Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:58 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,002 times

Advertisements

NJ is hardly emptying out. When it does, let me know, I'll move back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 05:35 PM

137 posts, read 522,519 times
It's the property tax which is killing us.
Home rule -> higher property tax -> high rent and high business overhead -> stores close much faster in NJ than other states

Cost per student here: $12K
Cost per student in the even-more-expensive (and higher SAT score) Silicon Valley: $5K
R town and D town - both have high tax
Home rule is the main cause for high property tax, not political party

However, it seems that no one wants to give up home rule in NJ.
It has been proven by Bret Schundler's loss to Jim McGreevey in 2001 governor race.
And proven by numerous votes - towns refused to merge.

Powerful unions looking to protect their own interests - they are the one who control this state (and control my financial freedom).
(They are so powerful I don't even dare to mention their names in this post.)
Crooks in both parties sucking blood from public funds by awarding contracts to cronies.
People here don't want to change home rule.
People here kind of accept the fact that it's ok to have no money left year after year after paying all thses taxes.
And many people here have the attitude like "if you don't like it (or can't afford it), leave!" (I bet you have seen it a lot in here.)
Then how can you possibly start a constructive conversation with people (e.g. my spouse) about change? You can't.
Sadly, the only way to fight the 27% increase of property tax bill is to change your state address altogether.

So here we are, bounded in modern economic slavery.
I am staying only because of family. And I like the fact that people here are friendly, cool and non-judgmental. But don't know how long I can hang on.

Last edited by lwnj; 03-11-2009 at 06:41 PM..

Old 03-17-2009, 03:49 PM

49 posts, read 124,129 times
lwnj

Great Post, I think it says it all.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:58 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times
Kind of accept it or more like- kind of accept that they are powerless. Talking to your spouse is not going to be enough unless your spouse is I don't know........you fill in the blank.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:14 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
NJ is run, not by Democrats nor Republicans. It is strictly a "Family" operation and nobody is going to change that.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:27 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times
Not really.
The family are the dems and the repubs.
That is true in other places as well.
The two parties are a facade in many places.
You would think people would know.
If it changes at all it will have to come from up high and then be followed by a huge revolt or groundswell from below.
Up high does not mean from Trenton.
I have posted the same thing on the NY board. Up high does not mean Albany.
Hopefully people will start catching on.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:29 PM

392 posts, read 1,539,352 times
We need some of the ridiculous amounts of small towns to merge. We have so many mayors and city councils in NJ eating up tax dollars, it's insane.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:07 PM

4,180 posts, read 5,061,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ987654 View Post
We need some of the ridiculous amounts of small towns to merge. We have so many mayors and city councils in NJ eating up tax dollars, it's insane.
you get the kewpie doll !

it's so true, "home rule" is what drives property taxes.

county gov't is superfluous.

alas, if your mayor has a last name that ends in a vowel, you're screwed

Old 03-17-2009, 06:17 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,538 times
you know what gets me about towns and taxes is this. i live in aberdeen my taxes are about 7500 for a small 976 square ft home.1 bath 2 small bedrooms. 50x50 lot. the house is about 80 years old not many improvements. siding,maybe some new kitchen cabinets. ok.. so we pay school taxes, garbage.and leaf pick up. so i've noticedin the last 2 years aberdeen has 2 new suv's.. one is mid size and the other bigger. the bigger one they just got like 2 months ago,it has police on it and then in BIG letters it says"SUPERVISOR"... WHY!!!!!!why does a supervisor get a huge truck to drive around in and patrol? a car is not good enough.i want to know why? anyone? to me that is waste of money,thats where my tax money is going...

Old 03-17-2009, 06:37 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ987654 View Post
this is definitely one reason. just yesterday (or the day before) in the daily record, there was an article that morristown and morris township won't be merging (b/c of morris township's reluctance - morris township being the wealthier of the 2, of course). NIMBY at its finest - let the onus be on the other guy to drive my (generic my) property taxes down.

these days it's "ask not what i can do for my state, but what my state can do for me", LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey