Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 06:04 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,613,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
And Wiley's right - they still suck!

[IMG]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTefQDC41I6tIA1QCjzbkF/SIG=124eoq8ku/EXP=1217289347/**http%3A//dennisjudd.com/albums/funpics/walmart.jpg[/IMG]
DANG! How much love do I need to spread around before I can rep you again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 06:08 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,955,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
DANG! How much love do I need to spread around before I can rep you again
DITTO DITTO DITTO! lol

Old 07-27-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Wow 4 pages so far and not one knuckle head defending Walmart. Quite the opposite in all the other Walmart threads. Some defend the Chinese retailers to the death while others say they will never step foot in that place.

I know the documentary you speak of Wiley. It is shown on CNBC a couple times a month. It makes me sick when Walmart rents out those huge arenas to hold their pep rallys and make all those minimum wage clerks cheer and rant and carry signs saying how great Wally is. Tell me what it must cost to rent out a huge arena that seats 10,000 or more. Think how much happier and what a better world it would be if Wallyworld took that money, skipped the pep rally and gave it back to their employees. WoW!!

My biggest complaint of all is they have more human rights violations filed against them then any other company in America. The claims are endless and would take volumes to tell them all. They are all easily googleable.

I also dispise their business plan which is usually to find an area that is poor with several downtown main street type businesses and build just up the street. Then everyone flocks to the new Walmart selling all their Chinese junk and abandon all the local mom and pop stores. Traditions die with them.

Sam Walton would turn over in his grave if he knew what they have done with his company. Sam took great pride in taking care of his employees. He always paid them over the average salary. If medical insurance was available then he would have supplied that too.

Ahh the high cost of low prices (on cheap junk).
Great post dessertsun! You are putting the original intent of this thread back on track. My father tried to sue walmart but no attorney would take his case. They have deep pockets but they also have high priced legal firms defending them!

Old 07-27-2008, 06:11 PM

702 posts, read 2,296,243 times
Support Walmart (and other big boxes), and you support slavery.

I saw that docu several years ago, but gave up supporting the big boxes even years before that. While the masses snap up products left and right because "it's so cheap!", a red flag goes up in my head because I know what's behind that $1.99 price tag. No thanks.

Once a new Walmart comes to town, it's all over.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:14 PM

646 posts, read 2,669,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Wow 4 pages so far and not one knuckle head defending Walmart. Quite the opposite in all the other Walmart threads. Some defend the Chinese retailers to the death while others say they will never step foot in that place.

I know the documentary you speak of Wiley. It is shown on CNBC a couple times a month. It makes me sick when Walmart rents out those huge arenas to hold their pep rallys and make all those minimum wage clerks cheer and rant and carry signs saying how great Wally is. Tell me what it must cost to rent out a huge arena that seats 10,000 or more. Think how much happier and what a better world it would be if Wallyworld took that money, skipped the pep rally and gave it back to their employees. WoW!!

My biggest complaint of all is they have more human rights violations filed against them then any other company in America. The claims are endless and would take volumes to tell them all. They are all easily googleable.

I also dispise their business plan which is usually to find an area that is poor with several downtown main street type businesses and build just up the street. Then everyone flocks to the new Walmart selling all their Chinese junk and abandon all the local mom and pop stores. Traditions die with them.

Sam Walton would turn over in his grave if he knew what they have done with his company. Sam took great pride in taking care of his employees. He always paid them over the average salary. If medical insurance was available then he would have supplied that too.

Ahh the high cost of low prices (on cheap junk).

Ok ,just a point here there is the documentary done by NBC and as you said has been shown often and then there is the Walmart movie.....check it out!

WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price

Old 07-27-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
Support Walmart (and other big boxes), and you support slavery.

I saw that docu several years ago, but gave up supporting the big boxes even years before that. While the masses snap up products left and right because "it's so cheap!", a red flag goes up in my head because I know what's behind that $1.99 price tag. No thanks.

Once a new Walmart comes to town, it's all over.
As the economy get worse, I think we are all finally waking up and realizing our contribution to the demise of our country! I just hope it's not too little too late.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
Ok ,just a point here there is the documentary done by NBC and as you said has been shown often and then there is the Walmart movie.....check it out!

WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price
The person I heard this from mentioned something about Walmart instructing their underpaid employess on how to apply for government assistance while working at Walmart. Have you heard this as well and if so, where can I find that information?

Old 07-27-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
As the economy get worse, I think we are all finally waking up and realizing our contribution to the demise of our country! I just hope it's not too little too late.
The problem is people didn't realize it... it happened and then people say 'crap, now there is no competition, who can compete w/ wal-marts prices' 'crap, now there are less jobs and less pay, now i have to buy cheap'

it goes on and on and it just gets worse and worse.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
The person I heard this from mentioned something about Walmart instructing their underpaid employess on how to apply for government assistance while working at Walmart. Have you heard this as well and if so, where can I find that information?
You know, this is NOT uncommon. I see it daily, sadly. I'm in HR for the a major fast food chain - don't want to say which one - but I HATE them. I don't eat there and it is disgusting how the company is operated. I see STACKS of forms each day for people applying for assistance THESE ARE PEOPLE WHO ARE WORKING! And working hard, but being paid crap and being exploited. Let's not even get into the # of people who take their kids off our overpriced (and shiyatty) benefits to put them on NJ KidCare because they can't afford it. It's disgusting.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
The problem is people didn't realize it... it happened and then people say 'crap, now there is no competition, who can compete w/ wal-marts prices' 'crap, now there are less jobs and less pay, now i have to buy cheap'

it goes on and on and it just gets worse and worse.
I thought monopolies were illegal in this State . I use a very popular quarry in NJ. They use to all have different names and different owners. One company owns them all now and they are getting way too expensive! This will happen with Walmart and Home Depot and Lowes..once they squash the little guys, we will be in for a raping! By the way..and I may end up in cement shoes for this..I am talking about Tilcon NJ NY! They bought out all of the mom and pop quarries... they are monopolizing in NJ and NY! But what choice do i have? I need "dirt" and they own all of the quarries.. where do i go?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey