Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the right choice for New Mexico in 2010!
Susana Martinez - Republican 64 62.14%
Diane D. Denish - Democrat 39 37.86%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 07:07 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
20 years ago Williams said something stupid and insensitive. At the time, he recognized his insensitivity and apologized for doing so. Now, 20 years later, why should Martinez return money that he contributed to her campaign?

By the way, McCain cancelled the fundraiser at Williams' home, but kept the money that Williams had 'bundled' for his campaign.
Yes. Clayton Williams was at a gathering out in the country with several of his supporters, and it looked like it was going to rain.

So he said something to the effect that bad weather was sort of like rape, and if it was inevitable, just lie back and enjoy it.

Insensitive, stupid and non-political. He has a mouth on him, and he is NOT a politician. It got out so fast that it was on the news that night and in the paper the next morning.

I knew he was probably going to lose the election once that remark got out, and so he did.

BUT.....it was blown all out of proportion then, and that continues to this day. Why bring that old comment up now, after so many years. This was during the campaign for TX governor against Ann Richards.

They have never let him forget the gaffe, but they made it out to be much, much worse than it actually was.

As you noted, he did apologize for the remark, and they just keep hammering about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 07:24 PM

888 posts, read 1,186,959 times
Careers have been ruined over less.
A slip-of-the tongue, can slice deeper than a knife, you know?
His enemies and political adversaries, will continue to hammer him, until the end of time.............................................. ..............

Steve

Old 10-13-2010, 07:27 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,417,088 times
Santa Fe New Mexican blogpost now reports that Martinez says she will give the $20,000 donated to her campaign from Williams to a Las Cruces rape crisis center. Good choice, but too bad it came only after an outcry from the Denish campaign.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:50 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Santa Fe New Mexican blogpost now reports that Martinez says she will give the $20,000 donated to her campaign from Williams to a Las Cruces rape crisis center. Good choice, but too bad it came only after an outcry from the Denish campaign.
Because Denish is soooo good herself... she has taken money from pretty shady people too. She is not innocent. But Denish did it cause she is desperate for votes. She is down 9% with 3 weeks to go, hello!!!

Did anyone ever notice texas has a better job market than New Mexico. We actually need Texana Susana... she will create jobs here, she has the secret as to why Texas is kicking our ass!!
I BACK TEXANA SUSANA! Alot of my family is from texas, and got agrivated when Colon posted that ad about being from Texas.

What's wrong with "Tejanos" my dad said, they kick our ass for everything. And they sure do.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
This reported today (and no, I don't expect Martinez supporters to be troubled by it in the least):

Texas oilman who joked about rape is one of Martinez' biggest contributors
Oh for heaven's sake, that comment was made decades ago, it was meant in jist, not a good thing and he apolgized for it. In fact in probably cost him the election then. This is today, get over it. What about the comment Brown or one of his workers said about Meg Whitman last week? Is that different?

Nita

Old 10-14-2010, 12:36 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh for heaven's sake, that comment was made decades ago, it was meant in jist, not a good thing and he apolgized for it. In fact in probably cost him the election then. This is today, get over it. What about the comment Brown or one of his workers said about Meg Whitman last week? Is that different?

Nita
Here's an even better example, Nita, and since you live in Arkansas now, maybe you've heard of the name "Juanita Broaddrick". It's disgusting enough to joke about rape, how about actually performing the act, then, getting re-elected as President of the United States? If Martinez did donate the 20k to a rape shelter, that to me is the virtuous thing to do. But I definitely hold against a candidate keeping company with someone who would make such a joke. However, in the case of Bill Clinton, it seems that those who voted for him didn't hold him to the high standard they purport to hold Martinez to.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:52 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,450,786 times
There's a big difference between making a witnessed public comment about rape and being ACCUSED of it, but never proven to have done it. There was no report to the police, nothing said until 20 plus years after the alleged rape occurred.

I don't think the two are comparable.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:41 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,901 times
Today in Espanola only 550 attended the rally for Denish. (clinton)
70 Susana Martinez protestors. The town is divided or should I say My hometown.

The cuss and slander words flying everywhere.... It was bad! Really really bad.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:37 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
Let me get this straight.

Some people here are criticizing Susana Martinez for accepting a campaign contribution from someone from Texas who made a stupid remark many years ago and paid for it with his political career?

And Martinez is supposed to immediately know where all the contributions to her camapign are coming from ... and immediately make the decision to not accept the money?

And ... when she does find out, she donates every cent of the donation to a rape crisis center?

And some people here are finding fault with her over it?

This is nitpicking at its worst, people.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:02 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Let me get this straight.

Some people here are criticizing Susana Martinez for accepting a campaign contribution from someone from Texas who made a stupid remark many years ago and paid for it with his political career?

And Martinez is supposed to immediately know where all the contributions to her camapign are coming from ... and immediately make the decision to not accept the money?

And ... when she does find out, she donates every cent of the donation to a rape crisis center?

And some people here are finding fault with her over it?

This is nitpicking at its worst, people.
Yes. It is, all for political gain.

The comment he made is an old saying that I have heard all of my life from time to time.

It's just an old chauvinistic comment that makes you roll your eyes when you hear it, but it's just that...an old running "joke" if you will. It's not funny, but....

It just came out without his even thinking about it, and once I was trying to remember why it got out so fast--there may have been a local reporter with the group, probably out at a hunting camp or such.

And yes, it probably did cost him the election, but he's not a politician, and has never run for any political office again.

The fact that the Denish campaign is dragging up this old stuff makes them look sort of desperate...as well as stupid in the bargain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico