Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 12:04 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,954,333 times

Advertisements

Hackensack is not all that bad for an Urban center in NJ either. It's got a small section that's a little rough, and it's not suburban dream schools or anything, but it's not a bad town.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:21 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,575,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I NEVER said they were bad!!! Let me break it down CARE-FUL-LY so that nobody else missunderstands my list.

1.) The cities that I listed are the ONLY URBAN areas in NJ that I've visited, regardless if they are ghetto or not.

2.) I ranked them from worst (the top of the list) to best (the bottom of the list). This means, that out of all the urban areas in NJ that I've visited; Hoboken, New Brunswick, West NY, and Perth Amboy are the best (IMO) and Camden, Irvington, Newark, and East Orange are among the worst I've visited (again, IMO). Everything else falls in-between.

I got you.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:13 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,985,474 times
This list is a combination of violent crime (murder, assault, robbery, etc) and property crime (getting your car, bike, laptop, etc stolen).

Why didn't you include any suburban towns or other cities so we can have some context for the list? Without some place perceived as safe to compare it to this really means nothing except to say that Linden has half the crime of Jersey City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguylehigh View Post
In an effort to add some objective information to the discussion (all info from city-data)

Crime index (higher is more crime) US Average 323.2

Jersey City: 509.0
Elizabeth: 432.6
Paterson: 480.0
Linden: 271.1
Irvington: 973.6 (not a typo)
Union City: 294.3

And finally:

Newark: 590.8

So, by going off of this data, only Irvington is "more" than Newark, with Jersey and Paterson being in the ballpark, followed by Elizabeth, Union City and Linden in this order.

So in this collection of towns, it looks as though Linden is the safest, although in this company that is all relative.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:21 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,047,268 times
It seems to me that so many people on this board are scared of black and latino people even if they are cities with not as much crime. Just because you move into a more "white" town doesn't guarantee your safety either. Stop scaring people off.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:07 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,575,322 times
Is there anybody on this forum who live in the "bad" areas of these towns that either think it is over hype or feel completley safe? Also, is there anybody on here that live in these "bad" areas and feel it lives up to the hype and feel unsafe? Or anybody live in so called "good" areas and feel like it is very similar to those bad areas or that it is over hyped as a good area when it is just as safe or as dangerous as the bad areas?

Old 09-01-2008, 02:10 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,047,268 times
I live in West new York and I've never felt unsafe there. I've never felt unsafe in Union City or most areas of Jersey City either. There are only a few areas of Jersey city I wouldn't feel too safe. As long as you keep to your self in these neighborhoods and don't mix with the criminal aspect of it, do drugs, hang out with the gangs, then I think you're pretty safe.

Living in WNy you're only 15 minutes away from the city, major highways, and stores. At least you get to play less rent and have more money for fun. The areas on River Road in WNY have now become ridiculously expensive. I can't justify paying 3.5 million for a condo on the Hudson. Let me tell you that people paying that are stupid because years ago when I was a kid, all that area was swamp, rats, and garbage. Nasty

I've never experienced most of Newark, Irvington, or Camden so I can't

Old 09-01-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
It seems to me that so many people on this board are scared of black and latino people even if they are cities with not as much crime. Just because you move into a more "white" town doesn't guarantee your safety either. Stop scaring people off.
Raven, it's not because of fear of non "white" people. That's really a silly statement. I grew up in Jersey City and lived in Union City and North Bergen myself. My husband grew up in UC and West New York. I was married in St. Joe's. I know the neighborhood very well.

I have friends who are in law enforcement and work for the city in UC and WNY and JC... none would reccommend moving there. And they ARE not white people themselves.

While it's not as bad (crime wise) as say Irvington, there is a lot of gang activity now and it's not terribly safe anymore. Especially for a new comer that won't know the ins and outs.

I for one LIKE diversity... a lot. I just don't like high crime.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:52 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,899,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Is there anybody on this forum who live in the "bad" areas of these towns that either think it is over hype or feel completley safe? Also, is there anybody on here that live in these "bad" areas and feel it lives up to the hype and feel unsafe? Or anybody live in so called "good" areas and feel like it is very similar to those bad areas or that it is over hyped as a good area when it is just as safe or as dangerous as the bad areas?
I don't live in Elizabeth yet but I've worked there for 3 years. Much like someone wrote about Paterson, the areas do change from one street to the next. As I've been looking for apartments my friends who know the city inform me about specific streets (even down the the blocks of the street). I have a child and would not consider moving to the city if I didn't believe that she would be safe. However, I know that in my classroom I have students that have had relatives that have been shot, stabbed or are in prison. It truly stunned me how prevalent the stories of violence are amongst third graders.

Specifically, I do feel safer on some streets than others.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:07 AM

505 posts, read 1,762,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
This list is a combination of violent crime (murder, assault, robbery, etc) and property crime (getting your car, bike, laptop, etc stolen).

Why didn't you include any suburban towns or other cities so we can have some context for the list? Without some place perceived as safe to compare it to this really means nothing except to say that Linden has half the crime of Jersey City.
Sure, I will add some places that I am familiar with in Morris and Sussex for reference.

Dover, NJ (Morris): 188.9
Madison, NJ (Morris): 73.9
Chester, NJ (Morris): 81.0
Rockaway, NJ (Morris): 68.8
Newton, NJ (Sussex): 83.9
Hackettstown, NJ (Warren): 131.1

That gives you a pretty diverse field of towns in Northwest Jersey.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
I don't live in Elizabeth yet but I've worked there for 3 years. Much like someone wrote about Paterson, the areas do change from one street to the next. As I've been looking for apartments my friends who know the city inform me about specific streets (even down the the blocks of the street). I have a child and would not consider moving to the city if I didn't believe that she would be safe. However, I know that in my classroom I have students that have had relatives that have been shot, stabbed or are in prison. It truly stunned me how prevalent the stories of violence are amongst third graders.

Specifically, I do feel safer on some streets than others.
That's the way in any city, NYC included...but how safe are you really if you walk 2 blocks away and you are no longer safe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey