Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:12 AM

3 posts, read 8,498 times

Advertisements

the high rises and run down sections of Elizabeth.. or "eastwick" that border Newark = NOT THE SAME ELIZABETH as any other given section of Elizabeth! Its really a shame - Much like our high school, our entire town should be split a half dozen times. The truth is, anyone who has lived here long enough knows that Elizabeth is just enormous enough to be home to both strong lower class communities as well as plenty of middle class and even upper class Elizabethians.. and everyone knows that crime occurs in very isolated areas.. and its those same areas.. over and over again (as the poster above me will prove my point)

ALSO.. you are fooling yourself though to think that there is a single high school in this country that will not have readily available drugs from A to Z.. People hoping for otherwise always slay me. The only remedy to this is to have trust in your child through proper education - If anyone knows anything about back in the day, the "Straight Edge" culture was very active here anyway, quite ironically.

I went to Elizabeth High School all four years as a skinny jewish kid with a fro.. I never had a single thing happen to me and miss every single day looking forward to just walking through those doors - After college I feel like very few of my peers are as diverse, individualistic, and unique as my buddies from e-town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 05:15 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,554 times
Not to be negative, but I need to throw my two cents in here. The difference between Elizabeth now and the Elizabeth of 1999 or 1989 for that matter is the decline of three specific neighborhoods:

-- Elmora
-- Peterstown
-- Bayway

Nobody can say these neighborhoods are better now than they were 10 or 20 years ago. Downtown and Jefferson were crap then, and are still crap now. Elmora Hills and Westminster were great then, are still great now. As for Midtown and North Elizabeth, if you put a gun to my head, I'd probably say they're worse now, but not to the point where it would've affected the city if not for the decline in Elmora, Peterstown, and Bayway. It's the change in those three neighborhoods that has led to a decline in the city. IMHO.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:55 PM

52 posts, read 206,989 times
Im not even going to list towns like Winfield, Garwood, Crandford, Kenilworth, and Roselle Park I know those area's most of all and they are great communities no crime at all. The one thing that is definatley wrong with them is massive drug problems that nobody admits Especially Winfield and Kenilworth. However I wouldnt hang around Westfield ave in Roselle Park at night, honestly that would be were most of RP's "problems" are.

Winfield, Garwood, Cranford, Kenilworth and Roselle Park are your typical middle sclass neighborhoods. Not terribly high crime, typical amount of drugs - but no more than most towns. As for Westfield Ave at night - I've been there, not a big problem! But if you're talking about walking around by yourself late at night - I wouldn't do that in most towns in NJ! All of these towns have a wonderful sense of community - especially Cranford, Garwood and Kenilworth, but so does Linden and Rahway. They all do a lot for the residents with programs and festivals to keep the community spirit alive. I have family in Garwood, and I used to work there. It's a lovely, but very working class town. Cranford has the best township pools. I belong - and I don't even live in Cranford!

Old 03-21-2010, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,151 times
im looking into buying a home somewhat off vauxhall rd in union..it's in a great area..nice homes..but is that the vauxhall neighborhood? or does it run through the whole town practically.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:29 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,283 times
Vauxhall is just one section of Union by the gas stations new best buy down to maplewood etc. Vauxhall Road itself runs all the way down into Hillside but it is not vauxhall as far as I know. If it seems like a great area its probably not vauxhall.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:51 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,073,491 times
Vauxhall isn't too bad. There are definitely worse parts of the general area but at the same time, I'd recomend locking your doors and having an alarm if you know what I mean...

Old 03-22-2010, 04:29 PM

52 posts, read 196,141 times
How about the area near the Kean Graduate School campus (Nathan Weiss Graduate College)? The address is 215 North Avenue, Hillside, NJ. I'm probably going to be attending the school this fall and will have all evening classes (some ending at or after 10pm). Thanks!

Old 03-28-2010, 06:37 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,283 times
If I am not mistaken that is in Westminister, a very nice area of hillside.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,874 times
Does anyone know if Aldene Rd. Is a good street or located with a good area?

Old 04-14-2011, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You make it sound like you're going to get murdered driving through.
I'll admit there are some lock your door parts of town but so far, nothing has ever happened to me. I've driven through Plainfield many times, both in a car and on my motorcycle.

Westfield Ave is huge. I grew up practically on Westfield Ave; the Burger King, the trestle and the Gordon Street Bridge.

IMO, the biggest problem is probably the bars. You have how many bars on Westfield Ave? Then in Cranford over by Winfield Park/parkway entrance there's another bar.

I used to live on 2nd. The West side was always better then the East, there's always been problems on certain streets/sections.
Last time I was there was in 2005 - I didn't not feel safe, even at night we went to Chestnut street between 1st and 3rd.
I'd gone to the post office at one point, I will say it was a wake up call to see bullet proof glass.
Would I live there again? No.
I couldn't go back to that kind of living after living in South Jersey so long.
I don't know what you're talking about, the West end of Plainfield has never been better or safer then the East end. I've lived in Plainfield since I was 5years old. Plainfield has become progressively worse over the years. Most of the violent crimes happen on or near the West End of town. I lived on Brokaw Blvd. when we first came to Plainfield and then moved to East Front street near Terrill rd. Anything from Terrill Rd. to Leland ave. was and still is bliss. Now once you go past Leland ave. it starts to decline except 7th. and beyond where it stretches a little farther down. because pass 7th. street you get to the more expensive areas, sleepy hollow ect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey