Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 08:07 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,612,425 times

Advertisements

I was having a conversation yesterday with someone who watched this documentary on HBO or Showtime? One of the pay channels... So I did some research to see if I could find the documentary. I found this website and after watching just some of the clips...I am so off of Walmart and Sam's club! They are costing American's billions of dollars . They are heartless! They are, in my opinion..."Un-American!" I hope by sharing this, I can convince a few others into boycotting Walmart and Sam's Club!

WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 08:19 AM

11,350 posts, read 16,714,274 times
At one time Wal-mart only carried "Made in America" as a symbol of American pride. Now their pride is just making money and screwing the middle class by putting them out of business.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
At one time Wal-mart only carried "Made in America" as a symbol of American pride. Now their pride is just making money and screwing the middle class by putting them out of business.
Make sure you click on the "Confessions of a Walmart Hitman" clip. Very disturbing! Not only are they hurting the middle class..they are taking advantage of the poor! This really has me annoyed and I will not be shopping there anymore...I use to spend close to $500.00/month easy at their stores. I'm researching alternative shopping places. Anyone have any insight on Target? Or are they just as bad?

Old 07-27-2008, 08:33 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,955,051 times
Do you remember hearing about the case recently where they were making that poor woman who worked for them pay back 6 figures of money they paid out for insurance while she was an employee? If not, I'll post the link. (I have to find it and I'm in a rush! ) but they FINALLY did the right thing, but only after LOTS of bad publicity. I'll post more later. I can't stand Walmart. It's really not the company that it started out as.

Target is not as bad, thank God, because I'd die if I had to give up my Target fix. LOL

C ya later!

Old 07-27-2008, 08:34 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,955,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
MPBsr I'm glad we agree on Wal-Mart

Old 07-27-2008, 08:35 AM

Urgh!!!!!!!!!!! This is so sad..this poor family!

Video: Wal-Mart Sues Brain-Damaged Employee (http://walmart.bravenewfilms.org/blog/33816-wal-mart-sues-brain-damaged-employee - broken link)

Old 07-27-2008, 09:36 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,692,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Urgh!!!!!!!!!!! This is so sad..this poor family!

Video: Wal-Mart Sues Brain-Damaged Employee (http://walmart.bravenewfilms.org/blog/33816-wal-mart-sues-brain-damaged-employee - broken link)

If this is the one who's been hit by the truck, the case was settled awhile ago, I believe.

I believe the reason why Wal-Mart sued her is because she was double-dipping.

The problem with the internet now is that anyone with a video camera and an editing program can make videos. And skew them any way they want. (Loose Change, anyone?)

There are always two sides to every story. It's up to you to make the decision about research.

The only thing I shop at Wal-Mart for is their photo developing. They have a nice FUJI matte process that I like a lot. When we sent our our thank you cards from our wedding, Wal-Mart helped us cut up over 150 wallet size pictures to include in the cards. That was good customer service.

Other than that, Wal-Mart's a disaster and I like Target a lot better.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:58 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,391,239 times
I'm currently about 1/3 of the way through a book called "The Small-mart Revolution", which delves into why these corporate giants in all industries are not good for our economy. The problem is, many people think that there is no alternative and that you can't compete with these companies. Fortunately, reality says that you can if you're smart about how you do it. So far the book is very good- I'll post more once I finish it.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:00 AM

1,706 posts, read 3,310,482 times
Where the choice is available, Wal-mart can take the lower rung. There are many places where there is no competition, just Wal-mart. I can't help but think either that those who work there need the jobs. I think Wal-mart is a poor excuse for American enterprise, but for those who have nothing else and need the job, it offers a balancing point between financial liquidity and disaster.
Perhaps like the law, Wal-mart needs to be re-vamped. I would anticipate they will be ratcheting down soon, given market trends.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:08 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,718,970 times
Very interesting reading. I never knew how disgruntled and mistreated Wal-Mart employees were until I was at the Secaucus location last year.

I needed a new cooler and saw that Wal-Mart was selling those huge rolling Igloo coolers on sale for 25 dollars. I snagged one and it kept ringing up at the original 40 dollar price, so I went back to sporting goods to get the sign that said it was on sale. After several attempts to scan the sale price bar code, the cashier ended up selling that cooler to me for 5 dollars...that's right, 5 dollars. Her reason for this? "They don't pay me enough to care".

I should have done the right thing and paid the 25 dollars, but I didn't and walked out of the store with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey