Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:58 PM

82 posts, read 396,539 times

Advertisements

whats the "bad" area's just curious to what ppl say, im from the area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 09:26 PM

786 posts, read 2,663,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonutz nj View Post
whats the "bad" area's just curious to what ppl say, im from the area
We go to both Linden and Elizabeth, and at least in the daylight, they seem like any other normal urbanized towns/cities here in NJ. I know both have rich histories and very beautiful old architecture, especially Elizabeth.

Welcome to the Historical Society of Elizabeth

Roselle just had a couple murders though the last couple months; one that store clerk who got robbed and another one which I can't remember the specifics (oh, yeah, i remember, it wasn't murder, some cops shot an unarmed guy, the guy lived). We have walked through parts of Roselle though (on the way to quality auto center on north ave), and felt safe; kinda urbanized, with lots of stores and old industrial buildings.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:00 PM

20 posts, read 82,130 times
Elizabeth and Roselle have very bad areas. the rest of Union Cnty is ok IMHO!!

Old 04-30-2009, 02:51 AM

Ill tell you what I know

ill start wit the first "bad town" of union county

Plainfield - any street with a number (mostly 2nd to 8th street and East Front Street) The entire city area of Plainfield is real real bad. Anything outside the Main city area is ok.

Scotch Plains, Clark, and Westfield are absolutely great area's however they are known to have one or two shady looking area's and rumored to have a "bad" street or two believe it or not. I dont know much about that maybe someone with info could let me know.

Colonia / Avenel - Not bad areas, has some slight problems. Heard the route 1&9 area is the "bad" part of those two towns. The only thing ive seen there is alot of graffiti (anyone with more info let me know).

Carteret - Has some problems, actually had a murder here and there, maybe one or two a year, three the most. Dont know the "bad" parts of town (anyone with more info let me know).

Rahway - used to live there, the town overall is fair. Some very nice homes. However stay clear of anything in the city area and to the east of main street towards route 1&9. Thats where most of the crime takes place that gives rahway its popularity.

Im not even going to list towns like Winfield, Garwood, Crandford, Kenilworth, and Roselle Park I know those area's most of all and they are great communities no crime at all. The one thing that is definatley wrong with them is massive drug problems that nobody admits Especially Winfield and Kenilworth. However I wouldnt hang around Westfield ave in Roselle Park at night, honestly that would be were most of RP's "problems" are.

Linden - The main crime is on the Roselle, Elizabeth border. The crime peak area is the east St. George Ave area across to East Elizabeth Ave and up Route 1&9. When I think of bad parts of linden I think of East Baltimore Ave, Fay Ave, and route 1&9. East Baltimore ave is soo Ghetto looking its nicknammed "Crack Alley".

Roselle - Fair neighboorhood wit a couple very Dangerous sections which definatley gives reason to why people compare it to elizabeth. We all know the bad parts of Roselle. 1st 2nd and 3rd Street are definatley bad (For those that dont know that's the area just out of Roselle Park near the Wendy's and the CVS) and the worst is East St.George Ave and the streets sorrounding it. Roselle had a murder recently my friend knew the guy.

Union - A very good neighborhood with a couple not soo nice areas and one Bad area. The Vauxhall area which is technically is like a town within a town (it has its own postal adress) its the worst section of Union. The corner of Morris Ave and Stuyvesant Ave is not soo nice I know someone that works there, it also borders Hillside

Hillside - Hillside has like one nice area I would say 65% of the town is BAD especially Newark Border.

Elizabeth - Elmora is supposedly ok hahah other than that Elizabeth is the worst part of Union County. Murder, heavy crime, robberies. The port and East Jersey Street used to be the worst section feel free to share opinions.

Last edited by Gonutz nj; 04-30-2009 at 03:01 AM..

Old 04-30-2009, 06:17 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,197,793 times
Gonuts, thanks for the posts. You seem to have a good handle on the social climate of several of the nj cities.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:38 AM

273 posts, read 684,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonutz nj View Post
Ill tell you what I know

ill start wit the first "bad town" of union county

Plainfield - any street with a number (mostly 2nd to 8th street and East Front Street) The entire city area of Plainfield is real real bad. Anything outside the Main city area is ok.

Scotch Plains, Clark, and Westfield are absolutely great area's however they are known to have one or two shady looking area's and rumored to have a "bad" street or two believe it or not. I dont know much about that maybe someone with info could let me know.

Colonia / Avenel - Not bad areas, has some slight problems. Heard the route 1&9 area is the "bad" part of those two towns. The only thing ive seen there is alot of graffiti (anyone with more info let me know).

Carteret - Has some problems, actually had a murder here and there, maybe one or two a year, three the most. Dont know the "bad" parts of town (anyone with more info let me know).

Rahway - used to live there, the town overall is fair. Some very nice homes. However stay clear of anything in the city area and to the east of main street towards route 1&9. Thats where most of the crime takes place that gives rahway its popularity.

Im not even going to list towns like Winfield, Garwood, Crandford, Kenilworth, and Roselle Park I know those area's most of all and they are great communities no crime at all. The one thing that is definatley wrong with them is massive drug problems that nobody admits Especially Winfield and Kenilworth. However I wouldnt hang around Westfield ave in Roselle Park at night, honestly that would be were most of RP's "problems" are.

Linden - The main crime is on the Roselle, Elizabeth border. The crime peak area is the east St. George Ave area across to East Elizabeth Ave and up Route 1&9. When I think of bad parts of linden I think of East Baltimore Ave, Fay Ave, and route 1&9. East Baltimore ave is soo Ghetto looking its nicknammed "Crack Alley".

Roselle - Fair neighboorhood wit a couple very Dangerous sections which definatley gives reason to why people compare it to elizabeth. We all know the bad parts of Roselle. 1st 2nd and 3rd Street are definatley bad (For those that dont know that's the area just out of Roselle Park near the Wendy's and the CVS) and the worst is East St.George Ave and the streets sorrounding it. Roselle had a murder recently my friend knew the guy.

Union - A very good neighborhood with a couple not soo nice areas and one Bad area. The Vauxhall area which is technically is like a town within a town (it has its own postal adress) its the worst section of Union. The corner of Morris Ave and Stuyvesant Ave is not soo nice I know someone that works there, it also borders Hillside

Hillside - Hillside has like one nice area I would say 65% of the town is BAD especially Newark Border.

Elizabeth - Elmora is supposedly ok hahah other than that Elizabeth is the worst part of Union County. Murder, heavy crime, robberies. The port and East Jersey Street used to be the worst section feel free to share opinions.

I didn't know those towns Winfield and Kenilworth have drug problems is that recent activity?

Old 04-30-2009, 10:30 AM

786 posts, read 2,663,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midagegirl View Post
I didn't know those towns Winfield and Kenilworth have drug problems is that recent activity?
He's probably talking about in the high schools? I've heard similar things about the surrounding towns.

Winfield kids go to Kenilworth HS looks like, just like Garwood kids go to Clark HS. Two small towns that should be absorbed (or invaded) into their larger neighbors probably.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:38 AM

273 posts, read 684,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
He's probably talking about in the high schools? I've heard similar things about the surrounding towns.

Winfield kids go to Kenilworth HS looks like, just like Garwood kids go to Clark HS. Two small towns that should be absorbed (or invaded) into their larger neighbors probably.

Oh I see what you mean thanks.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:50 AM

1,577 posts, read 5,686,203 times
Union, Kenilworth, Roselle Park, Springfield, and Parts of Rahway are ok.
Linden is ok too but it's still a little iffy along with Roselle and Hillside

Elizabeth isn't all that bad, but it still isn't all that great either.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midagegirl View Post
well, Im not going to say exactly how I know because I dont want to disclose exactly where Im located, but lets just say overall very fimiliar with both those areas, and yes its very bad. Not to the point where everyone is effected, but I am moving completley out of state because Im sick of it. Its bad enough that me and my fiance keep making new friends and we discover later that they have drug problems. I just recentley realized The drug scene in Nj is one of the worst in the nation, soo bad that suburbs are greatly effected. One of my best friends past away two years ago because of drugs and we grew up in a great town in Union County, one of the real good ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey