Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 02:34 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times

Advertisements

I used to pour the 505 over everything, nothing beats the fresh stuff. I did love Bueno's extra hot stuff but I cant get it in stores over here. We do have a few new mexican places open up that I need to try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 03:51 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Make sure it is the "roasted" green chile variety. Their regular green chile sauce is a little weird - kind of creamy or something. A little too much corn starch as a thickener - I don't know. However, they nailed it with the roasted - blue label.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:43 PM

209 posts, read 466,079 times
Oh no. It is not a trivial thing. There has to be a quantifiable reason for it. The stuff generates a true, salivating lust. Texture, seeds with pinpoint heat. Oh yes, bueno indeed.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:51 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I used to pour the 505 over everything, nothing beats the fresh stuff. I did love Bueno's extra hot stuff but I cant get it in stores over here. We do have a few new mexican places open up that I need to try.
It's not available in Houston? Wow. I didn't think there was anything you couldn't get in Houston.

Even my little WT backwater has it at both grocery stores! I love the XXTRA hot, too, but it's often sold out. I have to get the medium or hot and add serranos or jals to it for extra fire.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:31 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,245 times
In case anybody hasn't heard, Bueno issued a voluntary recall of all its frozen green chile products manufactured in 2013:

Bueno recall includes all of its frozen green chile from 2013 | ABQJournal Online

http://www.buenofoods.com/WebPressRelease.pdf

I personally used at least three tubs worth of their extra hot green chile from 2013. In fact, I still had a frozen tub I had bought last year in the freezer when this recall was issued last week. I debated trying to go about getting a refund for it and then I concluded it probably wasn't worth the hassle for just one tub that I got on sale for about two dollars. I still have it in the freezer and am debating whether to eventually use it or throw it away.

I do find the timing of this recall quite embarrassing for the state after all the hubub that was made the week prior over Denver's green chile claim.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:14 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
In case anybody hasn't heard, Bueno issued a voluntary recall of all its frozen green chile products manufactured in 2013
I saw the recall's, we have been using Bueno's products including the frozen green chile that was recalled. To make a long story short, the chile in question “when cooked in accordance with the product’s label instructions (keep frozen until used and cook to 165 degree's F) poses no health or safety risk...

Old 02-19-2014, 08:06 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
It's not available in Houston? Wow. I didn't think there was anything you couldn't get in Houston.

Even my little WT backwater has it at both grocery stores! I love the XXTRA hot, too, but it's often sold out. I have to get the medium or hot and add serranos or jals to it for extra fire.
I havent ventured beyond my local HEB which has fresh roasted which I froze so I havent looked. Now I have a hankering for it I may have to look.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:11 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I havent ventured beyond my local HEB which has fresh roasted which I froze so I havent looked. Now I have a hankering for it I may have to look.
Now I am even MORE surprised. I got Bueno frozen chile from either Walmart or HEB in Midland. I guess they (HEB) don't carry it in all markets, even in TX. I saw it all over Midland/Angelo/Alpine, etc.

I have no Bueno left--and I didn't get sick from any of it, even when I used it straight from the carton in a green chile omelet, which doesn't cook the chile that much.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:35 AM

120 posts, read 222,963 times
how hot is this, wouldn't you know scoville rating?? Im obv an outsider that stumbled across this thread. Im just wondering because I like peppers hotter the better. Never had green chile from NM. Do you guys use scorpion or ghost chiles too to intensify the heat?

Old 02-21-2014, 10:06 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBlunted View Post
how hot is this, wouldn't you know scoville rating?? Im obv an outsider that stumbled across this thread. Im just wondering because I like peppers hotter the better. Never had green chile from NM. Do you guys use scorpion or ghost chiles too to intensify the heat?
Green chile comes in different heat ranges, but they are generally not as hot as Jalenpeos or "scorpion or ghost chiles". Pretty mild actually, most New Mexicans that I know are more interested in flavor and freshness og the Green Chile. There are other spicier chile's and peppers if you want.

Quote:
A wide range of intensity is found in commonly used peppers:

Scoville heat units (SHU)

Bell pepper0 SHU
New Mexico green chilis 1,500 SHU
Jalapeño 2,500-8,000 SHU
Habanero 100,000–350,000 SHU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico