Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 11:20 PM

303 posts, read 752,745 times

Advertisements

I'm from Jersey City and live rite next to Union City n have to go to Newark on occasion. Jersey City n Newark Are almost exactly the same, in crime Newark beats Jersey City by a bit because all of Newak is bad n Most of Jersey City i bad with some safe areas. And only a small section of union City is bad and its the part closest to me. Union City is hispanic Jersey City very diverse n Newark is predomietnly black with spanish n whites. Paterson is occasionally bad Elizabeth not really . Liden hell no n Irvington not really But Jersey CIty n Newark r the worst out of the list. But you should stil move to Jersey city, it still is a GREAT city juss never walk with ur head down when you see somebody believe me it will get u around with no problems. and of course DON'T go in the projects unless u wanna die or lookin 2 buy guns or want some crack real quick believe me

Old 10-12-2008, 10:35 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,635,194 times
^^^ Errr... Two words JC, syntax and spelling.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:41 AM

2 posts, read 5,322 times
I grew up down the port Elizabeth...........waterfront.
Bad area if you do not know the people!

Moved to Linden at 17 years of age and thought I was in heaven.
After purchasing a pizzeria on N. Wood Ave and having the experience of delivering to Chandlier Avenue my eyes were opened......
Sunnyside area of Linden is great, Main strip in Linden is fine but St. Geogre Area is comparative to mild areas of Elizabeth.

*the Portuguese area of Newark is not nearly as bad as the other side of the tracks.....

Last edited by Mamacats; 10-13-2008 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-16-2008, 08:32 PM

111 posts, read 319,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC1990 View Post
I'm from Jersey City and live rite next to Union City n have to go to Newark on occasion. Jersey City n Newark Are almost exactly the same, in crime Newark beats Jersey City by a bit because all of Newak is bad n Most of Jersey City i bad with some safe areas. And only a small section of union City is bad and its the part closest to me. Union City is hispanic Jersey City very diverse n Newark is predomietnly black with spanish n whites. Paterson is occasionally bad Elizabeth not really . Liden hell no n Irvington not really But Jersey CIty n Newark r the worst out of the list. But you should stil move to Jersey city, it still is a GREAT city juss never walk with ur head down when you see somebody believe me it will get u around with no problems. and of course DON'T go in the projects unless u wanna die or lookin 2 buy guns or want some crack real quick believe me
Irvington not really bad? Irvington is up there with Camden now! So far this year Irvington has about 24 murders (population of only 58,921)and there is still over two months left in the year. Irvington could easily be the next murder capitol.

Check out this it compares Camden and Irvington. Keep in mind Irvington had 21 murders for this compared to 24 so far for 2008 not to mention crime is up over all over there.
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, link removed

Last edited by Yac; 11-14-2008 at 05:22 AM..

Old 10-20-2008, 11:17 AM

89 posts, read 689,979 times
If i remember correctly, I do believe hearing that Irvington had gotten so bad it had to have the national guard and state police come in to help since the gang wars have gotten out of hand. I just read that it is actually WORSE than Camden murder wise. There were more murders there than in any city in NJ, but since the population of Camden is higher, statistically is has "more" crimes than irvington. Technically Irvington should be #1 most dangerous city in NJ.

Disclaimer!:

I have never actually been to Irvington in recent years. This info is based on what I've heard from some peeps I know in the Newark area and some statistical info on the web.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,938 times
I guess I'll add some perspective as I've worked in Irvington for almost 2 years now and lived (still) do in Union City for almost 15 years. I'm essentialy 10 feet away from Bergenline avenue and I can count on one hand the amount of crimes I've seen witnessed here. Nothing, absolutely nothing happens here in terms of crime asides from minor drug related issues. There was one murder I heard of a few years back..but that was about it.

Bergenline is essentially what makes this city run; it has everything..and I mean everything. There's a ton of really good restaurants/deli's, good clothing stores (I don't shop here much) schools supermarkets, and theaters are all within walking distance. I don't like living in seclusion so I don't mind the busy streets, if crowds scare you..then stay the hell away. I didn't realize U.C was considered a bad area, it's really not. The only downside here honestly, is not knowing Spanish. I can barely speak it, but I manage to get around fine (in terms of ordering food and such) simple English works with those who can't speak English well, it's a very good place for kids because of the ridiculous amounts of schools/daycare centers located here.

Irvington is a whole different species. In short; it sucks, a lot and it's full of shady/sketchy people. Within the last four months, there were three murders (I work in a shopping district and the murders occurred a few minutes away in isolated areas which are just barren) The older people here are a lot worse than the younger kids (high school/college students) It's a very bad area and I don't recommend anyone living here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhiskey View Post
If i remember correctly, I do believe hearing that Irvington had gotten so bad it had to have the national guard and state police come in to help since the gang wars have gotten out of hand. I just read that it is actually WORSE than Camden murder wise. There were more murders there than in any city in NJ, but since the population of Camden is higher, statistically is has "more" crimes than irvington. Technically Irvington should be #1 most dangerous city in NJ.

Disclaimer!:

I have never actually been to Irvington in recent years. This info is based on what I've heard from some peeps I know in the Newark area and some statistical info on the web.
I can vouch for this. As we speak there's about three police cars stationed right outside my store directing traffic (they pull over a driver every 10 minutes or so for making illegal U-turns and such, even crossing the streets is unsafe) There's also a few drug spots right around the block.

Last edited by teknetic123; 10-26-2008 at 12:37 PM..

Old 10-29-2008, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,896 times
So what areas are recommended in Central and Northern Jersey that can be an easy commute to NYC and have decent rental rates (ie. $1000/studio)???

Old 10-29-2008, 03:28 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,461,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankdance21 View Post
So what areas are recommended in Central and Northern Jersey that can be an easy commute to NYC and have decent rental rates (ie. $1000/studio)???
Try linden or Rahway

Old 10-30-2008, 09:14 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,151,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Some people were saying it's bad. That's why I am asking for the truth, I am not from the area and the info I've heard is all over the place.
There's not a true statement about whether a place is bad or not--that's necessarily an opinion.

It's also important to clarify just what we're referring to with "bad".

And if you're talking about crime, it's easy enough to look up crime statistics, including right here on City-Data. There's no need to ask folks about that, as they're not going to give you more accurate statistics than the statistics pages are. The statistics themselves do not equate to bad or good, however. It depends on what makes something bad or good to you. If merely having a high crime rate per the statistics would be sufficient to make a place bad to you, then it should be easy to get an answer for yourself. Otherwise, again, you'd need to clarify better what you might be asking about.

Last edited by Tungsten_Udder; 10-30-2008 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: typo--what else?

Old 10-30-2008, 09:24 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,151,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Because it is. Union City has a very large illegal immigrant population, because of this, a lot of crime goes unreported. (Illegal Immigrants tend to not not call the police.)
What would be your means of getting statistics about how many illegal immigrants are crime victims then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey