Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 02:36 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,935,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Bent View Post
Movie stars live here and they make a lot of movies here -- is that a plus or a minus?

That's a minus! http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/citadel.gif (broken link) Just kidding. I'm born and raised in LA, so celebrities mean nothing to me. They all pee just like the rest of us! (except you can sell theirs on Ebay and someone would buy it! )

Thank you for the responses so far! More responses, please!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 03:38 PM

946 posts, read 3,266,462 times
Maybe I should have mentioned -- if you are into history, it goes way back here

It starts with the cliff dwellers -- and you can still see the remains of their buildings north of Santa Fe

Then the Pueblo Indians settled in their present locations around 1200-1300.

Then the Apaches and Navajos come.

Then the Conquistadors come followed by Hispanic settlers.

Then the Anglos come from Missouri as traders down the Santa Fe trail.

Then Kearny comes through leading the US conquest of the Southwest.

Then Route 66 comes through.

Then the railroad goes south of us, 66 moves south, and the airport is in Albuquerque. All the jobs, industry and population go to Albuquerque. Santa Fe lives on through art, tourism, scenery and a consistent Hispanic-Pueblo architectural style.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:30 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,412,329 times
Pros: People
Food
Isolation (of sorts)
Weather
Fishin!

Cons:
Weather, I know I Listed it as a pro, but it does affect my skin!

For Clayton btw, Clayton New Mexico - Clayton Tourism Department - Sponsored by The Union County Leader

Old 01-22-2008, 05:53 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,425,300 times
Things you might like:
* Friendly people
* Landscape
* Culture
* Food

Things you might not like:
* Slow pace
* Lack of intellectual stimulation

Old 01-22-2008, 06:34 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,769,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
Things you might like:
* Friendly people
* Landscape
* Culture
* Food

Things you might not like:
* Slow pace
* Lack of intellectual stimulation
The last one on the"not like" list is very true for the eastern part of the state. I'm moving back to Akron, Ohio for family issues, and to some really great museums, culture events galore, concert events and shopping. Nothing comes close to the kindness of NM people. I plan on coming back, but not to Clovis/Portales. Nicest folks, but nothing there to really stimulate ones self culturally. You have to drive 100 miles to Lubbock to get your city fix.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:38 PM

775 posts, read 2,588,535 times
Default Pros and Cons

I would say most anyplace in N.M. has nice people and GREAT PLACES TO LIVE. My best advice is the East Mountain Area. RENT and explore N.M. for a month or two before deciding where you might want to spend the rest of your life. el pintada kid

Old 02-25-2008, 06:28 PM

286 posts, read 1,322,529 times
Northern New Mexico - Taos County

Pros:
Amazing scenery - mountains, trees, rivers - hard to believe we're in the same state as ABQ and Las Cruces
Outdoor activities - Skiing (of course), rafting, hiking, biking, golf
History - between the Taos Pueblo and history of the original Spanish settlers, enough to fill many books
Great food, friendly people (for the most part)
Definitely 4 seasons. Summers are much cooler here (80 is a hot day!). Fall is beautiful. As to winter...well, we've had more than we really wanted this year!

Cons:
Far from the "big city" - no Walmart Supercenters, Home Depot or Department Stores (I know that's a plus for a lot of you!)
The cost of real estate in the town of Taos and in some of the surrounding areas is high. Prices farther out are still affordable.
Not a lot of jobs. Most people either work in the service industry, work for the county or the state or work on their own.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:30 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,628,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Pros: People
Food
Isolation (of sorts)
Weather
Fishin!

Cons:
Weather, I know I Listed it as a pro, but it does affect my skin!

For Clayton btw, Clayton New Mexico - Clayton Tourism Department - Sponsored by The Union County Leader
Hey Brian .....has the new Prison opened up yet as i know that will bring alot of jobs to Clayton. Also did they finally 4 lane the highway to Raton as i know the DOT was working on that.

6/3

Old 02-28-2008, 08:24 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,029,479 times
canibeyou,

It sounds from your post like you have not visited the state. That would be my best advice to you. I do not live in NM yet, but I will be moving to Santa Fe in several months. I visited the state dozens of times over 35+ years.

New Mexico is not for everyone; it is different than any other state in the country. You will only know if it "feels" right if you get to know it personally before making the decision to move there. If you do not know where you want to live, you would need to travel around the state as differents parts are vastly different.

What I like best? The mountains, the great wide open spaces, the sky, the weather, the sunsets, the friendly people, the food (green chile!!!), the neat architecture, the laid back relaxed lifestyle, the diverse rich culture. Then there is a quality it is hard to name: I guess "enchantment" comes closest.

Haven't found any negatives yet ... I guess after I move I will discover some.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:32 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,412,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Hey Brian .....has the new Prison opened up yet as i know that will bring alot of jobs to Clayton. Also did they finally 4 lane the highway to Raton as i know the DOT was working on that.

6/3
She is nearly done. If I remember correctly they will start a tour for the locals early June and have it up and running in late june. They have already hired alot of people. As for the 4 lane. Its partially done. From what I understand they are gone broke with it. The monies were diverted to the Gov Richardson Railway Thats just what one of the workers was telling me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico