Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2015, 08:25 PM

69 posts, read 108,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossingstenant View Post
I was finally able to see my apartment and I was absolutely blown away. It is incredible. I feel so fortunate and thankful. I'm including pictures below. There were many people seeing apartments in Crossing today, so move-ins on higher floors must be getting very close!

Attachment 155955

Attachment 155956

Attachment 155957

Attachment 155958

Attachment 155959

Attachment 155960

Attachment 155961
Absolutely STUNNING!! Congrats! Those views are outrageous

Our two units are directly across from one another!

Old 08-18-2015, 08:59 PM

94 posts, read 216,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aml1026 View Post
Absolutely STUNNING!! Congrats! Those views are outrageous

Our two units are directly across from one another!
Nice!

May I ask it was the most expensive one for the two bedrooms?

Old 08-18-2015, 09:11 PM

170 posts, read 315,575 times
I got to see my unit today and am slightly panicking about how small it seemed--especially the bedroom. The "walk-in" closet is a weird shape, and barely bigger than a regular closet. And I'm not sure if we'll be able to fit our queen-size bed in there; or if we do, we might not have space to walk around it. Time to go buy all new furniture, I guess. Because I can totally afford that. *sigh*

Old 08-18-2015, 09:31 PM

15 posts, read 26,660 times
Default Waiting and hoping

I was emailed last week out of the blue while I was upstate camping! It was not fun trying to get paperwork scanned and emailed over using cell phones outdoors.

I am nervous because since we applied I have enrolled in graduate school and am pursuing my master's degree in childhood education. I left my full time job as a result so now we only have my partner's income, which still qualifies us for a moderate income level middle 1br or least expensive 2br. Submitted our paperwork on Friday, hoping we get a call for an interview, just nervous about the change in our situation. Has anyone else had a change since they applied? Do they let you know if you do not get an interview and why? So nervous!!!

Old 08-18-2015, 09:44 PM

357 posts, read 657,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossingstenant View Post
I was finally able to see my apartment and I was absolutely blown away. It is incredible. I feel so fortunate and thankful. I'm including pictures below. There were many people seeing apartments in Crossing today, so move-ins on higher floors must be getting very close!

Attachment 155955

Attachment 155956

Attachment 155957

Attachment 155958

Attachment 155959

Attachment 155960

Attachment 155961
Congrats!!!! So excited for you guys.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:46 PM

357 posts, read 657,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by croquemme View Post
I got to see my unit today and am slightly panicking about how small it seemed--especially the bedroom. The "walk-in" closet is a weird shape, and barely bigger than a regular closet. And I'm not sure if we'll be able to fit our queen-size bed in there; or if we do, we might not have space to walk around it. Time to go buy all new furniture, I guess. Because I can totally afford that. *sigh*
I had the same panic lol...lets just say Salvation Army got a rather large donation from me today.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:56 PM

457 posts, read 737,717 times
Congrats CrossingTenant on the fabulous corner unit. Also, congrats to everyone else who is moving in.

My coordinator suddenly became MIA.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:04 AM

163 posts, read 271,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lichopefull View Post
I was emailed last week out of the blue while I was upstate camping! It was not fun trying to get paperwork scanned and emailed over using cell phones outdoors.

I am nervous because since we applied I have enrolled in graduate school and am pursuing my master's degree in childhood education. I left my full time job as a result so now we only have my partner's income, which still qualifies us for a moderate income level middle 1br or least expensive 2br. Submitted our paperwork on Friday, hoping we get a call for an interview, just nervous about the change in our situation. Has anyone else had a change since they applied? Do they let you know if you do not get an interview and why? So nervous!!!
The only rule that matters here is that the household CANNOT be comprised ENTIRELY of full-time students, so as long as your partner is not a full-time student I think you'll be fine. The change in income bracket doesn't matter, so long as there are units left in those price ranges. The only thing we know for certain is "sold out" is low income 1-bedrooms.

Fingers crossed for you!

Old 08-19-2015, 12:11 AM

163 posts, read 271,641 times
A question and an observation...

The leasing agent who does your initial interview...is he/she with you throughout the whole process? Do he/she meet you at the actual building to show you the unit?

And about the sizes of units...one thing I've noticed in life and working in real estate is that in a weird way, spaces can feel bigger once you get furniture in them. Sounds counterintuitive but you can't really trust your eye to feel it out until the furniture is actually there, and you usually see that it actually has a smaller footprint and a lower profile than you anticipated...

Old 08-19-2015, 06:24 AM

22 posts, read 32,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danseurderrick View Post
A question and an observation...

The leasing agent who does your initial interview...is he/she with you throughout the whole process? Do he/she meet you at the actual building to show you the unit?

And about the sizes of units...one thing I've noticed in life and working in real estate is that in a weird way, spaces can feel bigger once you get furniture in them. Sounds counterintuitive but you can't really trust your eye to feel it out until the furniture is actually there, and you usually see that it actually has a smaller footprint and a lower profile than you anticipated...

Thus far my leasing agent has been the same from my initial e-mail through the building tour (which is where I am in the process). She has been amazing, by the way. Very helpful and hopeful for me.

I agree with your second statement fully and wholeheartedly! Both of my studio apartments I've lived in since moving into Manhattan have barely topped 500sqft. My current studio is actually bigger than my first, by 20sqft., but because of the layout, I had a panic attack when I saw it as it seemed much smaller. After moving things in, I can completely see the size. Sometimes having stuff in really makes it seem much bigger.

I think asking for/doing some measurements will help alleviate concerns for those that have any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.