Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 07:23 PM

4 posts, read 17,873 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Keyport...Does anyone have any info?
I know it has a nice downtown area, as well as some undesirable areas.
What are the rumors about the town? Are they building it up? Should we bother? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 10:52 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
keyport is a lower income area, parts of it can be very nice and others have their problems, it is a classic old/small town with a downtown district that is getting killed by the newer strip malls. It has good access to the parkway, is close to buses to NY and fairly close to the Aberdeen train station, where parking is almost impossible to get. It is on the bay and has a nice harbor area, the schools are very so-so academically.

Without knowing your personal situation it is hard to advise on whether you should buy there or not. I can tell you that any sort of revitalization will be hard to accomplish, Keyport will never be Red Bank, that said, if you are ok with what you see then buy if you have dreams of it turning into a high end town, forget it, it's not going to happen in the near future.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:52 AM

4 posts, read 17,873 times
Any Word on the Broadway area? Flood Insurance?

Old 07-31-2007, 07:58 PM

7 posts, read 34,938 times
As a fourth generation Keyport resident I will try to give you a quick scoop on the borough! Keyport is not exactly what it once was! We dont have any really bad areas but stay away from Second Street for the most part. Our waterfront redevelopment which we waited thirty years for is nearly complete as are other infastructure improvements. Hovananian has just completed the townshomes on what had been an empty lot since 1962, when the towns famous hotel the, Raritan Inn, burned. Keyport is very political and many items of progress are bogged down by an incredibly large political machine for a tiny town. All in all the town is a good place to live however the illegal immigrant problem is out of control. We do have some wonderful restaraunts, Drews Bistro, McDonaghs Pub, and the Bulkhead Bar and Grill. Most people that move here dont leave despite our problems, they find that Keyport is about as close as you can get to the American small town without being 500 miles from a metropolitan area. By the way Broadway does not flood, maybe the tip in a 100 year storm but usually only roadways (W. Front & First Street Flood in high lunar tides). Hope that clears up some of your questions!!! Just being honest!

Old 08-04-2007, 01:36 AM

329 posts, read 1,442,372 times
Thumbs up Cute !

I find keyport to be a quaint, fishing type of town..a tad on the run-down side. But, it is cute. I like to walk into the shops and browse. I don't know the area well enough to comment on the politics or the crime but from what I see, it's a charming little town. It's also very convenirnt to the GSP which is always desireable. I hear it's also very affordable which anywhere near water in NJ is a huge plus. Best of Luck in your decision.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:05 AM

133 posts, read 713,001 times
Default Hazlet

Hazlet is 1 town over and a much nicer town...

Old 08-04-2007, 01:31 PM

329 posts, read 1,442,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by precator View Post
And Hazlet is more expensive. You don't say if you would be renting or buying, but I don't think Hazlet has too much in the way of rentals. Keyport, on the other hand does. I find the two towns to be very different even though close in proximity. Hazlet is very suburban, Keyport is older, and has more charm. If I were raising kids and had a good income, I would choose Hazlet. If I were single,starting out in life and wanted more of a funky town I would easily pick Keyport.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:18 PM

7 posts, read 34,938 times
Default Apples and Oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by precator View Post

I agree, Hazlet Twp. overall is a very nice community. Of course, Hazlet is a much larger Township and is technically not a town in the true sense of the word as compared to older villages such as Keyport. Hazlet is mostly a grouping of bi-levels, split levels and ranch houses, centered around giant developments, on a endless array of cul-de-sacs! Two state highways with lots of strip malls and no town center give Hazlet no real identity of their own (like most of suburban NJ) that appeared almost overnight between 1955 and 1980. It is the American suburban dream!!! Pleasant Valley Sunday at it's finest.

Of course I have to add that Hazlet is full of wonderful people, since I married a Raritan girl!

Old 09-03-2007, 07:47 AM

244 posts, read 1,050,315 times
Good thing you said we're fill of wonderful people.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:33 PM

22 posts, read 70,629 times
Default go for it

I lived in keyport for 4 yrs, Atlantic street to be exact, i liked it. no flooding, great neighbors, decent people. a place i felt comfortable walking around at night, street parking was safe,etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey