Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 07:44 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times

Advertisements

The issue is not that they are orthodox. It is the sect that they belong to. Many Orthodox are living in mainstream America. The people of Lakewood would not be considered as "mainstream" as they are outsiders by choice. Actually they have created a new environment for themselves in which they are now the insiders. As far as I know they have done it legally. It does say something about our system which is hard to spin as positive when you look at what has happened in that town. But they are working within the system and they are building a community for themselves so I will not judge them for that. I really don't have any comment on a situation where you are not allowed to look at a stranger. Too strange for me.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Don't worry, Lakewood is one of the safest and cleanest towns in the Atlantic region. Check all th information you can online. Jews are a good community subsidary.
This makes no sense at all.
But I can agree that it is safe at least- then again so is most of that area.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:36 PM

91 posts, read 477,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
The issue is not that they are orthodox. It is the sect that they belong to. Many Orthodox are living in mainstream America. The people of Lakewood would not be considered as "mainstream" as they are outsiders by choice. Actually they have created a new environment for themselves in which they are now the insiders. As far as I know they have done it legally. It does say something about our system which is hard to spin as positive when you look at what has happened in that town. But they are working within the system and they are building a community for themselves so I will not judge them for that. I really don't have any comment on a situation where you are not allowed to look at a stranger. Too strange for me.
I agree with you that they have methodically and legally (on the most part)
taken over the town.
I have nothing against Hacidic Jews, or any of the Ultra orthodox Jews in Lakewood. (of course the Walmart and Shoprite issue still stands!)
I just stated that they are the majority population of Lakewood and have turned it into their way or the highway kind of town.
People on this forum need to be informed of the demographics of towns that are hundreds of miles away from them.

Old 04-19-2007, 03:54 PM

73 posts, read 202,293 times
Default Not Cheaper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrencevilleGA View Post
"Don't worry, Lakewood is one of the safest and cleanest towns in the Atlantic region"
???? Are you crazy?
Certainly it is not. It used to be, I'd say cleaner, 15 years ago. Until the takeover is complete, Lakewood will be corrupt.
The public schools are closing! What more must be said?
People in charge of Lakewood (and I'm not necc. talking about the politicians) have a master plan that started decades ago.
Unless you are an Orthodox Jew, Lakewood is not a very good place to live.
This forum is to used by many ppl from out of state. The only thing they see is lower cost real estate (in some instances) and wonder how. Jackson, Howell, Wall, many parts of Toms River are high priced. Why is this little town called Lakewood cheaper to live in, they may ask.
Lakewood, has the highest realestate value in the region. Check any informative source you like!

Old 04-19-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Impressions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrencevilleGA View Post

Another silly post in my opinion.
Comparing a NY City street to the aisle in(dirtiest) Walmart (in America) is just plain silly.
In Walmart (Howell) and Shoprite (Lakewood) you have a near certain chance of being bumped into numerous times by a Hacid woman with her 5 or 6 kids. Do they apologize? They are not allowed to talk to me, so how can they? Not that they would.
Of course this post will prob. be deleted because how dare we bring out any negative opinions of a majority minority religion in Lakewood. It's anti-semetic!
As for them moving into Howell. Believe me when I tell you they are looking at every angle poss. to do the same that they did to Lakewood 25+ years ago.
I think I will have to visit the area to get a better angle on your impressions. I do have dealings with a few Jews, (one is Orthodox), however, in comparison to other minority groups living in the U.S., I would rate them towards the top. Based on those whom I know.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:41 PM

91 posts, read 477,067 times
I would go so far as to say that the ones that are moving down from NY city are very friendly and will talk to the Gentiles.
It's almost night and day between the long time residents of Lakewood and the newer, younger group that is moving down to Jersey.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 6,354 times
Default LHS - NOT Sold

Get Your Facts Straight....lakewood High School Has Not Been Sold!

Several Years Ago, The School Was In Financial Defict...why? One Of The Many Reasons - Courtesy Busing. The District Generated Revenue By Selling A Tract Of Land Adjacent To The Middle School Next To The Softball Field.

As A Result, People Continue To Claim That The School Has Been Sold.

I Am Former Member Of The Community And Teach In The School District. I Am Familiar With The Politics Of The Town And Know Several Members Of The Non Jewish Community That Attend Township, Planning Board, Zoning Board, And Board Of Education Meetings...this Information Is Completly Not True.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:23 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,908,193 times
Default Teach me

I'm curious about this Ultra Orthodox Jewish culture. What are their views on the outsiders?

From my personal experience, I find them to be rude & miserable.

I have held doors open and smiled, to UOJ women with strollers to receive nothing in return. It's like I'm not even there. Or worse yet, like I'm dirt. Never a smile of the womens face. They glare or turn their back to you. I'm a friendly person & I like to chat with other shoppers. What is their problem?
Same day, I tried again. Waiting in line at The Gap, I turned to see the most precious little girl with big blue eyes and a head full of curls. I could not resist complimenting her Parents on the beauty of their baby. "Oh what a beautiful little girl you have, is she about 2?" I said with my smiling and friendly face. Both parents stared at me blankly, then turned away. I was hurt. Was this necessary? Is this what their God teaches them? How could they know that my husband and I were praying for a little girl of our own. All I could have gotten was a kind word or a smile and my day would not have been ruined.
I am non-jew so I am dirt? I don't exist? Do they think they are better than the rest of us? I think not. Because unlike them, I'll continue to be friendly, I'll continue to make courtsey conversation with them, and in the end, I'm the better person. I am NewHome HAPPY damit

Old 04-26-2007, 03:42 PM

Red face Shy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
I'm curious about this Ultra Orthodox Jewish culture. What are their views on the outsiders?

From my personal experience, I find them to be rude & miserable.

I could not resist complimenting her Parents on the beauty of their baby. "Oh what a beautiful little girl you have, is she about 2?" I said with my smiling and friendly face. Both parents stared at me blankly, then turned away. I was hurt. Was this necessary? Is this what their God teaches them? How could they know that my husband and I were praying for a little girl of our own. All I could have gotten was a kind word or a smile and my day would not have been ruined.
I am non-jew so I am dirt? I don't exist? Do they think they are better than the rest of us? I think not. Because unlike them, I'll continue to be friendly, I'll continue to make courtsey conversation with them, and in the end, I'm the better person. I am NewHome HAPPY damit
Perhaps they realized that you could not "resist" - so they became overprotective?

From a few relationships that I have had with orthodox Jews, I realized that religion and family are the two most highly important and private items on life's menu. They were probably just trying to avoid involving something that they deem as "No Trespassing" - and would prefer not to be noticed for.! - Try complementing them on any other item and see as they gosh with enthusiasm. -Of course depending on personality.

As far as interaction with their woman - I basically gave up. I know that they are very religiously stringent in this area. Hold the door open for a man - if you're a man, or a woman - if you're a woman - it might work. - This is based on my corporate office “know how”

As a whole, based on costumers, clients and constituents, the orthodox are more shy then anything else. Once they warm-up they are a friendly group.

I have older relatives near Lakewood, and have visited a few times. I will do hands-on investigative observation the next time I’m up there.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Perhaps they realized that you could not "resist" - so they became overprotective?

From a few relationships that I have had with orthodox Jews, I realized that religion and family are the two most highly important and private items on life's menu. They were probably just trying to avoid involving something that they deem as "No Trespassing" - and would prefer not to be noticed for.! - Try complementing them on any other item and see as they gosh with enthusiasm. -Of course depending on personality.

I have older relatives near Lakewood, and have visited a few times. I will do hands-on investigative observation the next time I’m up there.
Hands on what?
This is not a matter of a group of people simply being orthodox. Many orthodox do not share these characteristics. There are groups that are out of the mainstream and this community is home to one of them.

Do these people a favor and try not to see them as some kind of science project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey