Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 04:22 AM

646 posts, read 2,669,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Can I ask a question?

If I only get photo processing and groceries at Wal-Mart, how is that creating slavery in China?

Are the hanes underwear I buy there so much more evil than they are in Penney's? I mean, I want to avoid the evil underwear at all costs.

I'll find the pickel story for you,you'll love this.

Here you go ,read the whole thing and it will answer any questions you have.

http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1024209/posts

Last edited by Giantone; 07-28-2008 at 04:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 04:47 AM

646 posts, read 2,669,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eephus View Post
I get the visceral dislike of chain stores but people really need to try and seperate the emotionalism from the real economics at work. Yes, I'm sure there have been and still are all kinds of acts of generosity from small business owners toward employees but it is only possible if they are prospering. And also, if you're going to characterize Wal-Mart workers as down on their luck people trying to make ends meet in between "real jobs" does that really sound to you like the kind of employee that a small shop owner takes in and throws bonuses and loans at? I'm no fan of Wal-Mart but I'm just trying to illustrate how much emotionalism goes into these arguments.

Why does being passionate about something make it wrong?

Old 07-28-2008, 05:28 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,866,474 times
Lots of people do not have any other choice but to shop there because they can't afford to shop at the local store. I can't compare WalMart because there isn't one, however we did notice the prices are REALLY not any different between the local hardware stores and Home Depot.

At this point the local stores are also selling all Chinese junk.

My wife tried buying nothing made in China for a month, it's impossible unless you are sitting in your house twiddling your thumbs. We decided whole heartedly rather than trying to avoid China, avoid big boxes and support the local guys.

At least with a local business, these are most likely owned by local residents, who care about where they live and work.

I feel as guilty going to Home Depot or Lowes as I do going to WalMart and we do that all the time. There is no WalMart around so its easy for me to never shop there.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:44 AM

11,350 posts, read 16,714,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Never mind the emotionalism of it all... what about the fact that they sell just about everything from China and have deeply hurt the US Economy? They have done that through the China connection, through their predatory practices and PURPOSELY putting small business out on their ear, I could go on... but I'm tired. I'll go on tomorrow!
As I said earlier, Wal-Mart used to be proud to advertise "made in America"...Unfort no more as they now buy from China.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:16 AM

11,350 posts, read 16,714,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post

The Wal-Mart You Don't Know
Just finished reading it. Looks like Wal-mart is off my shopping list.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:29 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,739,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
She wasn't double dipping. She received a small settlement from the responsible party and Walmart wanted the money back that they spent on her medical bills! It would be the same as if you or I was in a serious car accident and we sued the repsonsible party and say NJBCBS or AETNA asked for their money back that they spend on hospital bills. The money this woman received is barely enough to cover future health care! It's disgusting! And to top it off...they lost their 18 yr son in Iraq after he was only there for 2 weeks!

Read your medical coverage policy..as much as i HATE Walmart this is the carrier and many medical insurances have this sneaky little clause!!

SHOP COSTCO!!!! they treat their employees well as far as wages & benefits!!

Old 07-28-2008, 09:02 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,955,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantone View Post
the cost is collective,they tell people they can only sell things at their stores.....such as garth brooks music or certain batman things(just an example) that stops free enterprise .now if walmart as big as it is decides (and they have ) to keep the wages down and that is business ..i realize that but it's the way they do it.they go to a town promise the moon if they get this tax break or build these roads and lights all for the promise of jobs which they say will come from the people they put out of work,then after the 10,15,or 25 years ...when they are suppose to start repaying (the taxes) ...they move and leave the county ....town ...whatever holding the bag.it's called ethics and walmart does'nt have any.
amen

Old 07-28-2008, 09:05 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,955,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Read your medical coverage policy..as much as i HATE Walmart this is the carrier and many medical insurances have this sneaky little clause!!

SHOP COSTCO!!!! they treat their employees well as far as wages & benefits!!
I KNOW! And it's hard to get into COSTCO. My husband's been trying forever.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:20 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Wow 4 pages so far and not one knuckle head defending Walmart. Quite the opposite in all the other Walmart threads. Some defend the Chinese retailers to the death while others say they will never step foot in that place.
i noticed this immediately and started to wonder why. here's my guess: in the northeast, walmart is not as vital to the economic engine as it is in other parts of the country. walmart is still a "novelty" around here. for me personally, i think the first time i ever stepped in one was probably around the year 2000.

i've read other threads on other boards about this very topic, and some people act as though you spit on their mother and called her ugly. some will defend WM to the death it seems.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:33 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,612,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post

The Wal-Mart You Don't Know
Great post... I'm definately shopping else where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey