Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 06:58 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,955,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I thought monopolies were illegal in this State . I use a very popular quarry in NJ. They use to all have different names and different owners. One company owns them all now and they are getting way too expensive! This will happen with Walmart and Home Depot and Lowes..once they squash the little guys, we will be in for a raping! By the way..and I may end up in cement shoes for this..I am talking about Tilcon NJ NY! They bought out all of the mom and pop quarries... they are monopolizing in NJ and NY! But what choice do i have? I need "dirt" and they own all of the quarries.. where do i go?.
And you've posted your picture...oh boy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 07:07 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,612,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
And you've posted your picture...oh boy!
I can see the headlines now...female Jimmy Osmund Look alike wearing cement shoes found along the banks of the hudson river..,just south of one of Tilcon's Facility..lol : )) Actually - tilcon is owned by two Irish Brothers who also own Castle Block... the bricks Home Depot and others sell. Think I suit Castle Blocks?

Old 07-27-2008, 07:46 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,680 times
I have a small question or two...

Exactly how much is someone who stocks shelves all day supposed to be paid? Or a meet/greet type of a person? Or a cashier? Unskilled labor is just that...unskilled labor.

You could get a job at the local privately owned lumber yard as a cashier and guess what? You most likely will have NO benefits unless you pay for them yourself - 100%. If you have an employee who works a 25+ hour work week all you are required to do, as a busines owner, by law, is OFFER insurance benefits. You are not required to pick up any amount of the tab...so what's better or worse? Not only that, you probably won't make as much or best case scenario, the same.

I don't shop at Walmart - hate the store MAINLY b/c of the areas the two close enough to me are in and the clientele are pretty darn scary.... and the cashiers are some of the nastiest people I have ever met.

I'm not big on these monster stores moving in to neighborhoods and taking away from the mom and pop stores at all, but at LEAST some of those big companies will help people along...ie: teaching them how to get assistance, where to go to get it, whatever. Your local mom and pop shop doesn't typically do that.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:50 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,612,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
I have a small question or two...

Exactly how much is someone who stocks shelves all day supposed to be paid? Or a meet/greet type of a person? Or a cashier? Unskilled labor is just that...unskilled labor.

You could get a job at the local privately owned lumber yard as a cashier and guess what? You most likely will have NO benefits unless you pay for them yourself - 100%. If you have an employee who works a 25+ hour work week all you are required to do, as a busines owner, by law, is OFFER insurance benefits. You are not required to pick up any amount of the tab...so what's better or worse? Not only that, you probably won't make as much or best case scenario, the same.

I don't shop at Walmart - hate the store MAINLY b/c of the areas the two close enough to me are in and the clientele are pretty darn scary.... and the cashiers are some of the nastiest people I have ever met.

I'm not big on these monster stores moving in to neighborhoods and taking away from the mom and pop stores at all, but at LEAST some of those big companies will help people along...ie: teaching them how to get assistance, where to go to get it, whatever. Your local mom and pop shop doesn't typically do that.

And what is the cost to JohnQ public? I get the unskilled laborer bit... but most times, it's people out of work..down on their luck taking these jobs just to pay the bills until they find a job they are suited for. The mom and pop shops usually cared about their employees..threw them a bonus now and again.. or gave them a loan to help them out... good old fashion business - the American way!

Old 07-27-2008, 08:36 PM

93 posts, read 309,465 times
Quote:
[/b]

And what is the cost to JohnQ public? I get the unskilled laborer bit... but most times, it's people out of work..down on their luck taking these jobs just to pay the bills until they find a job they are suited for. The mom and pop shops usually cared about their employees..threw them a bonus now and again.. or gave them a loan to help them out... good old fashion business - the American way!
I get the visceral dislike of chain stores but people really need to try and seperate the emotionalism from the real economics at work. Yes, I'm sure there have been and still are all kinds of acts of generosity from small business owners toward employees but it is only possible if they are prospering. And also, if you're going to characterize Wal-Mart workers as down on their luck people trying to make ends meet in between "real jobs" does that really sound to you like the kind of employee that a small shop owner takes in and throws bonuses and loans at? I'm no fan of Wal-Mart but I'm just trying to illustrate how much emotionalism goes into these arguments.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:43 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,955,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eephus View Post
I get the visceral dislike of chain stores but people really need to try and seperate the emotionalism from the real economics at work. Yes, I'm sure there have been and still are all kinds of acts of generosity from small business owners toward employees but it is only possible if they are prospering. And also, if you're going to characterize Wal-Mart workers as down on their luck people trying to make ends meet in between "real jobs" does that really sound to you like the kind of employee that a small shop owner takes in and throws bonuses and loans at? I'm no fan of Wal-Mart but I'm just trying to illustrate how much emotionalism goes into these arguments.
Never mind the emotionalism of it all... what about the fact that they sell just about everything from China and have deeply hurt the US Economy? They have done that through the China connection, through their predatory practices and PURPOSELY putting small business out on their ear, I could go on... but I'm tired. I'll go on tomorrow!

Old 07-27-2008, 08:52 PM

93 posts, read 309,465 times
Its still emotionalism.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:54 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,692,870 times
Can I ask a question?

If I only get photo processing and groceries at Wal-Mart, how is that creating slavery in China?

Are the hanes underwear I buy there so much more evil than they are in Penney's? I mean, I want to avoid the evil underwear at all costs.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:48 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,680 times
Quote:
[/b]

I don't know...what is the cost to the public at large?

When I have been in a Walmart or a Sam's club...I'm not thinking the active employees were executives at some other company before their ship sank. Do these people have skills that are being wasted away?

I have a hard time believeing that some ex-CEO would take a cashier's/stock-gal/guy position? If it is the case, then that person isn't the one complaining about day-to-day "goings on" b/c he's just there in the "interim".

There is no comparison to a bonus vs. healthcare. We're talking today, not yesteryear.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:20 AM

646 posts, read 2,669,040 times
The cost is collective,they tell people they can only sell things at their stores.....such as Garth Brooks music or certain Batman things(just an example) that stops free enterprise .Now if Walmart as big as it is decides (and they have ) to keep the wages down and that is business ..I realize that but it's the way they do it.They go to a town promise the moon if they get this tax break or build these roads and lights all for the promise of jobs which they say will come from the people they put out of work,then after the 10,15,or 25 years ...when they are suppose to start repaying (the taxes) ...they move and leave the county ....town ...whatever holding the bag.It's called ethics and Walmart does'nt have any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey