Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 01:15 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster View Post
You know, that's kinda the definition
well, the blacks who have appeared in this thread seem to be making negative statements about whites. are they racists?

i think we can make judgements about groups of people without hating the groups.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:17 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k101608 View Post
Do you?

Why are you getting affended, just commenting on what I read. Some people have never lived in certain city and THEY make comments about it.
I clearly know more than you.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:20 PM

326 posts, read 1,301,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
I clearly know more than you.
Sure if you say so...
NEXT

Old 06-13-2009, 07:44 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,276,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
well, the blacks who have appeared in this thread seem to be making negative statements about whites. are they racists?
They are not (at least not the posts that I'm familiar with) making blanket judgments about "white people" in general.

On the other hand, you frequently make sweeping generalizations about black people (in fact you just made one in the above statement).

I lived in Newark for a year and wasn't "discriminated" against. Maybe there was some other reason why they didn't like you.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Oh please. Spare us the "they think" speech when you don't even have a clue who "they" are.
I don't think his comment is completely unfounded. Every time an urban area or a suburb with a large African American population is mentioned, there are a bunch of naysayers who pile on. This is not only true of high crime areas like downtown Newark, but also desirable urban neighborhoods that are anything less than homogeneous like downtown Jersey City and diverse suburbs like Teaneck.

There are people on this board who simply don't want to live near people who aren't like them.

This thread has certainly been effective in bringing some of them out of the woodwork. The originator's complete ignorance of elementary statistical concepts, combined with the fact that his "research" relies for the most part on statistics and not first hand experience, leads him to make many laughable claims about allegedly "dangerous" cities, and there is a tribe of dull-witted suburban bigots that is all too happy to cheer him on.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
They are not (at least not the posts that I'm familiar with) making blanket judgments about "white people" in general.

On the other hand, you frequently make sweeping generalizations about black people (in fact you just made one in the above statement).

I lived in Newark for a year and wasn't "discriminated" against. Maybe there was some other reason why they didn't like you.
my statements are no more blanketing than theirs are (from my perspective). they are talking about the whites that are afraid of them and im talking about the blacks who justify their fear. not all the blacks, but there is a good chance if you are in an all black area you will find some who wont welcome you.

everyone likes me. i may rub some people the wrong way here but generally speaking i am very nice to everybody in person. i deal with people of different ethnicities all the time and they wish they could get treated with such respect from their peers.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
my statements are no more blanketing than theirs are (from my perspective).
You posted:

That statement clearly refers to all the "blacks in this thread". looks pretty blanketing to me (how do you even know which posters are black and which are not ?). Can you cite a single post that any of them wrote, that refers to "all whites".

Quote:
they are talking about the whites that are afraid of them
yes, but they aren't referring to everyone.

Quote:
not all the blacks, but there is a good chance if you are in an all black area you will find some who wont welcome you.
The same applies to any group. Actually, you strike me as the type who wouldn't exactly "welcome" black people who moved into your neighborhood.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:59 PM

380 posts, read 709,529 times
Quote:
are the blacks pretending that they are sooo welcoming to whites when whites visit an all black area? please, thats BS. i guess its not politically correct to say so but whites can expect to be discriminated against in all black areas. i very rarely put myself in that position but i remember in the walmart in valley stream, ny the blacks made it clear that we werent welcome. i agreed with them, i told my wife that we are never to return there.
I did not read one single entry where anyone stated what their race was

Old 06-14-2009, 10:38 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
I'm convinced NJ is absolutely obsessed with the idea of the "ghetto". That is all we can ever talk about.
Meanwhile, NJ is one of the safer populated states.
How Jerseyites can be so sheltered is beyond me.
Get out of your bubble. Explore. You might find value in these cities & neighborhoods that petrify you so much.
I guarantee there are not gangs of marauding black men at the city limits waiting to stab, rape, shoot you & your precious family.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
yes, but they aren't referring to everyone.

The same applies to any group. Actually, you strike me as the type who wouldn't exactly "welcome" black people who moved into your neighborhood.
im not referring to everyone either. however, i say something using the word "black" and automatically im referring to every single one. they say "white" and its ok because they are only talking about the particular whites that they dont like (even though probably 80%+ of whites feel that way).

what do you mean by that? im not sure what kind of person you picture but im not some obnoxious guy with a tony soprano accident that tells black people to stay out of my neighborhood. i have a black family across the street from me. i am fine with them. however, they can do some damage to a neighborhood so you have to consider that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey