38 AM

646 posts, read 2,669,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrz View Post
Interesting stuff, but I cant help to think that the real blame is on the "customers" of walmart

And I will say that Walmart is not alone for sure, theres alot of "bad" stuff going around with alot of companies, it is survival of the fittest eh?
..............I wouldn't say fittest,I'd say the company with the least amount of ethics.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:30 AM

93 posts, read 309,465 times
I 'm sure this will be a little too heady for some of you but here is a paper done by a highly respected liberal economist at NYU. It pretty much shreds a lot of the emotional BS attached to all of this by economically clueless activists. I have no dog in this hunt and the whole chain could burn to the ground for all I care but more information is always better than less. You'll have to cut and paste as I forgot how to make it show as a link and am in a hurry.

http://www.americanprogress.org/kf/walmart_progressive.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by Eephus; 07-29-2008 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: tried to fix link

Old 07-29-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
It's not the other stores have exclusive toys and such,it's what Walmart does to get it and what they do to others.Walmart doesn't help anyone artist anyone,and you are so wrong on the help thing it's funny.
Can I ask another question?

I'm trying to present a dissenting point of view, using my own personal experiences and every time I bring up a valid point, your only response is "nuh-uh, you're SOOOOO wrong" which is really condescending.

As I've said before, I have no love for Wal-Mart, but I think you have a blind hatred for the company which leaves you unable to accept opposing views.

Let me give you an example of how Wal-Mart helps the artist.

The Eagles are a classic rock band. They recently released an album that was only available through Wal-Mart. Now, because of how fractured the music business is, classic rock bands get almost zero promotion, because a lot of stations don't play new music by classic rock artists. The ones that do are few and far between, and if they do get airplay, the spins they get are few.

At most, they'll have a CD giveaway promotion.

Wal-Mart was the exclusive distributor for the Eagles' latest album, and Wal-Mart gave them a promotional push that included TV spots, ads, etc. Something that not a lot of artists get unless they are the "big thing". The last time the Eagles were a "big thing" was about 30 years ago.

The result?

The Eagles album was #1. It sold three million copies.

That's insanely good numbers for a group that hasn't put out a studio album since 1979.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:35 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,612,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Can I ask another question?

I'm trying to present a dissenting point of view, using my own personal experiences and every time I bring up a valid point, your only response is "nuh-uh, you're SOOOOO wrong" which is really condescending.

As I've said before, I have no love for Wal-Mart, but I think you have a blind hatred for the company which leaves you unable to accept opposing views.

Let me give you an example of how Wal-Mart helps the artist.

The Eagles are a classic rock band. They recently released an album that was only available through Wal-Mart. Now, because of how fractured the music business is, classic rock bands get almost zero promotion, because a lot of stations don't play new music by classic rock artists. The ones that do are few and far between, and if they do get airplay, the spins they get are few.

At most, they'll have a CD giveaway promotion.

Wal-Mart was the exclusive distributor for the Eagles' latest album, and Wal-Mart gave them a promotional push that included TV spots, ads, etc. Something that not a lot of artists get unless they are the "big thing". The last time the Eagles were a "big thing" was about 30 years ago.

The result?

The Eagles album was #1. It sold three million copies.

That's insanely good numbers for a group that hasn't put out a studio album since 1979.

That's insanely good numbers for Walmart as well

Old 07-29-2008, 07:47 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i noticed this immediately and started to wonder why. here's my guess: in the northeast, walmart is not as vital to the economic engine as it is in other parts of the country. walmart is still a "novelty" around here. for me personally, i think the first time i ever stepped in one was probably around the year 2000.

i've read other threads on other boards about this very topic, and some people act as though you spit on their mother and called her ugly. some will defend WM to the death it seems.
7 pages into the thread, and finally Tahiti got it. You just saved me my personal take on the situation, because it mirrors yours.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:06 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,680 times
Quote:
The cost is collective,they tell people they can only sell things at their stores.....such as Garth Brooks music or certain Batman things(just an example) that stops free enterprise .Now if Walmart as big as it is decides (and they have ) to keep the wages down and that is business ..I realize that but it's the way they do it.They go to a town promise the moon if they get this tax break or build these roads and lights all for the promise of jobs which they say will come from the people they put out of work,then after the 10,15,or 25 years ...when they are suppose to start repaying (the taxes) ...they move and leave the county ....town ...whatever holding the bag.It's called ethics and Walmart does'nt have any.
You can go to any other store and buy what a WalMart offers...like Targert, KMart, Best Buy...even Amazon.com! What (product) is exclusive to WalMart? I don't shop at the big "W" and I don't think I'm missing out on anything other than a lot of frustration while shopping there?

Maybe I'm jaded. My town lets "over the moon" religious groups buy property (no property tax expected...and 90% of the parishoners of these places do NOT live in the town where these eye-sores have either been built or are propsed to be) and build monstrosities of buildings that do NOT fit into the "small historic town" vibe. And of course all the building that has passed in yesteryear has been done WITHOUT taking into consideration traffic, existing residents, etc. My town is all about pandering for dem or lib votes. We've got some local "elected" morons trying to build a staute of Ghandi to remind all the gang-bangers (keep in mind this statue of Ghandi will NOT be erected in gang-banger territory) thinking about "peace" and all Ghandi stood for...

We just got a Home Depot with combined COAH housing nixed...on a historical road in a historical "environment" in town.

Yet, wer're #5 nationally as "best town to live in". Don't think so.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post

Yet, wer're #5 nationally as "best town to live in". Don't think so.

I feel for you. Reading that blurb on CNN/Money is the biggest amount of tripe I've ever read, and I WORK in Marketing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey